CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Could you share what you paid for your first Uber trip including number of people and amount of luggage?

It's posted somewhere up in the thread, but here you go...

Newark Penn Station Hilton to Cape Liberty, two people, each with one large suitcase and a backpack. 9:35 am Thursday, $18.80 plus tip. He was in the area, so pulled up immediately.

Cape Liberty to EWR, 7:44 am Saturday, $26.91 plus tip (not sure if that was surge pricing or an airport surcharge, but it was still much less than a taxi). Same as before, 2 people, 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also Uber is fine if they are around, but if Anthem gets off first and gets the Ubers, then it might not be that easy to call Uber. Uber is always a crapshoot no matter where. Always have a back up plan.

As far as I know, there are never two ships at Cape Liberty at the same time.

As far as I know, there are never two ships at Cape Liberty at the same time.

So far there have not been two ships at Cape Liberty at the same time and the terminal is not set up to board more than one ship at a time.

However, the port is being used a lot more this year. In addition to Anthem and Summit, Adventure will come for the summer season, one of the " Mein Schiff's" will call several times, and the Vision TA ends at CL.

Thank you subtchr for all the info regarding transport to EWR. It is very helpful. Feel much relieved about our 12:30 flight! Hope you had a great trip!

You're very welcome, and we did!

We could have made a flight as early as 9:00 or 9:30 (not that I would ever take the chance to book something that early!).

We were a bit hesitant to book Anthem because of the size (we are big fans of Radiance class ships), but we REALLY loved the ship. We'd still prefer it with about 1000 fewer fellow guests, but it had so many great features that we would not hesitate to sail on a Quantum class ship again.

Could you share what you paid for your first Uber trip including number of people and amount of luggage?

To further elaborate on the Uber trips, both were Uber X, the cheapest option. With only two people, even with luggage, Uber X will always work. With more people, it will be necessary to go with Uber XL or another option, which will increase the cost, sometimes significantly.

Someone asked a month ago about RCI's disembark tour of NYC ending at EWR. We did this yesterday and it was a pretty good way of getting a 'taste' of NYC. We left Cape Liberty about 9:15 and drove to NY via Holland Tunnel. Went down to Battery Park and stopped near 9/11 memorial. Had 30 mins there to walk around and take photos of the north and south 'pools' etc, but of course not enough time to go in the museum. Back on the bus and went up the East River, along 5th and 7th Aves and Times Sq. Left NY about 1:30pm and got to EWR(via Lincoln Tunnel) about 2pm, so it did its job in that it killed some time...our flight was 6:20pm! As an aside, if you are from the UK and reading this, be aware at EWR the British Airways check in does not open until 3:30pm, as they do only evening flights. This includes for bag drop, so don't get there at 10am thinking you can drop your bags and go off to Jersey Gardens Mall or something, as I don't think there is any 'left luggage' place.

Simon

I asked about RC Disembark cruise of NY to JFK airport. Did you get on a different bus to those going to JFK Airport ?

We are flying at 6pm to the UK so if we got there at 2pm that would be good as we need to get there 3 hours before so we have plenty of time to get through security.

Besides getting off near 9/11 memorial did you stop and get off anywhere else and if so where and for how long ?

Thanks

Was worth doing then to kill time before going to the airport ?

Certainly if you have never been to NYC before, and still a good way to kill time even if you have. At EWR you have the option of going to Jersey Gardens Mall, but I don't know if there is anything you can do near JFK. Even if you got off the ship last, you would still be at JFK around 11am, so it definately kills more time. I'd do it again, though I would probably see if there is an earlier BA flight available from JFK rather than twiddling my thumbs at EWR.

Simon

Thanks. We are arriving 3 days before the cruise so we do have time to see a lot of New York before we get on the ship.

That's why I was wondering what you covered on the tour so I could miss that out and see on the tour before going to JFK.

I thought tour best to fill time and kill 2 birds with a bit of sightseeing and transfer to the airport for the price.

Was worth doing then to kill time before going to the airport ?
BA at JFK is at Terminal 7 with nice club lounges, if you have flyer's membership for access ??

"Air-side" lounges are getting new upgrades & modernization for ground comforts while you wait - when we used to fly out from T-7 on Cathy Pacific (OneWorld Alliance) - we would burn time upstairs, just past TSA security, relax - enjoy snacks & beverages, before the aircraft is ready for boarding ... comfortable chairs & loungers, free WiFi, TV's & newspapers, not to mention the bar & restrooms, etc.

Might want to inquire about day passes/guest privileges if offered - especially if you would've already seen most of NYC pre-cruise. Airport transfer/tour is mostly/all a drive-by with narrative. Priority Lounge access is available & I know that day passes are sold, $50 p/p at 2 other terminals via the free AirTrain. But, still lots of time to wait - even if they start checking bags earlier in the day ... there isn't much to do around/outside the immediate airport area.

Depending on day of the week, a direct car service trip form Cape Liberty to JFK will easily take 90 minutes to 2 hours plus in heavy traffic or poor weather. With tipping & tolls, estimated about $125 USD for the trip (vs. RCI - cost $99 p/p ??)

What is the availability of taxis at Cape Liberty Port?

Taxis are usually available at Cape Liberty.

However, I see you are on my January 28 cruise. The only bad experience I had at Cape Liberty was arriving back in a snowstorm when taxis were less available. Everyone's transportation was disrupted in some way. Where will you be trying to go?

Taxis are usually available at Cape Liberty.

However, I see you are on my January 28 cruise. The only bad experience I had at Cape Liberty was arriving back in a snowstorm when taxis were less available. Everyone's transportation was disrupted in some way. Where will you be trying to go?

Penn Station, Newark in case of any inclement weather.

Penn Station, Newark in case of any inclement weather.

That's where I was going on the trip with the snow. I travel solo, so I asked the taxi dispatcher to get me in a shared cab that was going near a PATH station, so I ended up going to Journal Square and then on to Newark Penn Station via PATH. In Feb I'm going to NY Penn Station, hopefully via light rail and Path.

That's where I was going on the trip with the snow. I travel solo, so I asked the taxi dispatcher to get me in a shared cab that was going near a PATH station, so I ended up going to Journal Square and then on to Newark Penn Station via PATH. In Feb I'm going to NY Penn Station, hopefully via light rail and Path.

When we sailed the Quantum in Feb. '15 there was terrible snow/sleeting storm and the limo that we had reserved did not make it out. We took a local taxi to Matawan train station to Newark Penn Station and after worrying for about 20 minutes (did not see a taxi during our wait), a taxi came by and took to the cruise port. Felt sorry for him as he quoted me a flat price, but it took some 55 minutes for the last mile. Tipped him accordingly.

Ps. The next day, our balcony rail were all iced up.

If by rail why NY and not Newark PS. Unless you're spending some time in NYC.

for the experts

staying at 312 W37th

planning on taking the subway to WTC

then Path to exchange

Change to light rail to 34th then uber the rest of the way to the Anthem

What would you change

That will work. However, as I recall it's a walk underground from the Chambers St E train to PATH at the World Trade plus it's an extra fare to go this way. From Exchange Place you need to take the 8th St Bayonne train and get off at 34th St.

I'm doing this in Jan, but my hotel is on W 32nd, so I'm taking PATH from 32nd-33rd St & 6th to Hoboken and the light rail to Bayonne. I've done luggage on the NYC subway and was not happy with the overall accessibility. By contrast PATH at 33rd has elevator access to the concourse level and a wide turnstile that is easy with luggage. I also like the Hoboken Station and its views of Manhattan. Getting on at the beginning of the line means you get a choice of seats that work with your luggage.