21 day Carry-on - have you done this?

RCNslr

I feel your pain! Recently I managed to get the gate next to the one I just exited, so your time is due. I am ready to pack my wife's carry-on under her supervision (of course!). I have finished packing my carry-on for the 16 night Sirena cruise and the three night land stay and I must admit there is much more I would have liked to include, but space is limited, so I will do without binoculars, big camera, scissors etc. Business class is an advantage for overhead space, thus we win on the space not so much on the cost of tickets. They won't be able to lose our luggage since it is with us and the temptation to buy more stuff in airports will be diminished since we won't have any room to stuff it. I weighed my bag and it is 18 lbs, maybe a touch more, but should pass muster. We change aircraft 3 times enroute to

Barcelona, and will have gates to get to but time to do it. Icelandair is best, the gate change is in the same terminal and very close[ they have great schedules on their routes. Swissair will be fine in Paris and Zurich but could be long walks. Yes, I know, I booked this stuff myself hence all the changes of carriers, next time my travel agent can do this. Well we are off to test the 21 day carryon trip and will let you know how it went after we finish dodging hurricanes on Sirena as she heads for Miami.quote=Kate-AHF;54093483]I completely understand. it never fails, I get the gate assignment for my connection, check it against the airport map, and my reaction is always "*&^%$%&$* because the gate I need is in the next county. You would think the law of averages would mean that at some point I will get a nearby gate assignment. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not going to try to pack in a 21 inch carry-on. There is never room for it in the overheads. But I have gotten tired of feeling like a pack mule with a small case and my oversized "purse". I recently was entranced by the 15-16 inch underseat carryon rollers, and bought two, one for me, and one for DH plus luggage bungees to strap the "purse" to it. I look forward to our first trip with them next year, walking that mile to the gate, with nothing on my shoulders and a tiny roller behind me.

Except for meds and toiletries pack for 5 days (or so) and repeat.

Mix and match colors, neutral bottoms and jackets/sweaters. Two websites--The Vivienne Files have lots of color combos. Lady Light Travel has lots of travel ideas.

The Fashion and Beauty board has lots of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done it several times, most recently in Italy last fall. And we were going from late-summer weather in Rome to chilly fall weather in Florence. For my husband it's a simple matter of getting a few shirts or a pair of pants laundered, for me it's a matter of "ringing the changes" with tops and bottoms for dressing up in the evening aboard ship.

We did it on a combined Paris and Nile cruise trip too, and it was late October and Paris weather was quite cold while Egypt was searing hot.

We're about to do it again on the Paul Gauguin, but this is a casual, warm-weather destination so it's much easier.

As for why--it's just so easy not to have to hang around baggage carousels after you get off a flight, and to lug those heavy bags, even with wheels to help.

Yes, all the time. Everyone and cabin stewards are amazed. Even though first checked bag is free, I carry on so it arrives when I do. Don't want it taking a more fun vacation than me.

Longest cruises were Rome to Sydney on Nautica with a week in an apt. Pre cruise. Also Tahiti to Dover on Marina.

I use a hard side spinner which I use as a foot rest under the seat to relieve leg cramps. Use an expandable computer bag as my "purse".

Yes, I wear the same clothes many times, but with the laundromat, no problem. And if people notice me repeating, they have too much time on their hands. I'm vacationing, not trying to impress anyone.

Happy sailing to all.

I feel your pain! Recently I managed to get the gate next to the one I just exited, so your time is due. I am ready to pack my wife's carry-on under her supervision (of course!). I have finished packing my carry-on for the 16 night Sirena cruise and the three night land stay and I must admit there is much more I would have liked to include, but space is limited, so I will do without binoculars, big camera, scissors etc. Business class is an advantage for overhead space, thus we win on the space not so much on the cost of tickets. They won't be able to lose our luggage since it is with us and the temptation to buy more stuff in airports will be diminished since we won't have any room to stuff it. I weighed my bag and it is 18 lbs, maybe a touch more, but should pass muster. We change aircraft 3 times enroute to

Barcelona, and will have gates to get to but time to do it. Icelandair is best, the gate change is in the same terminal and very close[ they have great schedules on their routes. Swissair will be fine in Paris and Zurich but could be long walks. Yes, I know, I booked this stuff myself hence all the changes of carriers, next time my travel agent can do this. Well we are off to test the 21 day carryon trip and will let you know how it went after we finish dodging hurricanes on Sirena as she heads for Miami.quote=Kate-AHF;54093483]I completely understand. it never fails, I get the gate assignment for my connection, check it against the airport map, and my reaction is always "*&^%$%&$* because the gate I need is in the next county. You would think the law of averages would mean that at some point I will get a nearby gate assignment. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not going to try to pack in a 21 inch carry-on. There is never room for it in the overheads. But I have gotten tired of feeling like a pack mule with a small case and my oversized "purse". I recently was entranced by the 15-16 inch underseat carryon rollers, and bought two, one for me, and one for DH plus luggage bungees to strap the "purse" to it. I look forward to our first trip with them next year, walking that mile to the gate, with nothing on my shoulders and a tiny roller behind me.

I am amazed and inspired by these stories from seriously light packers! But regarding the smaller underwear roller bag, I have been frustrated by it not fitting under a seat where the entertainment gear boxes take up 5 inches of width. I'm often in a middle seat, where 2 of these gear boxes mean my feet must be straight forward with no space for anything else.

My Apple i7 cell phone takes decent close up shots, but nowhere near the quality I get with my SLR Canon and it's two lenses. Some people could care less about trip photos and take no pictures at all along the way. Each to his/her own.

My carry on is a backpack made for cameras and gear, that also holds my Kindle, Bose noise reducing Headphones , extra glasses, and travel documents. My suitcase is checked. Keeping up with that backpack is enough for me.

I typically laugh watching some of the carry on kings trying to get all their stuff into a men's bathroom stall! Or watching them demand a four top in a busy airport restaurant because all their stuff will be (or is) blocking the aisle ways. We fly regional jets to get to the main hubs. All those rollers have to be hand checked at the gate or before boarding. My small backpack barely fits overhead! Even on many planes, in Economy, maybe if you're 5'4" you might be able to sit in the seat with that roller carry on under the seat in grip the of you. At 6'2", it's not going to happen. Might as well just check them in the beginning and be done with it.

To each his own.

Twice I have had my checked luggage misdirected, including one time when I was traveling in the Middle East and my luggage was lost for 10 days.

I don't mind having my roller board hand-checked on regional aircraft. In fact, it's kind of nice to not have to worry about overhead space but to rest assured that it is being placed in the hold and being able to collect it upon arrival on the jetway.

Whenever possible, I upgrade to business or first and/or fly an airline where I can have priority boarding due to status. I also try to book seats in the rear of whatever cabin I'm sitting since people will take the first bins they find no matter where they are sitting.

Mark;

Lol; the latter part is so true! The airlines attempted years ago to load the rear of the plane first, thinking it would be more efficient and lead to quicker boarding. Results, the jerks in the rear boarded and stuck their carry ons in the first available space in the front of the plane. Chaos ensued, and that experiment didn't last long!

Mark;

Lol; the latter part is so true! The airlines attempted years ago to load the rear of the plane first, thinking it would be more efficient and lead to quicker boarding. Results, the jerks in the rear boarded and stuck their carry ons in the first available space in the front of the plane. Chaos ensued, and that experiment didn't last long!

Occasionally Delta will, at the gate, offer to take some carryons and have an employee preload them into an overhead bin directly over the passenger's seat. It's a really great idea and wish they would do it more often!

First check in with you all, we arrived in Barcelona without incident. If we had checked our bags we would have been in trouble because our flights were changed due to weather and it was easy to switch because we had carry ons - an unforeseen advantage. Business class was what made it so easy, lots of room for our two roll on bags and two computer size bags. No question asked by any of the agents. Tricky trying to load the new electronic boarding passes in Paris CDG just as we got to the security guy, but it worked. Our Swissair flight were delayed for weather reasons and Lufthansa flew us from Paris on busy flights but got us there only twenty minutes later than we were originally scheduled. Great work by ground staff who told us it would not work if we had checked our bags - security reasons. Just walked Las Rambla and watching CNN to see the poor people caught in the Caribbean storm, our wishes for their safety are foremost in our minds.

Wow! Respect!!! You all must be very slim or magicians, my carry on gets filled with so much other stuff that I don't want to lose that there is no room for clothes.

Agree . No way I could put everything into carry on with all the other "stuff."

Also, where do you all put the "liquids" that must be put in the hold. We got stopped in security with a tiny pot of honey which was accidentally left in the carry on from a non fly holiday. Make up, toothpaste etc, not allowed in the cabin.

Also, where do you all put the "liquids" that must be put in the hold. We got stopped in security with a tiny pot of honey which was accidentally left in the carry on from a non fly holiday. Make up, toothpaste etc, not allowed in the cabin.
Literally LOL (at the honey) I don't travel with honey, never have and probably never will.

Well since you asked. As a man I don't have any makeup, but I do take travel size shave cream, of which a fresh can lasts about 4 weeks (I take 2 if the trip is longer than 4 weeks), and larger than travel size 2.8 oz Colgate which lasts a good 6-8 weeks, and stick deodorant which doesn't need to go into liquid bag, and 3 oz Neutrogena Sunscreen. If I run out of anything I buy new on the road; sunscreen being the only thing I've ever run out of. I also carry a few other small things like the Aesop anti-oxidant hydrator cream which I get everytime I fly Cathay Pacific first class. Note the larger, but legal, Colgate 2.8 oz toothpaste sizes are difficult to find. My Safeway, Walmart, CVS, and even Wegmans didn't carry them so I ordered a 12 pack of them from Amazon which should last me about 6 years.

As far as fighting for overhead space, I never have had to as I fly first, or business if there is no first cabin. Now the flight I just took from HDS to JNB yesterday and CPT to HDS last weekend was turboprop and only economy and I tarmac checked the larger carryon which was waiting for me on the tarmac when I deplaned, no need to go to baggage claim.

As far as those who are mobility challenged, I would imagine they would, and should, check their luggage. I doubt the OP is in that category, otherwise s/he would not have asked the question.

Also I am not thin by any stretch of the imagination, but not fat either (although I often feel that way after eating a meal on O). I'm within 10 lbs + or - of my BMI. So 38" waist and a few extra pounds around the middle. Many would say average body type.

Carry on travel is not for everyone, but I highly recommend it if you think it may be for you. While most of you have surpassed me in the number of cruises, I would venture a guess that I probably fly more than most on this site. I fly from 24 to 36 flights each year. I take 2 major trips each year ranging from 4-8 weeks each, sometimes with an O cruise as part of the trip. My current 7 week trip alone includes 22 flights, to 16 countries, on 3 continents, and a 10 day cruise (7 of the 16 countries).

Another benefit of doing carry-on is that along with online checkin you don't have to go to the checkin counter, and can just proceed through security and straight to the lounge.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

On the subject of liquids, it's easy to get small travel or trial sizes of most items at the drugstore. I collect small toothpaste sizes from the dentist as well. Two quart-sized ziplocks later, and we're set to go. Yes, if you want to carry liquor not from the penultimate duty-free, or maple syrup, you're out of luck, and I have checked bags just for that reason.

On the one hand it's lovely to check your bags in the airport when you're departing, and have that freedom, I agree. But then again...last winter we almost lost our checked bag in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Luckily it turned up a few hours later and a quick cab ride to the airport led to a big sigh of relief. The only reason we had a checked bag was that we were on an 18-day cruise followed by a land trip of more than a week, and it was just too much. And I hate that stressful waiting at the luggage carousel--will it be there, or not?

Playing the game of tight packing is a game some enjoy playing, others not. Each to their own.

One example is when I return from numerous European countries, along with Oz and NZ, I will return with great wines that are either near impossible to get in the US or is outrageously expensive to purchase here as opposed to the local of origin. Many posters here don't drink alcohol, so bringing back wine, and the space to do so, is inconceivable . Other lifestyle examples are similarly present. We all have different reasons for doing different things. One's joys may be a Bain to others. After years of traveling sometimes 70% of the time, I find no enjoyment in dragging anything unnecessary around with me through airports. Waiting for my luggage is not that painful. Each to their own.

playing the game of tight packing is a game some enjoy playing, others not. Each to their own.

One example is when i return from numerous european countries, along with oz and nz, i will return with great wines that are either near impossible to get in the us or is outrageously expensive to purchase here as opposed to the local of origin. Many posters here don't drink alcohol, so bringing back wine, and the space to do so, is inconceivable . Other lifestyle examples are similarly present. We all have different reasons for doing different things. One's joys may be a bain to others. After years of traveling sometimes 70% of the time, i find no enjoyment in dragging anything unnecessary around with me through airports. Waiting for my luggage is not that painful. Each to their own.

+ 1

Glad you got to Barcelona WITH your carry ons! But do note that "Swissair" is - very sadly - no more. Our national shame is that it was "grounded" in 2001 and replaced the next year by Swiss International Airlines, commonly called just "Swiss".

Even more of a shame it owned by Lufthansa.. (but I still like flying them and go out of the way to fly via ZRH)

Regarding the ability to return with extras -- certainly coming home is not at all critical and a separate zipper roll up bag or a newly bought cheapy can be used for the goodies purchased.aboard

It is the arrival and not having luggage that makes me to do the carry on for my trips. I have over 5M of traveled miles and do my best to schedule with enough time for me and baggage transfers, but it has happened countless times in the past that I arrive and wait and wait at the baggage carousel (with that sinking feeling).

Edited by PaulMCO

I agree

it is more critical to arrive with luggage than when returning home

I would rather not have to worry if my bags will be on the same vacation as I am .....personal choice

When I have to check my big bags I cross pack & hope we get at least one bag if we get both it is another successful flight ;)

If I do take carry on sometimes it is gate checked but usually we each have a small 20 or 21" roller bag

coming home I pack a small folding bag to bring home extras then check the carry-ons

it is all about what works best for you

Yes, I carry on but am still plagued with dragging my luggage up and down stairs in train/ subway stations. Often there is a willing gentleman the who offers to assist ( no one's run off with my bag yet ). I've been in climes when it was either too hot or too cool to wear what I had paced see I repeated out of necessity without injury to my ego. My pet peeve is the myriad of air travelers who board the plane loaded down like pack mules; they have no shame and push the limits of acceptable. They complicate the boarding and disembarkation process. Oh well, enough said.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I keep on trying to reduce what I pack but find it impossible. I really don't take that much, but once I have two pair of walking shoes and a pair of shoes for a nice restaurant, even with a 28" suitcase space becomes difficult! I have been cutting down but I still need a real suitcase.

Plus my carry on is my computer bag and once I try to stuff a light weight laptop and two cameras with paraphernalia ... oops, game over.

In early years we did often buy a cheap carry on to bring our purchases home ... we haven't done so in many years although there are times ... Perhaps I could sell some of those bags on Ebay! Most have hardly been used ... but I do love the one we got in Kenya 30 years ago ...

I also buy too many t-shirts when I'm vacationing ... and sometimes I'm bringing back some wines or leftover liquor as well ... Generally we aren't big shoppers although we have occasionally made big purchases overseas ... which often were shipped home separately. An 8x10 rug from Turkey really doesn't fit in my suitcase ...

Then again, when we are planning on a land trip pre- or post-cruise, it becomes even more difficult.

We did a Portugal land trip with friends in June. For that, rather than bringing my big suitcase I used a smaller Oceania case that I'd purchased on our Sirena cruise in October '16. Given that we were four people traveling in one car, albeit a fairly large one, I was concerned about getting everything into the trunk. Fortunately for us our friends DO travel with small luggage and everything fit!

The Oceania case was sufficient for my needs (no fancy dinners planned on this trip!) in Portugal and did fit into the car's trunk which my 28" suitcase would NOT have. But it wasn't really convenient since I had to pack top-down rather than sideways. If we were staying in one place for the night I'd leave the luggage in the car and pack necessaries in my carry-on.

As others have said -- we all have different styles in traveling. Some day I may be able to travel as minimally as others do ... believe me, I do NOT bring a different outfit for every dinner ...

But shoes ... aye, there's the rub!