A lot of jitney questions - routes and fares

Cafabi

Does the number 10 bus go as far as the Caves? Will I be able to catch a bus back? Is it still $1.25 to go that far?

Does the number 9 bus go to Ft. Montagu / Montagu Beach? If not, is there one that does? And does it run often / all day? I don’t want to get stranded there.

I want to make the most of my time in port. If 9A or 10A come by, should I get on, or wait for one without the “A” in order to get back to downtown sooner?

Also, what is the current child fare for the jitney?

Thanks!

Does the number 10 bus go as far as the Caves? Will I be able to catch a bus back? Is it still $1.25 to go that far?

Since Jitney's are independently owned, it would depend on the driver whether or not he goes out that far. Ask when you arrive at the bus stop. You may have to wait for the following jitney. As for catching a bus back... again, they are few and far between out that far, but eventually one will go by. Should be $1.25, unless it's the Western Transportation bus.. which is $2.25 - Ask at the pick up point. George St at Bay.

Does the number 9 bus go to Ft. Montagu / Montagu Beach? If not, is there one that does? And does it run often / all day? I don’t want to get stranded there.

Don't know the route #, but the jitney have the locations printed on the front of the bus. These buses line up along Frederick St, not the same area as the number 10, and go in the opposite direction. The thing with going west is that the streets are one way, so getting back can be tricky. You have to go inland a block or two to Shirley Street to get back downtown and these buses do not run frequently. You may have to walk to the fish fry or Poop Deck to pick up a cab.

Traveling off the main tourist area is risky, in that you never know if you are going to get back in a timely fashion.

I want to make the most of my time in port. If 9A or 10A come by, should I get on, or wait for one without the “A” in order to get back to downtown sooner?

10a is a longer route. Ask if he's going directly downtown before boarding, unless you have some time to kill.

Also, what is the current child fare for the jitney?

Child fare is the same as an adult. If you take up space, you pay for it. If you have bags or strollers preventing someone else from grabbing a seat.. you should pay for the space.

Thanks!

Hope this helps!

Jitney's run from 6am to 6pm.. they are generally transportation for workers to get to and from their jobs, so you'll see more during shift changes then throughout the day. Don't be afraid to ask questions before boarding (like how long to your stop).. When I first started traveling by jitney, some day's it would take an hour to get to my stop... after a trip clear around the island.

Thanks a million, scubagirrl! I was planning to do these things first thing and work my way back to the ship as time allowed. But you've got me wondering if maybe a cab or private tour would be the way to go since I will not want to spend much time waiting and hoping for a jitney in the middle of the day.

Jitney's run from 6am to 6pm.. they are generally transportation for workers to get to and from their jobs, so you'll see more during shift changes then throughout the day. Don't be afraid to ask questions before boarding (like how long to your stop).. When I first started traveling by jitney, some day's it would take an hour to get to my stop... after a trip clear around the island.

How long should it take to go from the cruise port to Breezes?

How long should it take to go from the cruise port to Breezes?

The #10 jitney will get you there in 10-12 minutes in general traffic. Pick up the jitney at George and Bay Streets or across from the Hilton at McDonalds.

During rush hour, the trip can take 40 minutes or more.. (same with a cab) so make sure you keep track of your timing. Breezes is less than 5 miles from port.

• 1 month later...
The #10 jitney will get you there in 10-12 minutes in general traffic. Pick up the jitney at George and Bay Streets or across from the Hilton at McDonalds.

During rush hour, the trip can take 40 minutes or more.. (same with a cab) so make sure you keep track of your timing. Breezes is less than 5 miles from port.

What times would be considered “rush hour”?