Roatan

sunnyduny

Have been reading lately about the above port not being to safe. We are stopping here with NCL GETAWY and was looking for some advice. Are we better taking a tour with the ship or going independent. There will be 8 of us. If there is any good independent tours that would come recommended from past cruisersclear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Have been reading lately about the above port not being to safe. We are stopping here with NCL GETAWY and was looking for some advice. Are we better taking a tour with the ship or going independent. There will be 8 of us. If there is any good independent tours that would come recommended from past cruisersclear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Not sure what news source you are reading, but overall the port and the island are reasonably safe. Lots of American and Canadian ex pats lived on the island, full or part time. For good independent excursion providers look at reviews here for Victor Sodden or Rony's Tours.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

I believe safety to be far more about who one is than where they are.. anyone can get into trouble if they fail to behave as a guest (one does not flaunt one's wealth, no dripping of jewelry, no flashing of cash,) in another's county. Roatan is an island off the coast of a third world country, the haves and the have-nots live in very close proximity, the have-nots can become very desperate indeed.

As Crewsweeper says, if one hires a reputable tour operator they should be fine no matter behavior. Trip Advisor has a list of things to do: HERE

By the by ~ I would be interested in links to the info about lack of safety.

Loved Little French Key. You can't book through the ship, they have guys waiting and directing you to their vans/taxis when you get off the ship. You can either reserve through their website or just go with them when you get off the ship, no reservations needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a frequent visitor to Roatan, I would highly recommend Cleves' Tours & Adventures. It will be the best tour you'll ever have on a cruise. He is from the island and knows everything there is to know about Roatan and Honduras. Not only will you get a great tour, but you'll also get a fantastic history lesson. We have used Cleve for touring and also when we need an airport pick-up, just an amazing family. Look him up on TA and read the reviews.

I believe safety to be far more about who one is than where they are.. anyone can get into trouble if they fail to behave as a guest (one does not flaunt one's wealth, no dripping of jewelry, no flashing of cash,) in another's county. Roatan is an island off the coast of a third world country, the haves and the have-nots live in very close proximity, the have-nots can become very desperate indeed.

As Crewsweeper says, if one hires a reputable tour operator they should be fine no matter behavior. Trip Advisor has a list of things to do: HERE

By the by ~ I would be interested in links to the info about lack of safety.

Hi have read this on SMARTER TRAVEL and th British Foreign Office site but we will still take our tour and enjoy a new destination we never been to before . thanksfor the advice:cool:

Not sure what news source you are reading, but overall the port and the island are reasonably safe. Lots of American and Canadian ex pats lived on the island, full or part time. For good independent excursion providers look at reviews here for Victor Sodden or Rony's Tours.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

Hi had a look at at Victor Bodden (think this is who you meant) and have booked a tour with him. thanks for the help:cool:

Hi had a look at at Victor Bodden (think this is who you meant) and have booked a tour with him. thanks for the help:cool:

You will not be disappointed. Our first of three trips to Roatan, we booked with VB's and had a great day there. We did the Zip N Dip for our first Ziplining experience then the afternoon at Bananarama.Best snorkeling I have seen yet. Looking forward to our return trip this February.:cool:

https://www.smartertravel.com/2016/07/21/10-worlds-dangerous-cruise-ports/

There are also some others say it is still tops for this year

Thank you so much. I pretty much agree with everything they have to say. Many would tell you the Honduran mainland is where Honduras gets the murder capital of the world title, that Roatan is different. I do not subscribe to that attitude, desperate people do desperate things, Roatan has some very desperate people. The haves and have-nots live in very close proximity, occasionally the have-nots snap.

Seems a bit like common sense to me, and bad things happen the world-over.

I have been to several fair dodgy places, I take complete responsibility for my safety, mostly cause there is so very little help when out and about on the planet.

One word my friend - Victor Bodden! :cool: We are booked with them for our cruise next year!!

https://www.smartertravel.com/2016/07/21/10-worlds-dangerous-cruise-ports/

There are also some others say it is still tops for this year

I have been to Roatan twice (2008 & 2016) and did not feel unsafe either time. As others have said, use common sense, don't flash jewelry, cash, electronics, etc., don't wander down alleys or side streets and you should be fine.

I do find it interesting how many people are not afraid to go out in their own city, but read an article about another location and assume it is extremely dangerous. Most US cities have many more murders than cruise ports do. The article mentions 40 murders of U S citizens over 6 years (2010 - date of article in 2016). My city, Nashville TN, had more than 40 murders in the first 6 months of this year, yet Nashville is one of the top cities on every Travel list this year. Don't be trying to buy drugs at 2:00 am and use common sense and it is a very safe city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums