Insurance for Flights

Bigbluegal

How do most of you obtain flight insurance....as part of your cruise insurance? We have insurance through RC and I don't think flight cancellation is included. This last week has been crazy as we are supposed to sail 9/30 out of San Juan. We originally had flights with SW and arriving on Friday. Our hotel cancelled which prompted me to start looking to fly in on Saturday and go straight to the boat. I looked into changing my SW reservation but was unable to secure reservations for Saturday. So...........I then secured reservations through the Sea2Air with American. Now I am fearing that if we get cancelled that I will be out 2 sets of tickets for 5 peeps. Anyone had similar experience?

How do most of you obtain flight insurance....as part of your cruise insurance? We have insurance through RC and I don't think flight cancellation is included. This last week has been crazy as we are supposed to sail 9/30 out of San Juan. We originally had flights with SW and arriving on Friday. Our hotel cancelled which prompted me to start looking to fly in on Saturday and go straight to the boat. I looked into changing my SW reservation but was unable to secure reservations for Saturday. So...........I then secured reservations through the Sea2Air with American. Now I am fearing that if we get cancelled that I will be out 2 sets of tickets for 5 peeps. Anyone had similar experience?

In the UK we get an annual comprehensive insurance to cover cruising and trips to the US etc.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I always purchase travel insurance outside of the cruise line. You can use the links above but you have to make sure the company you select is offering you primary coverage rather than secondary coverage where your health/homeowners pays first and then the travel insurance kicks in.

I usually use Travelex and they cover the dollar amount you are out......flights, non refundable payments, etc. for the covered reasons. Also, much better medical, trip interrupt, etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When looking at coverage make sure you look at the policy limits. On a recent cruise we were caught up in cancelled flights due to weather and had to rebook new flights at the airport to make it to cruise on time as the original carrier couldn't get us there until after the cruise left. Upshot was we paid $157/pp for the original flights (which Southwest refunded). The new flights were $651/pp. Because it was covered under travel day and my limit was $150/pp we're being reimbursed $300 toward the new flights. Our total OOP is around $700 ($1350 for the new flights - $300 refund from SW - $300 from insurance).

If your flight gets cancelled you should get a refund from the airline. The bigger issue is how your insurance covers you if you can't make it to the ship because your flight was cancelled.

Flight cancellation/delay is covered by the insurance we get. I believe the delay has to be more than 4 hours.

I always purchase travel insurance outside of the cruise line. You can use the links above but you have to make sure the company you select is offering you primary coverage rather than secondary coverage where your health/homeowners pays first and then the travel insurance kicks in.

I usually use Travelex and they cover the dollar amount you are out......flights, non refundable payments, etc. for the covered reasons. Also, much better medical, trip interrupt, etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know:)

When looking at coverage make sure you look at the policy limits. On a recent cruise we were caught up in cancelled flights due to weather and had to rebook new flights at the airport to make it to cruise on time as the original carrier couldn't get us there until after the cruise left. Upshot was we paid $157/pp for the original flights (which Southwest refunded). The new flights were $651/pp. Because it was covered under travel day and my limit was $150/pp we're being reimbursed $300 toward the new flights. Our total OOP is around $700 ($1350 for the new flights - $300 refund from SW - $300 from insurance).

Did you get the refund from SW because they couldn't rebook to get you there on time or because you had insurance?

Did you get the refund from SW because they couldn't rebook to get you there on time or because you had insurance?

SW refunded because they cancelled the flight.

Travel insurance paid per the policy I purchased. Next time I'll make sure I pick a policy with higher limits.

Chase Sapphire Reserve card - insurance included as a card benefit

I had insurance included with my CC as well. However, in order to be reimbursed for the cancelled flight the "delay" would have had to have been at least 12 hours (it was 6 with the coverage I bought) and our "delay" ended up being about 9 hours. So again, I would encourage everyone to check your policy/coverage for both reimbursement amounts and time. If we'd had less than a 6 hour delay the travel insurance wouldn't have paid anything.