Sept 30 Divina still going to San Juan? REALLY MSC?

Morgsmom

Think about this...when a deposit to sail on a ship is put down a contract is entered into. Ever since the days of square rigged sailing packets that contract states that when and where the ship will eventually land is solely at the discretion of the owners and finallfy the Captain. Soooo...even if the ship departs with a definite schedule that schedule can change while you are at sea and technically the company owes you nothing. Fortunately the company, in this case MSC, offered discounts and cancellations when a voyage was cancelled. Traveling in hurricane season is dicey and that is a condition that I accepted when I booked for the 30th. It is hurricane season so stressing over destinations IMHO is a waste of time and energy. I will just wait and see and hope for the best.:)

Traveling in hurricane season is dicey

yes it is for sure, but the end of December is hardly in the season.

MSC made a decision that Divina would sail a Western for the 23rd and then revert back to Eastern going to Antigua on the 30th sailing, hardly a none decision.

We are in a 10 night trip out of Miami on the Divina in February with Ports including St Martin and Tortola, it is going to be interesting to see where that itinerary will be changed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Maybe Cozumel and Costa Maya. I am booking my excursions that have limited availability (for instance Nachi in Cozumel takes only 130 guests) this week/next since the Western itinerary will be very crowded.

Loved the Escape. Was on her in July for my 50th with my dh (left kids at home).

It was one of my best cruises ever!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

9/25/2017

MSC Divina (Update: September 25, 2017)

Our thoughts and prayers are with the population of the Caribbean islands impacted by Hurricanes Maria and Irma. As the islands affected by the storms recover, MSC Divina will be replacing her Eastern Caribbean itineraries for September 30, October 14 and October 28 with a Western Caribbean itinerary, calling at Montego Bay (Jamaica), Georgetown (Cayman Islands), Costa Maya (Mexico) and Nassau (Bahamas).

We are in close contact with the islands impacted by the storm, and will resume our Eastern Caribbean itineraries as soon as circumstances allow. Please continue to monitor our web site for further updates, including November sail dates.

For the Sept. 30, October 14 and October 28 sail dates, guests who choose to cancel their cruise may do so and receive a Future Cruise Credit for the penalty amount to be used on the stateroom fare for a future MSC Cruises sailing within 2 years, excluding sailing dates during Christmas and New year’s, and itineraries to China and Cuba. (Please CLICK HERE to view our Cancellation Policy and penalty chart under “Cancellations and Changes By Passenger.” Refunds will be processed within 21 business days. Please contact our call center at 1-877-665-4655 in order to confirm your cancellation.

This Future Cruise Credit for the penalty amount can be applied on regular cruise-only fares off the regular promotion at the time of booking. It can be applied to cruises for any number of nights, with few exceptions: this voucher is not valid on MSC World Cruise, sailing dates during Christmas and New Year’s, and itineraries to China and Cuba. It does not have any cash value and is neither transferable nor refundable. It can be combined with MSC Voyagers Club Membership and Civil Service and Military Discounts.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/itinerary-weather-updates.aspx

Some cruise lines are doing two stops in the Bahamas which I wouldn't love, but our next cruise (on Seaside) is more about the ship than the destinations. But I agree...5 sea days is a bit much.

I think they're going to find alternative islands/ports that will work in the eastern Caribbean. I can't see a lot of people going on back to back cruises if they stay in the west week after week unless they alternate ports there, too.

If they do with Seaside, what they presently seem to be doing with Divina, then the San Juan, St. Maarten, Nassau itinerary, will be changed to Georgetown (Cayman Islands), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Costa Maya (Mexico), and Nassau. If they swap it for a western, it's going to have to be different than the western before or after it that they're doing for the 14 day cruisers (two 7 day cruises), or it's going to result in the 14 day cruisers going to same place twice.

They're western is already Cayman Islands (but in Grand Cayman), Jamaica (but in Ocho Rios), and Mexico (but in Cozumel), right?

oops... I just noticed that the info was already posted about the itinerary. It's good to hear though that they won't keep our penalty amount, and will allow us to use it as a credit on a future cruise.

Edited by lovelights
Had to add something.

Mine is in 21 days I think that is getting a little confusing but I am not even thinking of cancelling so it is funny someone who booked for a cruise that is 4 months away is thinking of cancelling ... WHAT? Really? just go and plan around it, no big deal . I planned trips one month ahead before (such as a Nicaragua trip one my own alone and didnt know a thing about the place. Best rip ever!!!)and didnt sweat it how can someone take a cruise and want to cancel for things happening months before? I do not get it.

I don't think you're understanding that some people would be interested in canceling for several reasons. Maybe they paid more to go on a specific itinerary, compared to another itinerary that was offered, and now if they are being told that they are going on the itinerary that was offered for less money, but there will be no compensation, then they would cancel because they don't want to pay extra for an itinerary that they weren't interested in to begin with.

Maybe they're going on a 14 day cruise where the eastern and western were B2B, and they're not interested in going to the same places twice.

Maybe they've already been to some of the places on the changed itinerary a dozen times, and don't want to go again.

I can understand if the cruise line had to change due to weather, or a malfunction with the ship, and they had to switch some places around. However, this isn't the case. It's a very unfortunate situation for the islands that are suppose to be on the original itinerary, and I know the fine print indicates that the cruise line has the right to make adjustments, but this is an entirely different cruise. It's like saying you paid to go to the Southern Caribbean, but you're going to go to the Bahamas and sit at Nassau for a few days, and this is suppose to be acceptable.

I'm going on my cruise mainly for the ship, and this isn't something we normally do. We usually go for the itinerary, but that's not the case this time. My husband is looking forward to this vacation so badly, that he said he doesn't care if we just spin around in the Atlantic for 7 days, but either way, I'm sure MSC is going to do the best thing for their passengers.

Mine is in 21 days I think that is getting a little confusing but I am not even thinking of cancelling so it is funny someone who booked for a cruise that is 4 months away is thinking of cancelling ... WHAT? Really? just go and plan around it, no big deal . I planned trips one month ahead before (such as a Nicaragua trip one my own alone and didnt know a thing about the place. Best rip ever!!!)and didnt sweat it how can someone take a cruise and want to cancel for things happening months before? I do not get it.

I would not cancel but I been on all of them and don't care too much where to go, and sometimes we just stay on ship :rolleyes:, but I understand if people never been there or fly from Europe to see certain place and now they can not.

NOT gonna happen st martin is down for possibly a year or more

Interesting, onboard the Divina right now.

Had a nice chat with the Captain and Hotel Director today.

Captain told me that MSC will not be sending the Divina to St Maarten for six months.

There are many reports of the island springing back to life, as reported here.

gary