Cruise Rome to Venice Excursions

CCHOW81

Hi my husband and I will be sailing on the upcoming cruise from Rome to Venice. Places in between to include Argostoli- Greece, Albania, Dubrovnik, and Malta. There are so many excursions to possibly go on. Does anyone have any recemmendations in regards to any very good or very bad excursions/experiences in these port stops?

Thank you!

We found the Tuk-Tuk tour in Dubrovnik to be a bit different and very good. It was offered last year as an included tour by Regent:

https://www.ecotuktoursdu.hr/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g295371-d10403100-Reviews-Eco_Tuk_Tours_Dubrovnik-Dubrovnik_Dubrovnik_Neretva_County_Dalmatia.html

Hi my husband and I will be sailing on the upcoming cruise from Rome to Venice. Places in between to include Argostoli- Greece, Albania, Dubrovnik, and Malta. There are so many excursions to possibly go on. Does anyone have any recemmendations in regards to any very good or very bad excursions/experiences in these port stops?

Thank you!

It would be helpful to know which type of tours you are generally interested in: food related, wine tasting, museums, hiking (or other active type tours), bus tours that drive around the sites, etc. If your itinerary is port intensive, you may want to allow yourself some time to recover from all of the excursions and perhaps take one or two half day tours (or walk around the town to try some local food and check out the area).

Read the excursions carefully. Some of them have hours of driving to and from the place(s) of interest and little time actually there (wherever "there" may be:-). We love Regent's food oriented excursions in Europe but they are Regent Choice excursions and can come with a hefty price tag. Since we have been to these ports a few times, we are no longer looking for long tours to see sites. So, there are lots of variables.

I will try to give you some more answers (rather than questions that you could probably do without ;))

Assuming you are on the Voyager 28 Sept sailing from Rome to Venice:

Sorrento: Either go to Pompeii, or just do your own thing in the beautiful town of Sorrento (you will tender ashore from the ship and then mini-bus shuttles will take you up from the port to the centre of town). IMO don't bother to go across to the Island of Capri, unless you have a real yearning to visit.

Taormina: The walking tour is very interesting. Again this is a beautiful town with lots of bars & restaurants down the side streets running from the attractive main street.

Kotor: Get up early for the sail-in; it is beautiful. The main attraction of Kotor is the Old Town, which is a short 5 minute walk from where the ship will be docked (or where the ship's tenders will dock)

Venice: Again, don't miss the sail-in. An excursion including a gondola ride is fun (as long as the weather is good!)

As you are looking at excursions relatively late, you may find that some you would like are "Sold-out". If so contact your Regent office, either direct or via your Travel Agent, and ask to be placed on the wait-list.

I will try to give you some more answers (rather than questions that you could probably do without ;))

Wow - not sure if that was an appropriate response. Nevertheless, I agree that sail-in's are lovely as is walking around the ports (as I mentioned). The TS was asking about specific tours and it is a bit difficult to make recommendations without knowing what the person likes to do. However, if the TS has not been to these ports previously, a proper excursion may be in order.

We are on that same cruise. Since we have done most of these ports before we did not do any tours except Kotor. We did a short 3 hour one as I understand old town is interesting. We have been there before, but do not remember it.

In Sorrento, either do Pompeii or just stay in Sorrento. It is lovely. One time we did a private tour where my husband made cheese. Sorrento is lovely.

In Taormina we took the transfer to town. We just love town, but some people have done the God Fathers tour.

These are all small ports.

Dubrovnik is lovely just to walk around town. One time my husband implored me to walk almost the whole wall. OMG. Over the top tired.

This is a lovely cruise for us as we don't have any big container ports. We just love the towns. Sorry, I have not been a lot of help. Looking forward to seeing you.

We are staying 4 extra days in Venice and 5 extra days in Rome at the end. Can't wait.

My husband and I are on this cruise, we have not been to the port city in Albania, but spent a number of days in Tirana, and would recommend taking one of the included tours to the Capital, and visit to the National Historical Museum. Ruins of fort at Kruja are interesting, but the rest of it felt like a typical tourist trap. The Shala Valley in northern Albania is breathtaking but too far to visit from the port.