Boston Airport / Black Falcon Cruise Terminal

bsjcb2000

Hello -- we are flying in 10/14 for the 10/15 Serenade of the Sea's sailing. Not knowing anything about the area, a business associate said that they stay at Townplace Suites in Chelsea when they travel through Boston. I do have a reservation there for the 14th but wasn't sure if that was an ideal location - our flight comes in early evening so we dont' need something that will be accessible for sight seeing, on Friday, and Saturday, we plan to be at the port around 10:30 so no sightseeing then. Really, just a place to sleep. The hotel has a shuttle from the airport, but looks like we will need to arrange for a taxi in the morning to the port. Any suggestions? (on different hotel, or anything we should be aware of or plan for?)

Thank you!

I don't do hotels in Boston (stay with my son), and I'm sure Carole (138east) will have some suggestions. I assume you are satisfied with the rate at the Townplace, and I do know that hotels in Boston are often crazy expensive, but I'm not sure I'd stay in Chelsea. It's not one of the better burbs, pretty shady in fact. Many cruisers use the Marriott (IIRC) in Quincy as they have a shuttle to Black Falcon terminal available.

Taxi from the Townplace to Black Falcon will run $25-40 depending on traffic.

What are you paying tax included for Townplace Suites on Oct 14th? Chelsea is really not that appealing.

Hotwire has a 3* hotel right in the Seaport District for $277.67 ($222 + $55.67) tax included right now. It's probably the Aloft. You can hop on the Silver Line for free, go to the World Trade Center street stop, and either walk or take a short cab ride from the cab stand across the street on Seaport Lane by the Seaport hotel entrance. The port is only a few blocks from this hotel and a cheap cab ride, so staying in the Seaport area could actually end up being cheaper than going to Chelsea.

Just be aware there is NOTHING in the area of the Townplace for food. Its in a rather industrial part of Chelsea.

And the Seaport area now has quite a number of dining options in addition to being a safer area than Chelsea.

Thank you!!! I'm going to look into the suggestions... my rate is about the same $269 + taxes/fee's so certainly seems like I would be better off switching!!

If you switch, post back for more Seaport info. If you could get on a rental car shuttle with luggage, you can use the free Silver Line from the airport terminal lower level. Just be sure to get on the rearmost door for better access to the luggage racks and more space. I will provide more details if you choose to do this.

The Seaport area is very new by Boston standards and there are no "bad" hotels.

And the Seaport area now has quite a number of dining options in addition to being a safer area than Chelsea.

I agree, plenty of hotels and great restaurants in Seaport. The Westin is a good option, you can see the airport and cruise terminal from there, and walk to the water and the strips of restaurants, etc. Enjoy.

Thanks for your suggestions -- we went ahead and switched to Aloft Boston Seaport so, And, I've confirmed a flight change for us which has us arriving on Friday @ 10:45 am... I know our room wouldn't be ready at that point, so I figured we would go to the hotel, leave our bags with Bell Services (?) and then have the afternoon and evening to explore some --- Please share any suggestions for me - transportation between the airport and Aloft // Aloft & the Cruise Terminal, eating places, and what you consider "must see" things... We have never been to Boston so are completely open to suggestions & guidance... We don't "shop" a lot, would prefer to spend that time seeing the sights... Either way, Thanks again for the suggestions of getting us to a better area to walk around in!!!

My "must see" for Boston is Old Ironsides at the Charlestown Navy Yard. This and the Bunker Hill monument and museum are the end of the Freedom Trail walk. You could take a cab to Warren Tavern in Charlestown (oldest tavern in Mass.) for lunch, and then see the Constitution. Take a water taxi to Battery Wharf, walk through the North End, and on to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, and if you are interested in history, be sure to visit the museum in Faneuil Hall, of the "Ancient and Honorable Company of Artillery of Mass" (the 3rd oldest chartered military company in the world). Dinner in the North End and taxi back to the hotel. Dining places near the hotel are Legal Seafood's Harborside, Legal Seafood's Test Kitchen, Morton's Steakhouse. Uber and Lyft are readily available in Boston, my son uses them all the time.

Not sure if Aloft has an airport shuttle, but a taxi would not be too much, and the Silver Line bus from Logan would be free and the hotel is a short walk from the World Trade Center stop.

Thanks for your suggestions -- we went ahead and switched to Aloft Boston Seaport so, And, I've confirmed a flight change for us which has us arriving on Friday @ 10:45 am... I know our room wouldn't be ready at that point, so I figured we would go to the hotel, leave our bags with Bell Services (?) and then have the afternoon and evening to explore some --- Please share any suggestions for me - transportation between the airport and Aloft // Aloft & the Cruise Terminal, eating places, and what you consider "must see" things... We have never been to Boston so are completely open to suggestions & guidance... We don't "shop" a lot, would prefer to spend that time seeing the sights... Either way, Thanks again for the suggestions of getting us to a better area to walk around in!!!

Transportation between the airport and Aloft is cab, Uber, or Silver Line plus cab or walk. As I said before you get off at the World Trade Center outdoor street stop (first stop after leaving the airport), walk to the traffic light in the direction the bus is going, cross the street to Seaport Lane and walk down Seaport Lane to the taxi stand in front of the Seaport Hotel entrance.

Take a cab if Uber from the hotel to the pier.

To get to downtown Boston walk back to the World Trade Center Sindoor Station to go inbound to South Station where you can do a free transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife. Where you go depends on what you want to see - walk the Freedom Trail from Boston Common, go to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, go to Back Bay, go to the North End, go to Harvard square, go to the JFK Museum, etc etc. Do some research to see what appeals and post back. Boston is very much a walking city, but the Subway will get you to a starting point.

Thanks !!! originally we were getting in late so didn't really take any time to look into options of things to see/do. Now that we have all afternoon/evening there, I'm excited to do some research. I'll post back once I have some thoughts... thanks again.

Hi - Definitely consider the Seaport District where I now live. I am so lucky to be able to watch the cruise ships sail in and out and I can also see the planes landing and taking off.

One of the newest hotels in the area is YOTEL Boston, which has phenomenal rates for the area. This clean and bright hotel is so convenient, you actually catch the Silver Line in the basement of the building! Personally, time is money and the time you'd have to spend getting to and from downtown to enjoy anything when you're staying farther out just doesn't make sense to me, but to each his/her own.

From the airport, take SL1 to Courthouse station and like that - you're there. From the airport you don't even have to pay for using the Silver Line. When you go back, you do, but make sure you jump back on the SL1 service. The MBTA is one of the easiest to use - especially with all the signage. It used to be a nightmare trying to figure things out, but they've really made it quite easy now.

There's plenty of restaurants in the area from Rosa Mexicano and Casa di Pedro for Mexican and Latin American to Legal Seafoods and Legal Test Kitchen among others for seafood to Shake Shack, Starbucks, and even by Chloe for vegan food. For convenience sake, there's a CVS nearby. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Marian

Thanks !!! originally we were getting in late so didn't really take any time to look into options of things to see/do. Now that we have all afternoon/evening there, I'm excited to do some research. I'll post back once I have some thoughts... thanks again.

Tons of good restaurants there too....legal harborside, del friscos, whiskey priest. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Seaport hotel and loved it. Across the street from the train station and we walked to the cruise port (10-15 minutes). So convenient and zero dollars spent on transportation! Loved walking around the area and finding a place for dinner, and Dunkin Donuts across the street (a treat for us since we don't have those anymore where we live).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums