Papua New Guinea or Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji.

pjules

Just curious if anyone did a cruise to Papua New Guinea, and how does it compare to other South Pacific island itineraries? I am looking at options out of Australia. I haven't been to that part of the world yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a cruise to PNG in November 2014 and loved it! We have also done several to the South Pacfic. PNG is probably not as touristy as the South Pacific as they don't have as many cruise ships visiting. Both cruises offer great snorkelling depending on the islands you visit. If you visit PNG when the Drum and Kundu festival is on (usually in November in Alotau)you will see some amazing dancing and costums. I think they also do a mock one for when other cruises visit but try and see the real thing if you are thinking of going. I think the South Pacific cruises have more snorkelling and swimming and attract more families. It wouldn't matter which one you choose, you would enjoy it as there is lots to see and do on both cruises. Any cruise is a good cruise :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just curious if anyone did a cruise to Papua New Guinea, and how does it compare to other South Pacific island itineraries? I am looking at options out of Australia. I haven't been to that part of the world yet.

I realise this is an old thread, but anyway ...

The main difference between most South Pacific ports and most PNG ports is the degree of development and tourist infrastructure.

Across the South Pacific most places are set up for, and even depend on, tourism. In PNG the tourist potential is almost untapped.

The PNG scenery is unbelievable. Huge mountain chains, smoking volcanoes, coral reefs, idyllic tropical islands, and people with an ancient and fascinating culture.

If you get the chance, see PNG. It's one of the few really wild places left in the world.

The currency is the Kina. Australian dollars are widely accepted, but usually at a terrible exchange rate. I didn't see anyone using US dollars, but I suppose it is possible at an even worse exchange rate.