Nassau- Queens Staircase

Djaesmom

Is the Queens staircase a far walk from the port? I went as a child and would love to bring my family to revisit but we are only in Nassau a short while so the bus tour and or walking tour would be too long, and we want to shop at the straw market and visit a beach as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I walked to the John Watling Rum tour and the cigar factory tour when we were there in January. I just printed an actual walking tour, so I think that we will do the Queens Steps, etc. on foot also this time. Thank you for jogging my memory about the map idea--we are interested in seeing the historical stuff this time out.

The Rum Factory tour was a little farther than the Steps and at times I felt like we were too far from other touristy traffic as far as safety goes, but there were uniformed police on pretty much every corner.

Thanks again.

Nancy

My mom and I walked there a few years back. Not sure when you are cruising, but it's really hot and humid in the summer months. Walking it would be more fun in winter or spring. :)

You could always have a taxi take you there and walk back since that would be downhill.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I walked to the John Watling Rum tour and the cigar factory tour when we were there in January. I just printed an actual walking tour, so I think that we will do the Queens Steps, etc. on foot also this time. Thank you for jogging my memory about the map idea--we are interested in seeing the historical stuff this time out.

The Rum Factory tour was a little farther than the Steps and at times I felt like we were too far from other touristy traffic as far as safety goes, but there were uniformed police on pretty much every corner.

Thanks again.

Nancy

We are going next week on a cruise to Nassau. I have organized a self walking tour to Queens Staircase and back for my DH and I and a few from our same cruise have decided to join us. I was concerned about safety since I understand part of it is walking thorough a neighborhood, but from what I am reading safety (other than using common sense) we should be ok and that there are plenty of uniformed police around. Am I reading correct? thanks

We've walked it before as well (three women) and we never really felt there was any danger. Passed several other "tourists." Be careful with traffic, they go fast and get close to pedestrians. I wasn't interested in testing the yield to pedestrians part! Take water, because as another poster cautioned - it does get very hot. It was an enjoyable walk to see the area and the walk back seemed a little easier. There are officers close by and as long as you say "no thank you" and keep walking - you shouldn't get hounded by vendors. I wouldn't waste money on a taxi and highly recommend the walking tour....we tend to revisit portions of it each time we port in Nassau.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say thank you for the information on the Queen's Staircase and walking. I put together a walking tour that made a circle from the port to Queen's Staircase. The staircase was amazing and so beautiful. So glad we went there. We had about 10 other folks join us on the walk. The fort and views were wonderful and we felt very safe the whole time. We headed back to port by walking down the street that was really festive looking where the Drawbridge Bakery is located and turned right at the end of the road which took us past the police station then on to Government Square and around to the big catholic church. We went past this adorable Greek Orthodox Church with such beautiful wooden doors and ended near the British Colonial Hilton. Took us about 3 hours total to walk and we all were glad we did this. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for something inexpensive to do in Nassau to plan a walk. You can go to mapquest and it gives you the option to do walking directions. Just keep adding the places you want to walk past and it will plan your route.