Where to stay in NY before cruising on Gem

BiancaV

August 11 actually might be a busy day in wp

Last day for all the corporate college interns! Lol. Long farewell lunches then off to happy hour!!!

Keep your car parked wherever the ritz tells you and I assume they have their own space?

Our cops are good and they are vigilant so best to just walk in the area no need to drive if drinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's what I was thinking especially after the drive from MA. The ritz has valet only it says. I'll be happy to get there, settle in and explore. I did a google map and "walked" the streets virtually which was pretty cool so I saw all the spots you mentioned which was great!

Thankyou so much for all your advice. I'm very happy I changed locations. 😊 Keep me posted if you have more info that pops up!!

I walked past there yesterday and saw that mortons steakhouse is moving to that general and looked close to ready to open

They are just relocating from another area of town

I walked past there yesterday and saw that mortons steakhouse is moving to that general and looked close to ready to open

They are just relocating from another area of town

Ohh thanks! My husband would love that!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ok I’m back! Dropped the ball and made the mistake of not booking a hotel and we’re cruising in June. I looked in White Plains and surrounding areas and it’s very pricey and not much available. We’re looking for something like a Residence Inn that has a separate bedroom. Please help! I don’t know any other area besides the White Plains area and it was so convenient to not have to drive through the city to get to the cruise port.

6 hours ago, BiancaV said:

Ok I’m back! Dropped the ball and made the mistake of not booking a hotel and we’re cruising in June. I looked in White Plains and surrounding areas and it’s very pricey and not much available. We’re looking for something like a Residence Inn that has a separate bedroom. Please help! I don’t know any other area besides the White Plains area and it was so convenient to not have to drive through the city to get to the cruise port.

Is your date June 20?  What is your budget? Are you willing to prepay? Did you look at Norwalk?  IMO White Plains is out of the way if you come down I84 to I91 to either the Merritt Parkway or I95.  Norwalk, Stamford, Greenwich, & Rye are convenient for getting on the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Saw Mill & Henry Hudson to the Manhattan Cruiseport.

The date is actually the 21st. All those places you mentioned I have been checking out. I’ll take a look at Norwalk too. Everything in town is $300-$400. I had wanted to stay around $200-$250.

15 hours ago, BiancaV said:

The date is actually the 21st. All those places you mentioned I have been checking out. I’ll take a look at Norwalk too. Everything in town is $300-$400. I had wanted to stay around $200-$250.

Stamford, CT is less than an hour drive to the port.  Stamford Suites, on Bedford Street would probably run about $175.  If you do not need a suite, La Quinta - just off Exit 6 from I-95 - would probably be less than $150 - also ajoind a pretty decent diner for meals.

After several years of trying the Stamford area hotels, we have settled on the La Quinta as our go to destination.  It’s a budget hotel, but we are very comfortable in the 2 queen room, particularly if we expect to hang out at the hotel.  They offer AAA, senior, and military rates. It’s a very easy on/easy off from I95.  For your date the rack rate is $95 plus tax (AAA base rate is $85.50). The 2 queen room has a microwave and frig and does not face I95.  The hotel offers free breakfast (nothing fancy), but that is adequate for our needs.  As Navybankerteacher pointed out, the Stamford Diner is connected to the hotel.  It’s an older property and does have a half flight of stairs to get to the elevators.  We try to get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor.  The rooms do have heat/air conditioning units.

I got a sense from your posts that you were looking at more high end hotels. If that is the case, then the LaQuinta might not suit your needs.

Another option if you want a suite is Hampton Inn in Stamford, which would be just under $200.  However, their website says they are undergoing renovations during business hours in June and that some of the suite balconies might not be available.  We stayed there twice and liked it, but not enough to pay almost double the price.  It’s a very pleasant location fronting on the Mill River Park instead of being right in the more urban downtown center.  If you’re interested in this, I’d call the manager to discuss the room as it’s difficult to tell from the pictures if there is a separate bedroom.

2 hours ago, 138east said:

After several years of trying the Stamford area hotels, we have settled on the La Quinta as our go to destination.  It’s a budget hotel, but we are very comfortable in the 2 queen room, particularly if we expect to hang out at the hotel.  They offer AAA, senior, and military rates. It’s a very easy on/easy off from I95.  For your date the rack rate is $95 plus tax (AAA base rate is $85.50). The 2 queen room has a microwave and frig and does not face I95.  The hotel offers free breakfast (nothing fancy), but that is adequate for our needs.  As Navybankerteacher pointed out, the Stamford Diner is connected to the hotel.  It’s an older property and does have a half flight of stairs to get to the elevators.  We try to get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor.  The rooms do have heat/air conditioning units.

I got a sense from your posts that you were looking at more high end hotels. If that is the case, then the LaQuinta might not suit your needs.

Another option if you want a suite is Hampton Inn in Stamford, which would be just under $200.  However, their website says they are undergoing renovations during business hours in June and that some of the suite balconies might not be available.  We stayed there twice and liked it, but not enough to pay almost double the price.  It’s a very pleasant location fronting on the Mill River Park instead of being right in the more urban downtown center.  If you’re interested in this, I’d call the manager to discuss the room as it’s difficult to tell from the pictures if there is a separate bedroom.

Thanks so much. I’m going to look into both and see what works!