Nikon Guy's new high end body about to come out

framer

No regrets now... I'll be a player soon and hope to get one before the 1st of the year. In the past I got a D3s and a D810 on opening day. I hate to be fearful over past Nikon product launches having issues but I think a couple of months to shake it out is warranted. I will be selling on feabay my D3s, an old 15mm f/3.5 AIS and a 20mm f/1.8 AFS to help fund the project. I got a 14 - 24 f/2.8 AFS about a year ago and those two lens are collecting a thick layer of dust.

BTW the D810 had to be sent back on a recall after I had it but I waited til it was about a year old so they could CLA it for free.

framer

Too many megapixels or not, there's something about the image clarity from a camera that has no (or a bypassed) low-pass filter. I was a die-hard Canon 1D-series guy for almost a decade, first with the 1D Mark III, then with a pair of 1Dx bodies. Then I got the Canon 5DsR, and it changed how I shoot. I'll deal with the relatively low high-ISO performance (I don't push it past 3200, and rarely past 1600) every single day to get the clarity it brings.

Here's Kenny G, playing at Jazz Alley in Seattle. Shot with a Canon 5DsR, and the 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, and 135/2. I think I shot the whole night at ISO 3200, f/2 and 1/200th.

That's all Straight Out Of Camera, just a RAW to JPEG conversion in Lightroom.

No regrets now... I'll be a player soon and hope to get one before the 1st of the year. In the past I got a D3s and a D810 on opening day. I hate to be fearful over past Nikon product launches having issues but I think a couple of months to shake it out is warranted. I will be selling on feabay my D3s, an old 15mm f/3.5 AIS and a 20mm f/1.8 AFS to help fund the project. I got a 14 - 24 f/2.8 AFS about a year ago and those two lens are collecting a thick layer of dust.

BTW the D810 had to be sent back on a recall after I had it but I waited til it was about a year old so they could CLA it for free.

framer

I agree about waiting.

I got the 810 early and had the recall to deal with.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the "I'll wait" camp. I would love to be an early adopter like Havoc, but the price drop after a year is usually steep, and I don't need to have the latest and greatest to get the shots I need to get paid.

I remember shooting magazine covers with a 4 megapixel Nikon D2H, and that camera got the job done nicely. Every couple years I upgrade, but I can still get the images I'm after with my old camera bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in the "I'll wait" camp. I would love to be an early adopter like Havoc, but the price drop after a year is usually steep, and I don't need to have the latest and greatest to get the shots I need to get paid.

I remember shooting magazine covers with a 4 megapixel Nikon D2H, and that camera got the job done nicely. Every couple years I upgrade, but I can still get the images I'm after with my old camera bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I still use a D2h in my frame shop almost every day. It makes an almost perfect document camera for stuff coming in my picture framing shop. It also has a built in recorder to put a voice message to an image. A very underrated camera in it's day IMHO.

framer