Anything Montreal

sebas030

Transit - definitely. Both bagel spots are close to each other, with Schwartz's easy to hit en route to or from (but it would be at least a 2 hour walk there and back). Google Map listing all of them, currently set to Walk as Transit doesn't allow multiple destinations - pick one at a time and click the Bus icon to see your choice of buses.

If you wanted to burn some calories you could stuff yourself in Schwartz's, pick up bagels from either or both S-V&F for later, walk up the 'mountain' of Mont Royal (which is laughably tiny in height, but does give great views over low-lying Montreal below, and the Oratory is impressive) and then come back through downtown through universities/museums/more churches and wend your way back to the pier.

Thanks for map link. Staying close to port. :)

We arrive to Montreal on 8/3 and sail out on HAL on 8/5. Staying at the Dauphin.

There are 4 of us plus luggage ... can one cab to the port accommodate us all? Or should we get two? Approximate cost?

This is our first time on HAL and out of Montreal ... anything we should know?

We have been to Montreal and highly recommend Local Montreal Food Tours to anyone looking for something interesting to do here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hotel Le Dauphin is only 1 km away from Quai Alexandra where the cruise terminal is situated. According to the following local taxi website, the cost is approximately 7 CAD (+ tip). I do not like to privilege one taxi company over the other, but I find the website I used well done. You can estimate costs, see the trajectory on a map and book a mini-van. Here is the link:

https://taxidiamond.com/en/individual/estimate-taxi-fare

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Updates on cruise terminal

For those who are coming by car, unfortunately the parking beside the cruise terminal will not be available this year. Also, the names of the wharfs have been changed.

H-3 becomes T1

H-6 becomes T2

Wharfs 34-35 become T3

Wharfs 36-37 become T4

See updated port links at:

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/cruise-vessels-schedule.html

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-berths.html

Long term parking suggestions can be found here:

"Long Term Parking in Montreal":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518770

Add-on to my previous post:

The docking assignments for the Maasdam on August 5th and for several other sailings in September and October have been changed to T-3.

One of the reason for this are the several events, this year, which are taking place near the Old Port (Formula E, biathlon, marathon etc.). Because of these, many streets in that area are blocked making it difficult to access the main terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
The storage just opened with the new terminal so until reports come in from cruisers about the service I don't believe anyone can answer how efficiently it's run yet.

Bagels - you'll find them all over, even Timmies has edible ones, but if you're talking Montreal and Bagels then you really only have two choices: Fairmount or St-Viateur. If you don't yet have a position in the religious war of which is best you could try both, but unless you're a party of vegantarians save tummy room for a smoked meat sammich in Schwartz's deli (go fatty or go home I say). Or avoid them all because if you get hooked you'll never find another product like 'em!

For foodies, interesting article to complement Martin's post: Montreal has the best Jewish food scene on earth

Updates on cruise terminal

H-3 becomes T1

H-6 becomes T2

Wharfs 34-35 become T3

Wharfs 36-37 become T4

See updated port links at:

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/cruise-vessels-schedule.html

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-berths.html

As per the Marine Traffic tracking site, Veendam is docked today Aug 12 at Alexandria Quay T1 (formerly H-3). Good to see. Might try to drop by to see her live before she departs.

Have to fix my signature. The Veendam trip in July 2018 to Bermuda was cancelled for redeployment, apparently to Cuba.

Would appreciate suggestions for good French restaurants within walking distance of Sofitel Hotel that aren't extremely expensive and that aren't real noisy. Like about $75 for two people, with glass of wine each? Possible? Many thanks for suggestions.

Would appreciate suggestions for good French restaurants within walking distance of Sofitel Hotel that aren't extremely expensive and that aren't real noisy. Like about $75 for two people, with glass of wine each? Possible? Many thanks for suggestions.

We rely on yelp and find it very helpful when looking for restaurants in new places

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Transportation from Airport to old town area. We are a group of 4 arriving at the airport and needing transportation to the Comfort Inn in Old Down in early October. Are there vans available at the airport that can handle 4 people plus luggage? Any idea on the cost?

Also - are ATMs readily available in the airport so I can get my Canadian Currency before getting to the van?

Transportation from Airport to old town area. We are a group of 4 arriving at the airport and needing transportation to the Comfort Inn in Old Down in early October. Are there vans available at the airport that can handle 4 people plus luggage? Any idea on the cost?

Also - are ATMs readily available in the airport so I can get my Canadian Currency before getting to the van?

Vans: Yes. Advise the hailer and he will call up a van for you. It is a fixed price fare for a downtown run from the airport.

http://www.admtl.com/en/access/taxis-limousines

ATM: Yes. On the Arrivals level, there is one near the International arrivals (as well as a currency exchange kiosk).

Not too far and should do nicely:

http://www.chezalexandre.com/home/

I'd advise bumping that budget up. Even if you mean USD$75 (CAD$100) you'd be looking at a very basic prix fixe dinner menu around $35pp, leaving you just about enough for a glass of wine each, tax & tip. Even the reso p_mori linked above lists only one set menu at that level so you'd really struggle to have many options even if you're not including tax & tip in your price range.

'Good' is of course a relative term, but realistically you're in the casual brasserie/bistro price range. I'd get up onto the Plateau - Blvd St-Laurent, Rue St-Denis both have a ton of restos with a better chance of you finding a deal (lots of chalkboard prix fixe menus and specials you can peruse from the street) than near your hotel, but while you'll find more places fitting the budget.

Unfortunately while I've walked past plenty of small restos in that neck of the woods that would seem to fit or come close to your price range, I can't actually recommend any as we like to eat really well when we're in Montreal (OTOH we totally cheap out on hotels whenever possible).

If you can juggle your budget to afford a bit of a Splurge dinner, I can without hesitation recommend Au Pied de Cochon for a simply outstanding experience that you really won't be able to replicate anywhere else - it's the only place in Montreal we ALWAYS eat in every trip, and I have literally driven from Toronto (six hours each way) just to have dinner, sleep, and come straight back again more than once. It's actually remarkable value for the quality, a la carte app/main/dessert start ~$50pp and portions are big.

Edited by martincath
double-spacing

I very much appreciate the suggestions about restaurants. The thing is, we're not big eaters (in fact, in the States, we usually share an entree). So we're not interested in prix fix menus-- would be a waste for us. Would simply love to find a place where we could order, say, one appetizer and one entree-- I don't mean one each; I mean altogether. Do you think this would be possible?

We board Regent Mariner after our couple of days in Montreal, and the food on board is excellent, even exquisite. But I'd love to enjoy a memorable meal in Montreal as well. The first night we'll probably dine at the hotel, but for the other two evenings, I'd much rather go out.

Is there a "normal" dinner hour in Montreal? We're kind of geezers, and go to bed fairly early, so we tend to dine around 7:00, and always prefer quiet, relaxing places.

Thanks once more.

I very much appreciate the suggestions about restaurants. The thing is, we're not big eaters (in fact, in the States, we usually share an entree). So we're not interested in prix fix menus-- would be a waste for us. Would simply love to find a place where we could order, say, one appetizer and one entree-- I don't mean one each; I mean altogether. Do you think this would be possible?

We board Regent Mariner after our couple of days in Montreal, and the food on board is excellent, even exquisite. But I'd love to enjoy a memorable meal in Montreal as well. The first night we'll probably dine at the hotel, but for the other two evenings, I'd much rather go out.

Is there a "normal" dinner hour in Montreal? We're kind of geezers, and go to bed fairly early, so we tend to dine around 7:00, and always prefer quiet, relaxing places.

Thanks once more.

Well in that case you'll be dining just as well as I do - half the budget but for half the portions! Share charges aren't unheard of, but it's not something I pay attention to on menus since it doesn't impact us - probably $1-3 per plate if you got charged anything. Personally when it comes to eating light we tend to go all appies - that way you get more different dishes to try with a smaller total food volume. We frequently 'dribble' (drink & nibble) our way through a neighbourhood, ordering the best appy and matching drink then moving on to another place - never had a problem with that in any of the places we frequent.

I'd still go for APDC - it's a resto that I honestly believe fits the criteria of 'anyone serious about food who is close enough to feasibly visit really should eat there at least once.' Tell them the plan, even as far as saying "I'd like to spend $X and sample several small dishes between us with a nice glass of wine" - I've found the servers to be among the most passionate and informed of any restaurant I've ever been to and more than happy to offer solid suggestions of dishes and wine pairings, so setting you up with an impromptu tasting menu shouldn't be problematic. Edit - the pouding chomeur I'd recommend splitting anyway, it's just ridiculously filling, but at under $10 it's really hard to not have it (if I wasn't now diabetic I'd still be on my quest to finish one all by myself!)

There are also other excellent restos downtown with good customer-focus as well as food - Toque! is a long-time fave, and they certainly don't blink at a request to just have a couple of dishes though they may ask you to sit at the bar if it's a really busy night. Joe Beef you might have problems getting a reso for - it was already very popular, but since the Obama/Trudeau Bro's dinner I hear it's even worse!

Edit - whoops, timing. We're early eaters ourselves (6pm) which helps in Montreal as it's a bit of a late dining city. If you want quiet, definitely go earlier. Of the spots I mentioned Toque! is probably the classiest & quietest space - APDC is somewhere that definitely gets loud (passionate moans and OMGs from folks trying the assorted foie dishes is pretty normal) but it really is a tremendous food experience.

Edited by martincath

Thanks once more.

We just returned from a few days in Montreal and Quebec City.

In Montreal, we dined at:

Dinner: Il Campari Centro (Downtown).

Brunch: Le Passe Compose (Village)

Dinner: La Piazzetta (Village)

Lunch: Montreal Poutine (Vieux Port)

We also found a cute little Champagne bar near Bon Secours in Old Montreal, but I cannot remember the name of it. They do not have a happy hour, per se, but they did have raw bar specials (oysters), charcuterie, cheese, etc.

Any suggestions on a tour from Montreal to Laurentian Mountains area on Sunday, September 3? It seems all the tours I've found run on Saturday, but not Sunday. There seems to be a standard tour that several operators run that do the following tour, but I can't find them on that Sunday. The boat tour on Lac des Sables is running that day, we just need a way to get there.

• Cruise for 50 Minutes on the Lovely Lac des Sables
  • Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts
  • The Laurentian Mountains
  • Mont-Tremblant

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are coming to Montréal and like light shows, the Jacques-Cartier Bridge is illuminated this year. Here is a good read about that: "This Bridge Transforms Data on Weather, Traffic and Twitter Rants into a Beautiful Light Display"

Also, AVUDO, a very nice historical free light show was shown in the Old Port this summer. Unfortunately, the tickets "sold out" really fast but here it is: a well done amateur video:

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics Cruise4food.

Heat wave coming...

For those cruising to/from Montréal this weekend, a very unusual heat wave (for the end of September) is forecasted. Layers are usually recommended for Canada N/E cruises. However, light clothes will definitely be welcomed this weekend. Here is the Weather Network forecast.

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is what we are looking to do if possible during our one day in late May. Can it be done? How?

Any suggestions on a tour from Montreal to Laurentian Mountains area on Sunday, September 3? It seems all the tours I've found run on Saturday, but not Sunday. There seems to be a standard tour that several operators run that do the following tour, but I can't find them on that Sunday. The boat tour on Lac des Sables is running that day, we just need a way to get there.

• Cruise for 50 Minutes on the Lovely Lac des Sables
  • Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts
  • The Laurentian Mountains
  • Mont-Tremblant