Can you hotspot with the wifi?

I figure this has been tried before. If you Purchase wifi, can you set your phone to hotspot another electronic? Or is the system set to ensure that nobody can hotspot?

Phones can be a hotspot when they are connected to cellular internet, not WiFi.

Perhaps not a phone.... but some repeaters can do the job.

I'm sure that Security may wonder exactly why you're bringing a wireless router/repeater on board.

As for the OP, I have to concur with clarea. Smartphones use a cell data signal to set up a WiFi hotspot. I know that if I attempt to use the "personal hotspot" feature on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) when I'm already connected to WiFi, it won't let me. I'm pretty sure they can't keep two separate WiFi connections active at the same time.

Longer answer: Yes, it's possible, but a pain to set up. Generally speaking, it involves rooting your phone's operating system and making some significant changes. If you're not sure what you can doing, you can brick your phone.

The "easiest" way is to use your phone to connect to the WiFi signal, and then "repeat" it using your phone's Bluetooth radio, but even this has its limitations (it's very slow, for example). Also, the receiving computer/device would not only have to have Bluetooth capacity, but also the software to "translate" the Bluetooth connection back into a datalink.

So, it is possible, but not really practical.

I thought I was smart but then I read this thread. I barely understood the info.

Luckily for me, RCCL offers an internet package where users can use multiple devises at one time.

Works for us!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Thank you. I never tried hot spotting over wifi. (Only cell/data) so this makes sense. The other info sounds good but it sounds too technical for my abilities. I wish there were better packages for wifi for families larger than four. We rely so much on texting and feel like this would be the easiest way to keep in touch with our tween/teens on board. Thanks.

Thank you. I never tried hot spotting over wifi. (Only cell/data) so this makes sense. The other info sounds good but it sounds too technical for my abilities. I wish there were better packages for wifi for families larger than four. We rely so much on texting and feel like this would be the easiest way to keep in touch with our tween/teens on board. Thanks.

If it's just texting that you want (and by texting, I mean SMS texting that operates over the cell phone link, and not the internet data link) then consult your cell phone provider. Many cell providers can provide a'la cart pricing as well as package deals.

For example: the "Cruise Ship" rates for Verizon Wireless is $0.50 per text sent, $.05 per text received (so, if you're texting a family member on ship, the total cost would be $0.55 per text). They also have a package deal which may or may not be worth your money. (Verizon source: https://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/ ) but your best bet is to contact your carrier directly and see what the rates are.

If it's just texting that you want (and by texting, I mean SMS texting that operates over the cell phone link, and not the internet data link) then consult your cell phone provider. Many cell providers can provide a'la cart pricing as well as package deals.

For example: the "Cruise Ship" rates for Verizon Wireless is $0.50 per text sent, $.05 per text received (so, if you're texting a family member on ship, the total cost would be $0.55 per text). They also have a package deal which may or may not be worth your money. (Verizon source: https://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/ ) but your best bet is to contact your carrier directly and see what the rates are.

Thanks. We are a family of iPhone users. I don't know if you can answer this. Can you turn off the "Instant Message" (IM) feature on iPhones so that you don't need to rely on the internet? I notice that when I have my cellular service turned off (only do this if I'm about to run out of data for the month), I can't send texts to those with iPhones b/c it's defaulting to IM, which uses data/internet. Can I switch all of our phones to SMS texting only? Then I can use the Verizon plan you gave (I am a Verizon customer obviously).

I can handle buying two internet accounts from RCCL, since we can handle only two people using data at a time, but we rely so heavily on texting each other, which gives my kids a little more freedom. I need to call Verizon and get some clarification too. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks. We are a family of iPhone users. I don't know if you can answer this. Can you turn off the "Instant Message" (IM) feature on iPhones so that you don't need to rely on the internet?

I do know it can be done, because I've seen a friend do it, but I don't know how. Sorry. We've got Android phones, so I'm not really up to speed on iPhone stuff.

I'm sure that Security may wonder exactly why you're bringing a wireless router/repeater on board.
To clarify.... not "repeater", but a "travel router".

• Travel routers were popular years ago when travellers would bring their phones and tablets to hotels that did not offer wifi, just ethernet connections.
  • Travel routers were able to sign onto a hotel wifi and allow multiple devices to connect to that wifi without additional charges. This is handy when the hotel charges wifi for EACH device.
  • Some Travel routers also had a repeater feature.... often wifi signals are strongest near the hallway, but weak near the window/desk. Travel routers allow you to boost that weak signal to devices with smaller antennas. Otherwise, you get best internet performance on your device while sitting in the toilet.
  • travel routers can be very small... mine looks like USB card reader and attract very little attention to security. https://dlcdnwebsites.asus.com/existone/websites/global/products/O7MOua9hMhFNXeUh/2ccard.jpg

As hotels allow for multiple devices to connect and hotels got better wifi coverage in rooms... the need for travel routers declined.

Rewind's earlier post (Netgear's Trek) is basically a travel router.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks. We are a family of iPhone users. I don't know if you can answer this. Can you turn off the "Instant Message" (IM) feature on iPhones so that you don't need to rely on the internet? I notice that when I have my cellular service turned off (only do this if I'm about to run out of data for the month), I can't send texts to those with iPhones b/c it's defaulting to IM, which uses data/internet. Can I switch all of our phones to SMS texting only? Then I can use the Verizon plan you gave (I am a Verizon customer obviously).

I can handle buying two internet accounts from RCCL, since we can handle only two people using data at a time, but we rely so heavily on texting each other, which gives my kids a little more freedom. I need to call Verizon and get some clarification too. Thanks for posting this.

I would call Verizon and ask specifically about texting on cruise ships. We have been able to text with no issues in the past but Verizon recently changed their cruise ship coverage to be GSM, not CDMA. Someone who recently got off a cruise said they could only text with data roaming on. Another said they had no coverage with their Verizon phone.

Both of these instances could be due to users not knowing how to set their settings correctly or they could be due to the transition that is going on with Verizon service. Who knows, but I am very curious to see what charges the user who turned on data roaming ends up with on their bill.

AT&T has a mobile hotspot app that should already be on your AT&T cell. This app allows you to set up a WiFi hotspot using a 4G LTE cellular data signal. It does not require you to 'root' your phone.

This is a very narrow use. Since you cannot set up a WiFi hotspot using WiFi. I would recommend you not use the Ship's Cell Tower because your cell phone company will charge you a lot of money unless you have a package.

What it will allow you to do is run your laptop off of your Cell Phone WiFi.

I know it has been said more than once, but it is worth repeating. RCI does not charge you for using their cell tower. You will be charged by your cell company. RCI will charge you for using their WiFi system.

Edited by steveru621

For your purpose the hot spotting over wifi wouldn´t work anyway. If you created a hot spot with your iPhone and you are let´s say in the Schooner Bar and your Kids are on the sports deck, your Wifi range wouldn´t be wide enough that your Kids could connect to your hot spot. If they would be Close enough to connect they could just talk to you;)

I set up my wireless hotspot using my laptop and an additional sub wifi adaptor. Using Connectify software you can share one wifi connection to multiple devices. Note that most pc laptops from the past year can even do this without a second wifi adaptor. You just need the Connectify software (pay for the licence, it's worth it, and you're saving on multi device plan). This is what I do when I'm travelling.

When I was working on ships, I had a wifi router in my cabin, connected by Ethernet cable to my cabin phone. All I had to do is log in on one device and I could use the Internet connection on all my devices.

I set up my wireless hotspot using my laptop and an additional sub wifi adaptor. Using Connectify software you can share one wifi connection to multiple devices. Note that most pc laptops from the past year can even do this without a second wifi adaptor. You just need the Connectify software (pay for the licence, it's worth it, and you're saving on multi device plan). This is what I do when I'm travelling.

When I was working on ships, I had a wifi router in my cabin, connected by Ethernet cable to my cabin phone. All I had to do is log in on one device and I could use the Internet connection on all my devices.

Wow!! You really know your stuff. I don't know if I'll *get* all of that though and have success. It may be easier for us to just use the wifi and other means (walkie talkies, planned meeting times..) but I will be speaking with Verizon as well. This may be another plan that works too.

On Quantum and Oasis class ships (and I assume eventually all of them once retrofitted), texting can be done over the ships' Wifi with RCI's IQ app. Sometimes this is free.

One thing lots of folks overlook - remembering to carry the phone around can be a pain.

Edited by Biker19

And this worked all over the ship from the Setup in your cabin???

No, it would only work within range of the single WiFi access point in the stateroom.

Exactly what I would think. With that I think this is not what the OP is looking for, as it would help her in no way with what she Needs.

She said she would need the hotspot for texting to Keep up with her Family members onboard the ship throughout the day and give the Kids some freedom to roam the ship on their own.

So a hotspot with limited range is no solution to her Problem.;)

Yes I was thinking of hotspottiing, knowing that my husband and I will be close in proximity. I thought I could use the wifi, hotspot over to him, and let the kids have the other woof, since they may be close to each other as well. It's not going to work, unless I try some of these more advanced suggestions, but I don't see myself knows how to actually carry those out.