What do you use to take pictures on your cruise and why

leedm

We have been cruising for 10 years. I do not have or want a high price camera with lots of lens. I have gone through a number of different types of cameras. I have found for me I need one that is a point and shoot, fits in my pocket, that can be used in the water, takes good pictures in low light, and has wifi ability to send pictures to face book easily would be great.

What do you use??

This is funny. Before our our last cruise, I went out to Best Buy and bought a pretty nice point and shoot. Maybe around $250.00. Didn't use it ONCE.:o

Last cruise, ONLY used the Iphone. Pictures come out great and I can post them immediately to social media.:')

And I always have my phone with me on the cruise. The camera is kind of a pain to carry around.

To each their own.........

Agreed. The camera on a Galaxy S7 or iPhone6 is now pretty darn good for snapshots. Too bad they can't optically zoom is all.

The fact they can then deliver the photos is a real bonus over digital cameras that typically require you to cable up or transfer a memory card to a PC.

Oh, and S7 is waterproof so you can take a nice snorkelling pic

Edited by johno1234
Added last line

I am a 'camera junkie'. I always have my Nikon DSLR with me (with interchangeable lenses, which you said you didn't want)

I also use a Canon PowerShot ELPH-360 HS Also has wifi on it ($209 on Amazon - http://amzn.to/2mqbdy3)

I also carry a Lumix DC Vario for underwater ($215 on Amazon - http://amzn.to/2nHpEOa)

I just got a GoPro that I will be using for our upcoming May trip. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet and I've had it a few months.

Then finally I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone. It takes great pictures and does underwater as well.

We've been on two cruises so far and I also didn't want to bring my Nikon D3000 with all the lenses and ton of crap to haul around so I used my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 5) which takes great pictures but I also bought a little Nikon coolpix that has like an 18~20x optical zoom that also takes fantastic pictures. I could actually control a lot of the settings on either of these cameras however I'm trying to relax on my vacation, not geek out on f-stops and shutter-speeds and whatnot. For the most part, the auto settings allowed me to take nice snapshots without worrying about "the shot".

Because I know myself - had I brought my good camera I would have spent the entire vacation trying to get in position for perfect artsy shots instead of just enjoying being on a cruise.

HOWEVER we have a partial transit Panama Canal cruise booked in April next year and I've pretty much convinced myself that I'll bring the good camera for the rain forest in Costa Rica and the canal. I think I might not ever get to go back there so I want to get some really good artsy shots. I think if I limit myself to just Limon and the canal I can relax for the rest of the trip and still have some good stuff to remember it by.

Fiji (and a few other brands like Canon) makes waterproof cameras that can be used while snorkeling, is small and light weight, and takes good landscape and portrait photos as well. Only drawback for me is the zoom is rather weak, being waterproof limits its power.

I currently use a Fuji XP point & shoot purchased at Sam's Club that is rated for underwater use in addition to my phone. I have had other underwater cameras0 3 Olympus Toughs, a Canon Powershot and a Panasonic Lumix. These cameras all eventually fail when the seals leak.

My Galaxy Note 4 is always with me, I use it more often than not for land based pics...I have a great little point and shoot Fuji XP water proof camera...around $119 bucks at Amazon. I don't want to lug around my Fuji Finepix for photos.

This is funny. Before our our last cruise, I went out to Best Buy and bought a pretty nice point and shoot. Maybe around $250.00. Didn't use it ONCE.:o

Last cruise, ONLY used the Iphone. Pictures come out great and I can post them immediately to social media.:')

And I always have my phone with me on the cruise. The camera is kind of a pain to carry around.

To each their own.........

We did the exact same thing. The iPhone 6 works fine. I do not want to carry a camera around my neck on the ship or land.

I mostly use my iPhone on Caribbean cruises, but I took my Nikon DSLR on our Med cruise last summer and used it for about half the photos I took. I used my phone for pics I wanted to post to social media.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends on the itinerary. For something like the Caribbean I'll just bring the Sony A6000 with 2 lenses. For Alaska, the full kit (2 bodies (Nikon D500, Nikon D7000), 4 lenses (Sigma Art 24-105, Sigma 12-18, Tamron 150-600, Nikon 300 F1.8). For the Med, one body and a wide angle and multipurpose lens and maybe the 6000. Canada/NE usually 2 bodies one with the multipurpose and one with a superwide for landscapes for quick swaps.

In addition I have just started carrying a Giroptix 360 and a small weatherproof pentax point and shoot as part of standard gear.

Nikon D610 with various lenses. I want the best quality pictures I can get. (and no, a cell phone pic is NOT in the same league as what I can get with my full frame D610). I also don't post every second of my life on social networks and have no need for the camera wifi stuff. After I get home I will post some of my better/favorite shots (I took almost 1000 during my med cruise last year and did some bracketing and pano stuff thus the high shot total. I'm not a "spary and pray shooter") for my friends and family to see. But I'm not a "snap a photo of my desert and post it on FB so everyone can see I'm not eating healthy right now" kind of person.