Deaf employed on cruise ships?

laceydoxie

There are so many reasons he might have left his sick wife alone, one of which being they communicated with each other (as adults in healthy relationships do) and agreed that was the best course of action.

Where's the like button when you need one?

Hahaha, now YOU have a misspelling! 😁

Actually, no I don't. 'Une chaise longue' is the French name for that piece of furniture, and as the noun 'une chaise' is feminine, the adjective must agree. Therefore 'longue' the feminine form of 'long'. I could be even more pedantic and explain why it has a 'u' after the 'g', but I won't.:D

It has nothing to do with a lounge.

Actually, no I don't. 'Une chaise longue' is the French name for that piece of furniture, and as the noun 'une chaise' is feminine, the adjective must agree. Therefore 'longue' the feminine form of 'long'. I could be even more pedantic and explain why it has a 'u' after the 'g', but I won't.:D

It has nothing to do with a lounge.

:D I am quite sure this is an English language forum and the rest of your post is witten in English. The furniture piece being discussed here is a chaise lounge.

:D I am quite sure this is an English language forum and the rest of your post is witten in English. The furniture piece being discussed here is a chaise lounge.

If you google "chaise longue" and "chaise lounge", you will find the exact same items for sale at the exact same sites. The terms are interchangeable in English. (And the first word, chaise, is French anyway).

Here's an interesting article by Merriam-Webster:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIqeW55b7WAhXIslQKHdLUDRMQFgiJAjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.merriam-webster.com%2Fwords-at-play%2Fchaise-lounge-or-chaise-longue&usg=AFQjCNEn7WooO6MfSVFYOMJqsvwtQEEzew

I'm not good at English and my French is even worse, but doesn't this article miss that "to lounge" also means to relax, like one would do on a sofa, in English?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lounge#Etymology has "possibly from Frenchs'allonger(to lie down)" (Where allonger is literally "to make longer")

I guess the French describe the chair, while the English describe its intended use, but the words are very much the same.

If you google "chaise longue" and "chaise lounge", you will find the exact same items for sale at the exact same sites. The terms are interchangeable in English. (And the first word, chaise, is French anyway).

Here's an interesting article by Merriam-Webster:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIqeW55b7WAhXIslQKHdLUDRMQFgiJAjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.merriam-webster.com%2Fwords-at-play%2Fchaise-lounge-or-chaise-longue&usg=AFQjCNEn7WooO6MfSVFYOMJqsvwtQEEzew

I must admit I've never, ever heard of it being called a chaise lounge, it's always been a chaise longue. Is this an American usage? Not used over here at all, which is why I said I hadn't made a spelling mistake

(Nor is it in the OED!)

I must admit I've never, ever heard of it being called a chaise lounge, it's always been a chaise longue. Is this an American usage? Not used over here at all, which is why I said I hadn't made a spelling mistake

(Nor is it in the OED!)

As, in English (well, here in the US), the pronunciation is "shaz (long "a") l-ow-n-juh" the "lounge" configuration makes more sense.

The French pronunciation is "shaz long" I've never heard it pronounced that way.

As, in English (well, here in the US), the pronunciation is "shaz (long "a") l-ow-n-juh" the "lounge" configuration makes more sense.

The French pronunciation is "shaz long" I've never heard it pronounced that way.

Oh dear - I think this is developing into Britain and the US separated by a common language!!

As I said, I have always heard it pronounced in the French way and never in the US way. Maybe it's because we're closer to France and so therefore use the French pronunciation, as we do for 'carte blanche', 'entrepreneur', 'déjà vu' and countless others.:)

Oh dear - I think this is developing into Britain and the US separated by a common language!!

As I said, I have always heard it pronounced in the French way and never in the US way. Maybe it's because we're closer to France and so therefore use the French pronunciation, as we do for 'carte blanche', 'entrepreneur', 'déjà vu' and countless others.:)

So, given your proximity to France, how do you pronounce lieutenant? Lef-ten-ant?

No idea - it's not in my vocabulary! But I think maybe the US pronunciation loo tenant is closer to the original French than the English one

We seem to have drifted off topic quite a bit!!!

Curious - how DO you pronounce 'carte blanche', 'entrepreneur', 'déjà vu'

I've always said "cart blahnch" "on-truh-pre-new-er" and "day zha voo"

Curious - how DO you pronounce 'carte blanche', 'entrepreneur', 'déjà vu'

I've always said "cart blahnch"

about the same as you but with a nasal vowel in blanche

on-truh-pre-new-er"

on - (nasal vowel) truh pruh nuhr

and "day zha voo" more or less the same, but with the 'vu' sharper

When I first started learning French - back when dinosaurs roamed the earth - our French teacher told us that to properly pronounce the unfamiliar 'u' sound, we had to shape our mouths as if we were going to say 'oo' and keeping the mouth in that shape, say 'ee'

And I was curious about the differing pronunciations of lieutenant, so I Googled it.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, however I did discover that in the Royal Navy they use the non-f version, similar to the US pronunciation i.e. l'tenant.

But we're a long way off topic so I think it best if we stop before we get banned!!

Au revoir!:D

Typical American arrogance. Fact, the term chaise longue is used to refer to that particular piece of furniture by more than just the Brits and French. Only the Americans have corrupted it to chaise lounge. No doubt originating as a typo by some hapless magazine writer. If it makes you feel better, continue to use your version. But the other is not incorrect and your lecture was misplaced.

So, given your proximity to France, how do you pronounce lieutenant? Lef-ten-ant?

Yanks pronounce it loo ten ant.

Brits (and Canadians, and quite a few other English speaking countries) pronounce it lef ten ant.

Which sounds nothing like the French who pronounce it lyewt' nahn

None of these are wrong.

Typical American arrogance. Fact, the term chaise longue is used to refer to that particular piece of furniture by more than just the Brits and French. Only the Americans have corrupted it to chaise lounge. No doubt originating as a typo by some hapless magazine writer. If it makes you feel better, continue to use your version. But the other is not incorrect and your lecture was misplaced.

Oh thank you - I was beginning to feel like a voice in the wilderness!!

This is actually quite an interesting linguistic digression and nothing to do with the original query! Maybe we should start a new thread???:D