Lost Item on Oceania

mmkern

I recently return from Oceania Riviera and discovered I left a very valuable piece of jewelry in the small drawer in the bathroom. Has anyone left anything of value behind and been successful in getting it back from Oceania? I contacted them the next day by email and phone, but they told me it will "take a while" for the personnel on the ship to get back with them.

I left a very expensive item ON TOP of my safe on Crystal. I knew Keith1010 would be on the next cruise and emailed him and he got it for me. He gave it to security (they went with him) and I got it when they sent their next packet to the home office in Los Angeles. I will be forever grateful to Keith.

It's been 3 days and still nothing from Oceania. How long does it take to check lost and found?? They said they have to wait for communication as the ship is out at sea. I had Wi-Fi, email.and texts 24/7 while on the ship so I cannot accept lack of communication due to being out at sea. This is really upsetting me because the item I left behind is valued almost much as the entire cost of the cruise. So why did I take expensive items with me?? Because I live in Florida and a hurricane was coming, and would possibility wipe out the entire state (Irma). I didn't know if my home would still be standing when I got back so I packed some very valuable items with me. Unfortunately I missed one item when packing to leave the ship. I asked then to expedite this because of the value and that fell on deaf ears. This may just be my last Oceania cruise.... not happy!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Just got word that they did not find it. I'm sure at this point it was never turned in because someone took it based on its value. I took it off on the last night and set it inside the drawer in the bathroom while I was getting ready for bed. I always kept it in the safe but the last night didn't need to put it back in the safe because we were not leaving the room that night before disembarking in the morning. I forgot it was on the drawer. I told them specifically where I left it. They said it was not found and turned in. Yeah, it was found, just not turned in...

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear that your item is gone. It is always maddening when something like this happens and you know exactly where you left the piece. I left behind a pair of high cost sunglasses and I knew exactly where I had put them down - signing up for something and went back immediately and person had no idea where they were. I did not take the high road and just accused her of stealing them. This was not on Oceania. BUT here is an Oceania story on Marina a few years back. We were unpacking in the cabin and going to load up the safe with our valuables and there was a set of car/house keys. I went immediately to the front desk with them and they went into envelope with cabin # to deal with. Imagine getting home to airport to start your car, etc. and no keys. Always good to hear these things as a reminder to keep track of belongings.

Oh dear, Oh dear. How very very upsetting for you. I have to say we look in our empty draws over and over when we are packing up. Are you absolutely sure that you, (or your travelling companion) did not slip the item into a wash bag at the last minute? It is so easy to do something like that without thinking.

It is disappointing to hear that Oceania was unable to return a lost item, whatever the circumstances. J

It is disappointing to hear that Oceania was unable to return a lost item, whatever the circumstances. J

Unfortunately Oceania are unable to return a lost item if it hasn't been found, I am sure if it had been handed in or found then they would have returned the item.

The way most lines handle this is:

1) they search their staff and their cabins, look at video to see which staff to involve

2) they search the cabin of missing report person when that person is still onboard

Normally the staff are cleared they do not risk their employment. Often the item is found in the cabin or in the cruisers or their families possession like in a luggage pocket. This case is different because someone is probably occupying the cabin.

Turns out that most cases are not clean cut. Often the item was moved by the reporter or their traveling companions and no one remembers doing it. A thorough search usually finds it.

I am sorry that this case seems to be one where the item and what happened will probably not be discovered. I have "lost" jewelry on a cruise too but noticed so late that I really could not do anything about it. Nobody to blame but myself at that point. You do have my sympathy.

Unfortunately Oceania are unable to return a lost item if it hasn't been found, I am sure if it had been handed in or found then they would have returned the item.

Umm, this is a matter of semantics. I did not mean that Oceania would not return an item that had been found, but that they had not been able to find it so could not return it. Sorry for confusion. J

Update - They said they will check again. Two days later they contacted me via email and said they checked the room again (this is now day 4 of the subsequent cruise) and searched each drawer in the room. I asked how they did that when there were new guests in the stateroom. No answer. I asked again, no answer. I know there were guests in the stateroom as I was actually looking into taking that cruise but the room category was on a waitlist. What guests would allow staff to go into the room that they are occupying and rummage thru the drawers that have all their personal stuff in?? Who does that?? This tells me the corporate office or staff on board are lying. And if they did get the next guests permission, then they should tell me that. Someone is dishonest and lying.

Update - They said they will check again. Two days later they contacted me via email and said they checked the room again (this is now day 4 of the subsequent cruise) and searched each drawer in the room. I asked how they did that when there were new guests in the stateroom. No answer. I asked again, no answer. I know there were guests in the stateroom as I was actually looking into taking that cruise but the room category was on a waitlist. What guests would allow staff to go into the room that they are occupying and rummage thru the drawers that have all their personal stuff in?? Who does that?? This tells me the corporate office or staff on board are lying. And if they did get the next guests permission, then they should tell me that. Someone is dishonest and lying.

Maybe they aren't lying and the person who is now in that cabin is kind and thoughtful and allowed staff to look.

I understand that you're upset, but it seems that asking them the questions you state in this post makes it seem you are badgering them.

Sorry for your lost item - but ultimately you are responsible for leaving it behind.

You can consider them to be liars, but if it's that important perhaps you should meet the ship upon it's return and request to search yourself.

Otherwise you are going to have accept their word.

They didn't say they didn't have the new guests permission did they? I would be happy to let them look though my cabin if a previous guest had lost something.

I'm sure if they looked again the new guest probably was standing right there with them trying to find your item.

Are you communicating via email and not receiving answers? Sometimes the email that is sent is not on a user that receives email.

It probably is time to mark this up to a lesson learned even on a very expensive item, was it insured? Up to you whether you want to blame O. Are you trying to convince others?

Yes it was insured but had very high sentimental value. The ONLY reason I took anything of value with me is because I live in FL and a hurricane was about to hit my home while I was going to be on the cruise ship. Otherwise I NEVER take my jewelry while traveling. However if I left it in my locked safe at home in was afraid I would never see it again after the hurricane. How ironic that I lose it on the ship. I took it off the night before and put it in the drawer. When leaving the next morning I neglected to take it back out of the drawer. Since I am not accustomed to carrying my jewelry, it was something that slipped my mind. It was still in that drawer because I never took it out the next morning when disembarking. Unless it grew legs and walked off, it still sat in that drawer. I wouldn't be posting this and making an issue of it if I wasn't sure. I placed in the drawer the night before and neglected to take it out the next morning, period. I would have expected it to turn up and turned in by cleaning staff or next guests. I guess I expect too much. Yes, time to call the insurance co. I was fortunate that my home had only had minor damage and power outages while we were cruising, so that I am very thankful.