Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 34

pierces

After waiting for, well, all of my life, we joined the migration up the Left Coast to watch the 2017 Total Eclipse Event in Oregon. Our good friends who live near Portland were kind enough to let us use their house as a base of operations but any attempt to photograph a rare event often brings the “Man plans and the Gods laugh” saying to mind. I’m happy to say, I got the last laugh this time. Beautiful weather. Good spot to shoot. No mechanical hiccups. It was an awesome day. Even juggling two cameras and being a couple of seconds late for the “Diamond Ring” at the end of the 97 seconds of totality ended well with this HUGE “diamond”. Check “Shoot Total Eclipse” off of the Bucket List.

In The Sky With Diamonds

p2484171750-5.jpg

Dave

We couldn't have been that far away from each other, but the angle of the "diamond" was completely different for me. Interesting. I was furiously clicking that remote button while watching the sky. Now I'm getting ready to take pictures of the annular eclipse in 2023 :D.

enhance

These people had an interesting angle for the eclipse. There was also a person in an ultralight flying around us. I hope he wasn't wearing solar goggles!

enhance

Vic

Save

Save

Edited by Victress2007

All I got was an 81% eclipse, with cloudy skies - and I didn't prepare for it at all other than bringing my camera to work. No sun or ND filters or films, no eye protection, nothing - just stepped outside the office, snapped a few shots at the point of maximum coverage, and then jogged back into the office to avoid the rain that started minutes after the eclipse peaked:

Here are two snaps of the eclipse with no filters - just aperture of F45, 1/4000 shutter:

724E7FA9F146420680316D4EAA7F8191.jpg

94BD011556D44B9C8DB569CDEF2BD701.jpg

And some of those funny crescent-shaped light reflections coming through the trees:

FCA976218B98408EABD725E7D251DF65.jpg

B7407DF8A5C34A69BABDE969733CEEDD.jpg

We couldn't have been that far away from each other, but the angle of the "diamond" was completely different for me. Interesting. I was furiously clicking that remote button while watching the sky. Now I'm getting ready to take pictures of the annular eclipse in 2023 :D.

enhance

Vic

ave

I was on a road (Perkins?) between two open fields down from Lake Labish elementary school, just off of 99E. The difference in angle was likely because I rotated my mount ring on the big Sigma to keep the camera level with the horizon out of habit.

I didn't realize Happy Valley was so close to Oregon City. I saw the signs when we went to Costco a couple of times.

Dave

Birds & Bugs, playing with the new lens over the weekend - rainy and overcast the entire day, so all shooting in lower lighting conditions even though it was middle of the afternoon. Had to run for shelter a few times when the rain picked up from sprinkle to downpour...

First of the migrating birds for fall have started to come in - male American Redstart in the cypress forest:

original.jpg

Red-bellied woodpecker showing off part of his very long tongue used to pull ants and grubs out of the trees he drills:

original.jpg

Very close up with a great blue heron hunting down low under the pond apple trees, in the shallow wetland waters:

original.jpg

Pretty, light-blue dragonfly perched on a lilypad:

original.jpg

A bee on a purple flower, gathering pollen:

original.jpg

Great shots of the eclipse. Hubbs and I drove downstate near Carbondale, IL for it. We didn't want to get involved with the crowds in Carbondale, so found a huge soybean field in Equal, IL. There was a gravel road going down the middle of it, so we just stopped and parked there. It was really awesome - I wish I was a good enough photographer to have gotten some shots. We had a huge thunderstorm with a lot of lightning just past us, but clear skies above us, so the storm just added to the surreal atmosphere, with the eerie light from the total eclipse.

Just curious if the experts would know of any websites that are selling pictures of the eclipse? Would like to get a nice one from Carbondale.