Post Cruise Tour -New York Highlights -Anthem of the seas

msvickyes

Hello, We are cruising on Anthem of the Seas on September 9 out of Cape Liberty. There are 4 of us and we are coming in Sept. 7 and staying at the Embassy Suites EWR airport. We had planned on a tour of New York on that Friday before the cruise, but our flight after the cruise is not until 4:00 so we are considering the Post Cruise Tour that will give us Manhatten highlights and then take us to the airport. Has anyone done this? I would love to know some details as the description on the website is very short. If we do that, we are thinking about planning Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on the Friday before the cruise. We are from California so are not comfortable with subways or public transportation. We drive everywhere. Any advice is appreciated. I have 2 with mobility issues. Cost of taxi from Embassy Suites to Ferry to Ellis? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hello, We are cruising on Anthem of the Seas on September 9 out of Cape Liberty. There are 4 of us and we are coming in Sept. 7 and staying at the Embassy Suites EWR airport. We had planned on a tour of New York on that Friday before the cruise, but our flight after the cruise is not until 4:00 so we are considering the Post Cruise Tour that will give us Manhatten highlights and then take us to the airport. Has anyone done this? I would love to know some details as the description on the website is very short. If we do that, we are thinking about planning Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on the Friday before the cruise. We are from California so are not comfortable with subways or public transportation. We drive everywhere. Any advice is appreciated. I have 2 with mobility issues. Cost of taxi from Embassy Suites to Ferry to Ellis? Thanks in advance for any advise.

What is the extent of the mobility issues you are dealing with? Visiting Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty will involve walking to get on and off the ferries and on the islands themselves. Since you're staying in NJ, you should go from NJ by taking a cab to the ferry in Liberty State Park for $50-60 each way. Uber would be less expensive.

My impression is that the post cruise tour is a bus tour only. I don't have any details, but after reading the description of the tour in the cruise planner, I don't think you get off the bus anywhere.

For Friday you might want to look at this tour company which will pick you up at the P4 Airtrain station, which is where your hotel shuttle will drop you off at EWR. http://www.newyorktoursnyc.com/

Thank you for the information. The mobility issues are not severe. My mom is 80 and just gets tired. She can do stairs and walking but will have a walker so she can sit occasionally. I considered a tour from the airport but don't know about luggage. The taxi costs is high but manageable with 4 people. I'll check into Uber. Never used them. I had first planned on the NY tour through the company you mentioned from our hotel but need something to do on the last day since we can't even check into the airport until 4 hours before our flight at 4:00.

• 4 months later...

We have completed our cruise so I thought I would update this with information on the post cruise excursion we took from Antham of the Seas "Manhattan highlights and transfer to EWR".

They gave all of us the same luggage tags (zone 15) with departure at 8:30. Those on the tour met at 8:30 in a bar on deck 4. We went out together as a group to pick up our luggage and go through customers. We bypassed the main line and got to jump ahead. We were on the bus by 9:00 a.m. We toured all through Manhattan and had a guide on the mic giving us info on what we were seeing. It was a huge bus with a restroom on board. We got off the bus at ground zero for 30 minutes. There was a pizza place there with pizza to go and several got lunch at that time. There was also 2 tourist gift shops if you were fast. We also had 1 quick bathroom stop. The rest of the time was on the bus. We got to the EWR airport at about 1:45 p.m. Our flight was at 4:00. Others had later flights and the guide told them that the airport let them check in early and they could take a free hotel shuttle to a nearby mall if they wanted to kill some time.

We found it a great way to get a taste of Manhattan before we flew back to California.

We have completed our cruise so I thought I would update this with information on the post cruise excursion we took from Antham of the Seas "Manhattan highlights and transfer to EWR".

They gave all of us the same luggage tags (zone 15) with departure at 8:30. Those on the tour met at 8:30 in a bar on deck 4. We went out together as a group to pick up our luggage and go through customers. We bypassed the main line and got to jump ahead. We were on the bus by 9:00 a.m. We toured all through Manhattan and had a guide on the mic giving us info on what we were seeing. It was a huge bus with a restroom on board. We got off the bus at ground zero for 30 minutes. There was a pizza place there with pizza to go and several got lunch at that time. There was also 2 tourist gift shops if you were fast. We also had 1 quick bathroom stop. The rest of the time was on the bus. We got to the EWR airport at about 1:45 p.m. Our flight was at 4:00. Others had later flights and the guide told them that the airport let them check in early and they could take a free hotel shuttle to a nearby mall if they wanted to kill some time.

We found it a great way to get a taste of Manhattan before we flew back to California.

Thank you for the report. It is very hard to find any info.

We will have time after the tour as our flight doesn't leave till close to 7pm. The free shuttle sounds good.

Thank you for the report. It is very hard to find any info.

We will have time after the tour as our flight doesn't leave till close to 7pm. The free shuttle sounds good.

The shuttle is from the Embassy Suites Elizabeth. You pick it up outside P4. The mall is right across the street from the hotel. Pretty close though you do have to walk across the huge parking lot at the mall. There is also a Ruby Tuesday right there if you need a meal.

The shuttle is from the Embassy Suites Elizabeth. You pick it up outside P4. The mall is right across the street from the hotel. Pretty close though you do have to walk across the huge parking lot at the mall. There is also a Ruby Tuesday right there if you need a meal.

We stayed at the ES. The van is black with a green 'E' for Embassy Suites on the side. Tell the driver you'd like to go to the mall and he'll drop you at the door and arrange a time to pick you up. I'm sure a few dollars would be appreciated;p.

Simon

We stayed at the ES. The van is black with a green 'E' for Embassy Suites on the side. Tell the driver you'd like to go to the mall and he'll drop you at the door and arrange a time to pick you up. I'm sure a few dollars would be appreciated;p.

Simon

We are staying ahead at that ES. So you just take the shuttle from the airport to the Hotel and to the mall then?

Ah, didn't realise you were staying there. In that case, take the shuttle to ES. It is only a 300 yard walk to the Mall across the car park...you can't miss it!!

So you are aware, at this ES, due to local law, you only get one free drink at the evening reception. After that , everything is $2. Evening meals aren't too bad (though we had a stroppy waitress) and there is a Ruby Tuesday and IHOP across the road.

Simon

Ah, didn't realise you were staying there. In that case, take the shuttle to ES. It is only a 300 yard walk to the Mall across the car park...you can't miss it!!

So you are aware, at this ES, due to local law, you only get one free drink at the evening reception. After that , everything is $2. Evening meals aren't too bad (though we had a stroppy waitress) and there is a Ruby Tuesday and IHOP across the road.

Simon

Thanks, We were thinking of the Johnny Rockets, as we wanted to try it before the cruise to see if we will like it for the ship.

Thanks, We were thinking of the Johnny Rockets, as we wanted to try it before the cruise to see if we will like it for the ship.

Johnny Rockets as a restaurant is going to be different from Johnny Rockets on the Anthem.

On Anthem the menu is limited and it is a take out place rather than a sit down restaurant. You get your food and can eat it at some outdoor tables (not ideal on winter Sea days) or take it into the WJ or elsewhere to eat. Look at post 712 for the menu. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53926638&highlight=Johnny+Rockets#post53926638

Johnny Rockets in Elizabeth is a real restaurant with an expanded menu - https://www.allmenus.com/nj/elizabeth/155402-johnny-rockets/menu/

So don't expect your experience in Elizabeth to be duplicated on the Anthem.

• 1 month later...

Hello...We are planning on taking the Manhattan sightseeing tour post Anthem cruise next Sept. I see it has the options of dropping off at EWR, JFK or LGA. We will be doing this on a Saturday if that makes any difference. I am pricing airline tickets. Is one of these airports better or worse than the others? Looks like we can get the best price out of LGA.