Hurricane Maria

let's go cruising

It sounds like St. Croix is in the path of this storm. Any updates would be appreciated. Renee

Sorry' date=' Renee. [b']Wish the news would be better!! [/b]Here is more as to what is hitting these scenic islands. Very sad and challenging situation. We will all hope for the best, but "two-in-a-row" are too, too many dire happenings.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Category 3 Maria takes aim at the Caribbean islands leveled by Irma with these story highlights: The National Hurricane Center in Miami says that Hurricane Maria has strengthened to a Category 3 storm and was 'rapidly' intensifying into a major hurricane. The eye is expected to move through the Leeward Islands later Monday. The storm's center was about 60 miles east of Martinique, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph. The storm is on a path that would take it near many of the islands wrecked by Hurricane Irma and on toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Hurricane warnings were posted for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat and Martinique. A tropical storm warning was issued for Antigua and Barbuda, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Lucia.

Below are a couple of their graphics to better show where this storm is headed, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895266/Hurricane-Jose-pound-East-Coast-week.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,278 views for this posting.

From the Daily Mail, here are the graphics/charts showing the Hurricane Maria path and direction.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.10.50%20PM_zpsscq8lopb.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.13.19%20PM_zpsetac5mq8.png

It does not look good for my beloved island. Cat 4 or 5 storm headed towards them and should arrive late tonight. They are under mandatory curfew starting at 10 a.m. today and all power will be turned off at 2 p.m.

Please keep the Cruzans in your hearts and prayers. They are terrified.

Interesting update about your cruise tbmrt. I guess "not too much damage" is relative. Hurricane Maria hit St. Croix very hard, especially the West End, but I can see that they are working hard to clean up the port of Frederiksted so perhaps STX will be the go to port among the Virgins this year.

Celebrity has replaced St. Maarten with St. Croix for several cruises, starting the beginning of November. I have seen several articles that state the cruise port infrastructure is ok, and that well-constructed buildings on the island had little damage. I hope that St. Croix has fared better than original reports feared. So many people throughout the region have been hurt by these storms.

Researched much more and see that pages for various recommended hotels on St. Croix do show damage and are closed.

Hoping for the best for them of course and also that this port, chosen by Celebrity yesterday for our December, 2017 cruise, will be better by that time.

We just got back from a cruise last week and I am feeling so grateful that our Tampa area, FL home escaped the wrath of recent hurricanes. It was sad to see so much damage as we drove through Naples and Bonita Springs enroute to the Miami port.

Seems the area around Fredericksted was badly damaged by Maria according to my friend who has a granddaughter who lives in St. Croix and along with her husband are "first responders". The Christiansted area had less damage but power lines and downed trees blocking the roads were going to require a massive cleanup.

My Dec 10 Celebrity Eclipse cruise also replaced St. Maarten with St. Croix. I've written to my favorite day pass beach hotel, Sandcastle on the Beach, and asked if they are open.

We will be sailing with you Dec 10th. Would you let us know if you here back from Sandcastle.You should post on on the roll call web. thanks !!)

Patty N Fran

luvstosail

Boston Ma

Most of the hotels on St. Croix are closed until November for a couple of reasons. First, they have a lot of clean up to do. Second, the island has limited power (many of the hotels have their own generators). Third, there is a curfew in place from 6 p.m. until 11 a.m. each day so it would be difficult for guests to get around the island. And, fourth, and most importantly, the island needs to focus on the needs of its citizens right now and adding people who need food, water and power will slow the recovery down.

The Governor announced the other day that they are shooting for 90% restoration of power throughout the territory by Christmas.