Dzibilchaltun (or Uxmal) handicapped ride-along

Buckimion

My wife has her heart on seeing some Mayan ruins on an upcoming Carnival cruise, however, she is not the most cognizant person when it comes to keeping track of what is happening around her. I recently received a prosthetic for my right leg and have no illusions about hiking significantly, but I may be in just good enough shape to ride along and keep tabs on her (at whatever host station or entrance there may be) rather than entrust the tour providers. If I pay the excursion fare, can I hang back and perhaps just see what I can without extensively walking the grounds? If I can't go, she says she will be willing to go alone on the 'assurance' that she wouldn't be left behind, but she isn't aware that Carnival doesn't actually host these excursions.

• 1 month later...
Don't bother going to Uxmal. There is a lot of walking on uneven ground, up and down staircases some are just inches wide. You cannot see the ruins unless you walk, probably about a mile total.

I have read that much of Uxmal is accessible. There are boardwalk paths to the major places. Granted, he would not see the entire thing, but he could enjoy a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As of Feb 2018 Uxmal had a lot of ramps that would allow access to the large grassy areas and many going up to ruins areas. That said, the ramps to ruins were very long, or short and steep. A cart with ability to handle short grass would work, but a wheelchair would be exhausting. Site is very large and the back area is accessible only by climbing rock stairs.

The entrance is over a hill that does have a good set of ramps beside the steps. These were actually much easier to walk than the steps.

The shop and snack bar front area is very modern but has some terraces in it. Also has shade.