Upgrading airfare to premium economy

workstocruise

I saved this, and it explains many of the situations on this thread.

How Cruise Air/Air Deviation Works

Imagine you have 4 stacks of cards in front of you, each containing 30 cards. The 30 cards represent the allotment the cruise line bought from the airline at consolidator rates.

Stack one is LAX/MIA nonstop. 27 request air deviation-nonstop to MIA. Stack one is now down to 3 cards and the 27 pax paid the same price as "regular" cruise air (where you don't know what you are getting until 30-60 days out).

Stack two is LAX/DFW/MIA. Again, 27 people request deviation, same scenario. Pax accept one stopper at their choice of times.

Stack three is LAX/ORD/MIA. Again 27 people request deviation-ditto

Stack four contains these tickets-LAX/SEA, LAX/ORD, LAX/DFW, LAX/JFK, ORD/JFK, ORD/MIA, JFK/MIA

20 additional pax request air deviation-want LAX/MIA nonstop

3 people get air deviation at the same price as cruise air, 17 have to be booked on "free call" tickets. These are NOT the same as the original 30 tickets. They are generally booked in Q or O class (the lowest, generally available AA class) IF there are tickets available in those classes. If there are no tickets available to the cruise line in those classes, then AA will make available tickets in higher fare classes. Please note that Q and O class tickets are HIGHER priced than the "regular" consolidator class air deviation tickets, so the 17 pax will definitely pay a higher price than "regular" cruise air pax or deviation pax with consolidator class tickets.

IF and this is a BIG IF, the cruise line/airline contract ALLOWS the cruise line to purchase more nonstop tickets, these are FULLY ENDORSABLE tickets, the same as purchasing direct from AA. Depending on time of year and demand, you may be told there are NO air deviation tickets available.

What does the example tell us: Quite a few of the air deviation pax are booked on consolidator class fares. These are group rates given under contract from the airline to the cruise line. The airline states "you will pay us $200.00 per ticket. We don't care what you sell it for". That is how ALL consolidator tickets work. However, there are some VERY stringent restrictions on these types of tickets. USUALLY-very large change fees, if a change is allowed at all, and NON ENDORSABLE tickets (they have no value to another airline).

So most of the pax who requested air deviation are still using consolidator class tickets. If there is a problem, depending on the goodwill of the airline/cruise line, you may or may not (most likely) be put on another carrier to reach your destination.

To be placed on another carrier with a consolidator ticket, the originating carrier has to pay the flying carrier IN CASH-there is no tit for tat exchanging seats, as is common with endorsable tickets. With most airlines in financial trouble, most likely the airline will NOT pay for a ticket on another carrier. And Southwest, AirTran and JetBlue for the most part DO NOT participate in tit for tat exchanges with any carrier, but you will not find cruise lines buying those tickets.

The few lucky people who paid extra have fully endorsable tickets, good on any airline the originating carrier has agreements with and seats available. But they paid EXTRA. They could have booked their own seats and saved money.

What happens to the "regular" cruise air pax? See the remnants of piles 2 and 3? See pile 4???

That is what is left. So somehow, the cruise line has to get those pax from LAX to Miami. Six lucky people will get a one stopper, either ORD or DFW. The rest-Take a combination of cards-lets say LAX/SEA/ORD/JFK/MIA. The cruise line has now fulfilled their obligation to get you to the ship. And because the cruise line does not put the flights together until AFTER final payment, regular cruise air pax are left with PILE 4.

It does not matter that it will take you 12 hours to get to the cruise and you had to leave home at 2:00AM to arrive in MIA at 4:00PM for a cruise that departs at 6:00PM. OOOPS!!! Just missed the connection at ORD. If things weren't bad enough already, you just missed your cruise. Hope the next port stop is within a day and seats on the next flight are available.

Do you have the original poster of this?

Would be curious how much is actual inside info and how much is assumption.

I have put together tour groups in the very recent past and what was explained is still valid. I had done a shortened version of this post in the recent past.

What is absent from it, are some of the time lines the Airlines now employ. There are now time lines on :

1. When the consolidator (cruise line) must finalize the number of discounted tickets they will take. Take and/or pay for.

2. When that consolidator must supply actual names to each seat purchased.

Tickets procured after the cut off date on #1, will have to be at regular available prices. Once the name has been supplied in #2, that name cannot be substituted with another later on.

There are other pieces of the puzzle however. O may not be reserving slots on AA ( for example) from LAX to Rome. They may have a few seats on AA non stop flights from PHL to Rome. They may however have a lot of seats reserved to LHR, then a different contract with BA from LHR to Rome, Copenhagen, Mumbai, or wherever multiple ships may be embarking from in Europe, Asia, or Africa at that time. Same goes for the other airlines. So you could have a flight itinerary with one or two legs booked on one airline, and another leg booked on a separate line. So the original airline may not have a record of your entire itinerary, and you'll have to show it to the agent to get the records merged and bags sent all the way through.

This is turning into a very interesting thread and many of you have tried to share very insightful details regarding booking flights through cruise lines (not just O).

I understand that there are many who either want their flights booked as a package for either convenience or lack of understanding what consolidation tickets really are. And, add to that their own personal experiences of having it worked out fine previously, have no issues purchasing airfare through cruise lines again.

But, let me reinforce (from my own personal experience) that when things do go wrong with consolidator airfare tickets, it can result in a trip of a lifetime turn into a disaster when thinking the cruise line can wave a magic wand and get you to port in time to catch a cruise.

Best advise I can give anyone is to do research on pros and cons of what is discussed here (consolidation tickets). Perhaps be proactive assuring all your expectations of the flights are covered (this includes upgrades, assigned seats, routes/connections, etc.). And compare apples-to-apples of airfare cost because I assure you, the cruise lines do not give out "free" airfare regardless what their marketing states.

Cheers,

John

A new wrinkle. I disembark an Oceania cruise in Papeete on Sunday Nov 19 at 9:00AM. When searching for air to Miami on that day I find nothing. On Monday Nov 20 there are 2 stop flights, all of about 33 hour duration, so if I want a decent flight I must wait until Tuesday Nov 21. (I know, there are worse places to be stranded.) However, if I book air through Oceania, they put me on Air Tahiti Nui 620 at 10:00PM on Nov 19, and can even upgrade me to business class. TN 620 does not exist on any search engine, including Google Matrix. But I found that it did exist one day a few months ago on a day when an Oceania ship happened to be in port. Conclusion; Oceania charter!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to fly delta out of ATL and asked my TA what the air allowance would be if I got my own air. He said $1000 per person. Delta to Venice and back from Barcelona non-stop was $1015 and I could upgrade to EC for less than Oceania's. Yes I have to pay transfers, but peace of mind knowing that I get the airline and seat I want doing it myself. Since the air as well as cruise is covered by insurance, I'm not worried about any losses if things change

I want to fly delta out of ATL and asked my TA what the air allowance would be if I got my own air. He said $1000 per person. Delta to Venice and back from Barcelona non-stop was $1015 and I could upgrade to EC for less than Oceania's. Yes I have to pay transfers, but peace of mind knowing that I get the airline and seat I want doing it myself. Since the air as well as cruise is covered by insurance, I'm not worried about any losses if things change

Just a note, booking your air through Oceania does not automatically get you the transfers with them. You still have to either pay extra for them or do them on your own. If you book your hotel through them then you get the transfers included, as well as the flight deviation. But I wouldn't book a hotel through them.

I'm sure Pinot will tell you, but I don't think you're really getting true Premium Economy on Delta, only a seat with more room and drinks included. The product you're paying for with Oceania should be true Premium Economy.

the only thing Delta gives is more leg room (drinks are included for all internationsl fares), but it's the non-stop flight that I'm really looking at. since O doesn't book until much later and non-stop is questionable. Has anyone booked through O that has flown out of ATL with PE? Would be interested to know about flights.

the only thing Delta gives is more leg room (drinks are included for all internationsl fares), but it's the non-stop flight that I'm really looking at. since O doesn't book until much later and non-stop is questionable. Has anyone booked through O that has flown out of ATL with PE? Would be interested to know about flights.

looks like Delta/KLM flight from ATL to VCE is the only non stop option so you are stuck if you want non stop flight

KLM is not listed as a PE carrier on the list. Don't know if O uses them for PE service.

If not, PE with AF to CDG, then Economy to VCE.

Does KLM even have PE? I think they only have comfort. Out of DTW our only choice on a Skyteam airline to Europe is AF. LH, which has PE, also has a flight. Also interesting, it doesn't appear we can book the PE on the AF flight as a DL codeshare. It only shows up on the AF website. (I've been tracking PE flight prices out of DTW to CDG for next year).

Globetrekkers, ATL also has one stops with PE on BA and LH.

Edited by buggins0402

I think some forget how small Europe is (compared to US). BA to LHR, LH to FRA, AF to CDG, are all 1-2 hour flights to VCE.

In addition, I personally love to explore various European cities prior to boarding a cruise.

Just an option flying PE somewhere else and then taking a short and inexpensive flight for your cruise port.

Cheers,

John

Does KLM even have PE? I think they only have comfort.

We have flown KLM from YYZ a few times & upgraded to their PE

Not sure if they still have this class of seating as the last trip was in 2012

It was larger seats more leg room in a section between Econ & 1st

You got the boxed meal not on proper plates like 1st class but was more comfortable in any case

We have flown KLM from YYZ a few times & upgraded to their PE

Not sure if they still have this class of seating as the last trip was in 2012

It was larger seats more leg room in a section between Econ & 1st

You got the boxed meal not on proper plates like 1st class but was more comfortable in any case

When I go to the KLM website, I can only find comfort class. Perhaps they abandoned it. I looked at the recline on KLM comfort and it was around 7 inches...which isn't much different than some PE.

I'm also following an ongoing thread on Flyertalk about when DL might introduce.

But, since our next trip will be land, I'm also playing with some LCC PE (they might call it business, but it's PE across the pond). Norwegian Air looks interesting.

When I go to the KLM website, I can only find comfort class. Perhaps they abandoned it. I looked at the recline on KLM comfort and it was around 7 inches...which isn't much different than some PE.

Yes I looked at KLM site looks like they changed the PE to comfort since we were last on

we had 2 seats on the side which was fine a little more leg room than economy

But the new international Bus seat looks great compared to the 1st class semi recline ones we had

I kept sliding down so never got a good nap LOL

I think some forget how small Europe is (compared to US). BA to LHR, LH to FRA, AF to CDG, are all 1-2 hour flights to VCE.

In addition, I personally love to explore various European cities prior to boarding a cruise.

Just an option flying PE somewhere else and then taking a short and inexpensive flight for your cruise port.

Cheers,

John

I agree. We're flying to FRA and then to Bologna. I've booked the train to Venice. I think that if you're paying for a deviation [change in dates], it may be easier to get the time and routing that you prefer. Unfortunately we were not able to get premium economy this time but once we were ticketed, I could put in a bid for an upgrade [an Air Canada option].

I agree. We're flying to FRA and then to Bologna. I've booked the train to Venice. I think that if you're paying for a deviation [change in dates], it may be easier to get the time and routing that you prefer. Unfortunately we were not able to get premium economy this time but once we were ticketed, I could put in a bid for an upgrade [an Air Canada option].

We did something similar last year. Train from Rome to Bologna post cruise. Spent a few nights there (love Bologna, it's a splendid city, with great food.) Then on to Lake Como and Milan. We used O air on the way to Europe, but used FF miles home Milan.