? for anyone with experience using cruisecare to cancel cruise

rzbkan95

Hello,

Well, it looks as though we might have to cancel our trip. We were scheduled to leave sunday. I have a question regarding anyone's experience with cruisecare insurance. I have contacted celebrity and waiting for a return call but I thought I might get some info from anyone on here that has actually utilized it.

We are a family of 5. One person in our group was involved in a car accident over a year ago. He has had ongoing issues mainly headaches and memory related issues but nothing that would prevent him from traveling with the family. However, after speaking with a different dr. yesterday he was informed that it was HIS opinion after reviewing previous MRI's etc. that he likely needed surgery to repair c1, c2 vertebrae in the neck and that travel would be a serious risk. He referred him to a neuro surgeon which is scheduled in sept.

Based on this, we are obviously thinking of postponing our trip b/c it's not worth serious injury if surgery could repair and make it more safe at a later time.

I have read the restrictions and Im really unsure if this would be considered "pre-existing" and not covered. How difficult is cruise care to deal with and what type of documentation is required?

Thanks, JC

Yes, I did contact cruise care and do feel that it will not be covered. I am now going back and forth between celebrity and cruisecare regarding the cancel anytime cruise credit. It says we should be covered for 75% of non-refundable cruise credit if wd cancel for any reason not otherwise covered. I am on hold with celebrity to more specifics on this option.

Yes, I did contact cruise care and do feel that it will not be covered. I am now going back and forth between celebrity and cruisecare regarding the cancel anytime cruise credit. It says we should be covered for 75% of non-refundable cruise credit if wd cancel for any reason not otherwise covered. I am on hold with celebrity to more specifics on this option.

Sounds like you have your answer there ..... but be sure to check back in and let us know what they say.

Well, after talking with celebrity and with family we decided to do the "cancel for any reason" and receive the 75% credit towards future cruise rather than sailing without the rest of our fam. According to celeb, they will reimburse us for all taxes, etc immediately and we will submit claim to cruise care for the future credit.

The reason for me initially coming to the board with questions yesterday was because when I called Cruise care insurance the information was very confusing as the customer service reps were not very helpful in answering questions--they basically read word for word the page which I had already read and sent me back and forth b/t celeb cust serv and cruise care cust service. One would say that's a ? for celeb and then celeb would say that's a ? for cruise care, etc. very frustrating.

The problem was I had questions regarding their interpretation of the policy/restrictions regarding pre-existing injuries- the rep for cruise care just said she didn't know and I'd just have to wait and see......?? Well, wait and see isn't an option given the price we paid for all 5 of us--if we were going to have to eat the whole amount obviously the 3 of us would have continued on with the cruise. She never mentioned the cancel anytime option. Later in the day, I called back to cruise care and luckily got a very informative rep (Jenna) that was able to give me specific info regarding how they determine pre-existing conditions, etc. If I would have gotten her the first time it would have been much less stressful.

Regardless, even though my brother-in-law received new information not previously known, due to the fact that he had been seeing dr.'s on/off for an injury the issue would not have been covered. He was previously cleared to travel but after getting a new more in-depth scan he was advised not to travel. But....he had been seeing dr.'s 60 days prior. It seemed murky--maybe we could have argued but chances are we would not have received re-imbursement. Cancel anytime seemed easier and all things considered is a good deal when cancelling 3 days before sailing.

I don't usually get the insurance b/c I've always thought it was a waste but for whatever reason I did get insurance for all 5 of us and so glad I did. I would recommend getting it especially when booking several months in advance as you just never know what might come up.

Hope this helps anyone in the future dealing with a similar issue. We are looking at booking another Caribbean cruise in Jan or Feb. I briefly looked at itineraries/ships---saw that both the silouhette, summit and maybe equinox has itineraries to carib in those months--any opinion on which ship is better. Never sailed with celebrity--we were booked on equinox.

Thanks again for the responses/info! jc

Well, after talking with celebrity and with family we decided to do the "cancel for any reason" and receive the 75% credit towards future cruise rather than sailing without the rest of our fam. According to celeb, they will reimburse us for all taxes, etc immediately and we will submit claim to cruise care for the future credit.

The reason for me initially coming to the board with questions yesterday was because when I called Cruise care insurance the information was very confusing as the customer service reps were not very helpful in answering questions--they basically read word for word the page which I had already read and sent me back and forth b/t celeb cust serv and cruise care cust service. One would say that's a ? for celeb and then celeb would say that's a ? for cruise care, etc. very frustrating.

The problem was I had questions regarding their interpretation of the policy/restrictions regarding pre-existing injuries- the rep for cruise care just said she didn't know and I'd just have to wait and see......?? Well, wait and see isn't an option given the price we paid for all 5 of us--if we were going to have to eat the whole amount obviously the 3 of us would have continued on with the cruise. She never mentioned the cancel anytime option. Later in the day, I called back to cruise care and luckily got a very informative rep (Jenna) that was able to give me specific info regarding how they determine pre-existing conditions, etc. If I would have gotten her the first time it would have been much less stressful.

Regardless, even though my brother-in-law received new information not previously known, due to the fact that he had been seeing dr.'s on/off for an injury the issue would not have been covered. He was previously cleared to travel but after getting a new more in-depth scan he was advised not to travel. But....he had been seeing dr.'s 60 days prior. It seemed murky--maybe we could have argued but chances are we would not have received re-imbursement. Cancel anytime seemed easier and all things considered is a good deal when cancelling 3 days before sailing.

I don't usually get the insurance b/c I've always thought it was a waste but for whatever reason I did get insurance for all 5 of us and so glad I did. I would recommend getting it especially when booking several months in advance as you just never know what might come up.

Hope this helps anyone in the future dealing with a similar issue. We are looking at booking another Caribbean cruise in Jan or Feb. I briefly looked at itineraries/ships---saw that both the silouhette, summit and maybe equinox has itineraries to carib in those months--any opinion on which ship is better. Never sailed with celebrity--we were booked on equinox.

Thanks again for the responses/info! jc

☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know about the 75% clause...guess I should re read the Cruise Cafe policy.

Pre existing is a very tricky area...

A few yrs ago a family member recd a very serious diagnosis and had to cancel a very expensive British Isles cruise on Princess just after final payment had been made. Pvt ins from a standard company was involved b/c trip involved airfare, which is not covered by CruiseCare.

.Despite perfect documentation from the dr, who discovered a lump which turned out to be malignant, (requiring immed surgery and aftercare); and confirmation from the radiologist and the surgeon; the first ins rep we encountered claimed that newly discovered cancer was almost always a pre existing condition.,..WOW...everyone on our end went ballistic.,we were able to get a new rep, aplogy from the ins company and full coverage . Was an unpleasant experience ..all did turn out well

Hope OP and family enjoy the trip in the future,! We like Silhouette and Equinox..two favorites.,Summit nice too but older

A little late but it might help someone else...I would have cancelled and made the claim without deciding up front whether you wanted the 75% or not.

We actually did this...just sent in a claim, and THEY (cruisecare) came back with "unfortunately, that is not a covered reason, but we can offer you the 75% instead". We knew it would not be 100% covered, but you just never know how they will find.