EWR Newark, NJ recommendations for Transportation to Cape Liberty and Hotel/Motels

riverdees05

Looking for recommendations for a Hotel/Motel to stay the night before a cruise out of Cape Liberty and transportation.

Could you provide more details? Exact date you need a hotel? Number of people? Hotel budget? If flying, what time does your flight arrive?

We looking to go to Bermuda, the last week of April or first week of May, 2018, taking Celebrity Summit. Would like to fly Southwest from BNA to EWR. We are in the preliminary planning stage and trying to determine if Cape Liberty is a good option or if we should look at Boston We like the agenda on the Celebrity, better than the other and want to spend as much time as possible on Bermuda or a 7 day cruise.

We looking to go to Bermuda, the last week of April or first week of May, 2018, taking Celebrity Summit. Would like to fly Southwest from BNA to EWR. We are in the preliminary planning stage and trying to determine if Cape Liberty is a good option or if we should look at Boston We like the agenda on the Celebrity, better than the other and want to spend as much time as possible on Bermuda or a 7 day cruise.

Summit sails on Sun, so you would fly in Sat. You can get a sleep cruise through trinityreservations.com at the Ramada for $184 tax included which includes a room and round trip port transportation. Embassy suites in Elizabeth is about $210 tax included with an additional $80 for round trip port transportation. Country Inns is about $275 tax included for a room and port transportation.

Other hotels can be booked at EWR (please ask about them) and Uber can be used to get to the port usually for under $40 each way. Car service runs $55-70 each way.

If you're interested in Boston, post back with a ship and date. Hotel rates are the killer in Boston ($300+) and the first week in May could conflict with graduations(high hotel prices). NCL Dawn sails on a Fri, so you are up against hotel business rates for a Thur night.

We (2 senior couples) are zeroing in on April 29, 2018, doing the 7 night cruise on Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. We are thinking we would want to come in on April 27 to EWR (via Southwest) and do a NYC tour (Most interested in World Trade Center Memorial and Statue of Liberty) on the 28th. Any recommendations for tour services, etc.

April 29, 2018

Departs from Cape Liberty

We (2 senior couples) are zeroing in on April 29, 2018, doing the 7 night cruise on Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. We are thinking we would want to come in on April 27 to EWR (via Southwest) and do a NYC tour (Most interested in World Trade Center Memorial and Statue of Liberty) on the 28th. Any recommendations for tour services, etc.

April 29, 2018

Departs from Cape Liberty

These are very specific NYC destinations that require a fair amount of time to explore thoroughly. What other destinations are on your list? The SOL ticket includes Ellis Island. There are various SOL options including the pedestal and crown. The 911 Memorial area has the Memorial, the Museum, the Freedom Tower, and the 911 Tribute Museum.

For just the Statue of Liberty, the various 911 Memorial offerings, and lower Manhattan I would recommend staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton (Hilton Honors price $132 for your dates) taking PATH to the World Trade Center, walking to Battery Park for the SOL ferry trip (prepurchase timed tickets) walking back to the 911 Memorial area for a tour (research tour options like https://911groundzero.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmK3OBRDKjN-L55---_UBEiQAOL6t1BZyS21UU8yOVxwRiQwLospuspdW-44U5GlqKMH0zn0aAn678P8HAQ), and returning to Newark via PATH.

If you arrive early enough on Sep 27, you can take the train into midtown Manhattan to see Times Square and whatever else is of interest.

There are definitely other options including tours, but many would require you to show up at a meeting place in NYC at a specific time. There is also a tour with pickups in NJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 138east,

Looking at a trip out of Cape Liberty on 9/28/18 flying into EWR a few days before that to take in some of the NY sights. Better to stay in Manhattan then transfer to the ship or stay in NJ and go back & forth for sight seeing. Have been to Capr Liberty before but only on departure & don't remember much about it.

Thank you in advance.

Hey 138east,

Looking at a trip out of Cape Liberty on 9/28/18 flying into EWR a few days before that to take in some of the NY sights. Better to stay in Manhattan then transfer to the ship or stay in NJ and go back & forth for sight seeing. Have been to Capr Liberty before but only on departure & don't remember much about it.

Thank you in advance.

What is your hotel budget? How many people? Exactly how many precruise nights?

This is high season in NYC and hotels will be pricey. Your precruise nights are business travel nights, so more expensive wth few deals. How much you can spend on a hotel room will determine whether you can stay in Manhattan.

We will be coming in 2 nights before late September 2018, so 2 nights in NY/NJ then on to the ship. Budget is flexible so could spend up to $500 or per night. Getting to ship is also a question, based on where we stay......may also effect where we fly in to as well. There are only 2 of us now but may change to 3-4 later.

Thanks again.

We will be coming in 2 nights before late September 2018, so 2 nights in NY/NJ then on to the ship. Budget is flexible so could spend up to $500 or per night. Getting to ship is also a question, based on where we stay......may also effect where we fly in to as well. There are only 2 of us now but may change to 3-4 later.

Thanks again.

With that kind of budget you can certainly find a hotel in Manhattan. Do you have AAA or are you seniors? Many large hotel chains offer these discounts. Just joining a hotel chain's program (no cost) can get you some discounts and perks.

September is high season, so I recommend making some sort of cancellable placeholder reservation now. Marriott hotels are available to book now and their prices will probably only increase. Hilton is not yet open for booking. Your friends who may join you should also consider a placeholder reservation.

For a budget hotel you should consider the La Quinta on W 32nd St for under $300/night.

Is public transit an option for you at all? Airport bus and NJ Transit train are options from EWR. The La Quinta is about 3-4 blocks from New York Penn Station as is the Marriott Courtyard on W. 37th St. Car Service to Cape Liberty will run $100-120. However PATH (accessible) is less than a block from the La Quinta so you can take the PATH train to Hoboken for $2.75/pp and the NJ Transit Hudson Bergen light rail to 34th St in Bayonne for $2.25/pp plus local cab or Uber into the port ($10).

Thanks for the help. I am member of most of the Frequent Stayer programs as I traveled for most of my 45 years of time for my time while working. Still don't know if it would be best to stay in Manhattan for 2-3 days pre cruise at $200-$300 per night and be closer to all of the activities or stay in Bayone or closer to the port and travel back & forth daily & spend $150-$200 nightly plus $50 or so for Uber/Taxi. Did a quick map check from Times Square to Cape Liberty Terminal and found it to be 44 miles and taking about an hour travel time (I know that can be subjective). Just looking for advice.

Thanks for the help. I am member of most of the Frequent Stayer programs as I traveled for most of my 45 years of time for my time while working. Still don't know if it would be best to stay in Manhattan for 2-3 days pre cruise at $200-$300 per night and be closer to all of the activities or stay in Bayone or closer to the port and travel back & forth daily & spend $150-$200 nightly plus $50 or so for Uber/Taxi. Did a quick map check from Times Square to Cape Liberty Terminal and found it to be 44 miles and taking about an hour travel time (I know that can be subjective). Just looking for advice.

I need to know the exact dates you need a hotel room - quickly as I am leaving tomorrow for the Freedom TA. For late Sep 2018 (guessing Sept 26-28) $200-300 is a very tight budget for NYC. The La Quinta on 32nd St will have something in the $275 range.

If you stay in NJ, you can certainly use Uber to go in and out of New York, but it's very expensive compared to using public transportation. What I would recommend is that you consider the Doubletree in Jersey City for $280. PATH transportation to midtown (33rd& 6th) or downtown (World Trade Center) is $2.75/pp and takes about 15 or 8 minutes. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html Uber would be well priced from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Cape Liberty.

It’s going to cost more than $50 for round trip transportation, and you don’t want to take a taxi to and from, even if you can find that will take you, you want a car service.

It’s going to cost more than $50 for round trip transportation, and you don’t want to take a taxi to and from, even if you can find that will take you, you want a car service.

Thanks for saying that. I didn't even get into really discussing the $50 guesstimate for roundtrip transportation. $50 doesn't even cover round trip train transportation from an EWR hotel to midtown for two people. By road just the tolls charged could be $30 for the hired transportation's two round trip tunnel crossings between NY and NJ plus a few more $ for the turnpike.

The topic of getting around Manhattan by subway hasn't even been touched either.

The OP is from Dallas. My work counterparts in Dallas have little to no experience with public transit and tend to think only in terms of the number of miles and time to drive. That just doesn't work in the NY metro area. Cape Liberty is 13.4 miles from Times Square, but it could easily take an hour to drive that.

Stay around Newark Airport ( use travel websites for current recommendations about quality and hotel websites for price ). Use the free hotel shuttle to the airport. ( No free airport shuttle, find another hotel with one)

From the airport take the monorail to the train station. Buy a NJ transit ticket to NY Penn Station. ( there is also a Penn Station in New Jersey- you want New York.) Reverse directions to return to your hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Monorail is free and only stops in the airports three terminals and at the train station. There is no exit to the streets at the monorails train station, only a stop to board or exit the train. Not all trains to NJ from New York will stop at the airport. Just be sure to check the train schedule. They will be posted at the boarding gate. Have fun no matter where you decide to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another place to stay is downtown Newark if you want to go into New York. The Newark Penn Station Hilton is attached to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk for easy access to NJ Transit trains to New York Penn Station in midtown and PATH trains to the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan. From Newark Penn Station the one way train fare is $5.25/pp and PATH fare is $2.75/pp whereas from Newark Airport the one way train to midtown is $13/pp and train/PATH to downtown is $11.25. The NPS Hilton offers an airport shuttle. Another choice is the Robert Treat Hotel which has an airport and a train station shuttle, free breakfast, and free wifi.

The travel time to NYC from downtown Newark is 30+ minutes whereas the travel time from a Newark Airport hotel can run 1+ hours depending on your connections.

Thanks everyone, lots of great information to think about. Wife is a big packer and did not want to have to schlep a bunch of bags on public transportation but may be better than time and funds for Uber/hired service. May have to do with less on this trip.