Snorkeling the GBR from Cairns

Bfb832cc

I have been reading reviews on snorkeling trips from Cairns, and am wondering if one is more likely to get sea sickness on smaller catamarans than larger ones. Going on a boat that seats 400 definitely does not interest us, but is there much difference on one that takes 30 people vs. 60, or is there not much difference between those two smaller options. My DH and I are not too prone to sea sickness, and will probably take something since it seems to be a common problem going out to the GBR, but I was wondering about ship size.

Any suggestions or first-hand experience welcomed.

Thank you.

We were at Cairns (as well as Airlie Beach and Port Douglas) on the Solstice in March. The ocean was flat with no rough water the days we were there, so cannot speak to the sea sickness. We took a small catamaran in Airlie Beach, but didn't go to the outer reef there, just to the Whitsundays. The other two ports, we had excursions on larger catamarans. Probably more of a concern would be booking a small catamaran trip out of Cairns. All three of these ports were tender ports, so trying to book a private trip and being able to get there on time might be problematic. The ships tour to the GBR from Cairns loaded directly from the ship. It was our best trip of the three. We were concerned about too many people and snorkeling from a platform, but it was well organized and the snorkeling was amazing.

Thank you salmn . We are actually doing this right before heading to Sydney to pick up the Solstice. About how many were on your tour? Was it a permanent platform for a specific company?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The best snorkelling up that way is actually from Port Douglas with Wavelength. http://www.wavelength.com.au/

We did this some years ago and it was marvellous. From what I've seen posted here, there are a number of other CC members who agree with me.

Port Douglas is a much nicer place to stay than Cairns, IMHO. It's only an hour or so by shuttle bus from Cairns airport, and there are shuttles running all day. We used to get the apartment hotel we stayed in regularly to book the shuttle for us.

The operator that we went with from the ship was Reef Magic.

If you are land based and not using a ship's excursion, I would agree that Port Douglas might be a better place.

Also, since you have choices, a smaller boat that does three snorkeling stops would be my choice, although the larger boat to the platform was a good experience.

We visited the Great Barrier Reef before a cruise out of Sydney and did a live aboard with Reef Encounter. If you are up for a few days on a boat, I can share with you that we had a fabulous experience. The snorkeling we did was fantastic, and we did a lot more snorkeling because we didn't have to head back in each night. We saw incredible wildlife.

Most of the passengers were divers, and so we just did our own thing with one of their guides. We did receive a complementary dive, but really thought the snorkeling by itself was great. Just an overall amazing experience.

We did have to stay the night in Cairns the night before and after due to our flight timing and the transfer out to the overnight boat.

If you have any interest let me know and I will come back and post the link to our Trip Advisor review.

Thanks, Gordo! That sounds like a wonderful trip, but we will just do a one day GBR trip because we'd like to catch a bit of the rainforest as well. Now I wish we were staying longer! Now looking at Port Douglas vs Cairns as a place to stay.

Thanks, Gordo! That sounds like a wonderful trip, but we will just do a one day GBR trip because we'd like to catch a bit of the rainforest as well. Now I wish we were staying longer! Now looking at Port Douglas vs Cairns as a place to stay.

I believe Reef Encounter offers day trips as well, if you choose to visit Cairns.

If you do, we hope that you get a chance to snorkel the outer reef. We had the opportunity to snorkel the closer reef on the way back to Cairns, and after our time on the outer reef we would share that the conditions of the inner reef were not as good.

Good luck with your planning.

Having vacationed in Australia multiple times and having lived there for a few years as well, we have been fortunate to visit Port Douglas 5 times. On each visit, we have usually snorkeled more than once, so we have been out with several companies--but we always make sure we snorkel with Wavelength once on each visit. All of the boats offer good tours to the GBR, but Wavelength is outstanding. It is a snorkel-only boat so you aren't jockeying for time and space with divers. They carry a maximum of 46 passengers and go to 3 different locations on the Outer Reef so you get personal attention and you get to see a wide variety of coral and sea life.

Going out with Wavelength is generally not an option on a port visit to either Cairns or PD because of timing, but since you will be in PD before your cruise, I definitely recommend you book them for your GBR trip.

Try this place in Port Douglas. We've stayed there several times. http://portdouglasmeridian.com/ Unit 2A is the best one, in the single storey building across the pool. The place is very central, one block from the main shopping street, and an easy walk to the beach and to the marina.

This company does great tours of the Daintree. https://www.tropicaltours.com.au/

Thanks to all of you!!!! As s result I think we will head up to Port Douglas, stay st Meridian, and based on your recommendation as well as TripAdvisor, use Wavelength for our GBR tour., and Tony for the rainforest. Thanks again!!

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you!!!! As s result I think we will head up to Port Douglas, stay st Meridian, and based on your recommendation as well as TripAdvisor, use Wavelength for our GBR tour., and Tony for the rainforest. Thanks again!!

Enjoy! There are some excellent restaurants in Port Douglas too. We've always loved 2 Fish, which is only a block away from the Meridian, modern Aussie seafood.

Also Sassi, Bucci, Salsa. Check the reviews for Nautilus - the setting is spectacular and it's quite a few years since we went there, however we didn't have a great experience at that time but it has probably changed since then.

Make sure you fit in some time for a walk along the main Port Douglas beach. It's so lovely.

The boats that carry a few hundred people and go out to reef platforms are very good for people who are not confident swimmers. Even on those I have often seen people who are very sick, commonly Asian people for some reason.

Palm Cove is also a lovely place to stay which is closer to Cairns.

• 2 months later...

[Gordo,

I would love any info you could give me about this liveaboard. I am booked with them 3/2018.

I'm having a hard time with hotels, because I don't know anything about the area.

Is there someplace you would recommend?

I am in the same predicament as you, needing to stay a day before and after the GBR due to flights to Sydney.

Did you check out of the hotel, or just book consecutive nights?

Any help is much appreciated!

[Gordo,

I would love any info you could give me about this liveaboard. I am booked with them 3/2018.

I'm having a hard time with hotels, because I don't know anything about the area.

Is there someplace you would recommend?

I am in the same predicament as you, needing to stay a day before and after the GBR due to flights to Sydney.

Did you check out of the hotel, or just book consecutive nights?

Any help is much appreciated!

Here is the review we posted on TripAdvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255069-d1193995-r122121431-Reef_Encounter-Cairns_Cairns_Region_Queensland.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

• 1 month later...

After reading all your comments I was sure that we would use Wavelength for our GBR trip. However, then I came to the horrible realization that we're 'older' now! Most of the group traveling with us will not be able to stay in the water snorkeling for any length of time. Sad but true...:loudcry:

So, back to reality and some questions... if you knew that you could not do the outer reef for physical limitations, do you think that Green Island would be a fun place? Is the snorkeling there 'acceptable'?

We'll be staying a few days after our cruise........ either in Cairns or Port Douglas. I want to snorkel the GBR and maybe spend a day at Daintree.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be great. THX Merrill

Green Island is NOT a good choice for a GBR trip. It's jam-packed with tourists and the coral is in such poor condition that you don't get that much sea life. I would not waste my time or money on a trip to Green Island.

If the members of your group have physical limitations, then I would recommend either: 1) a trip to the Low Isles from Port Douglas on either Sailaway or Wavedancer or 2) a trip to a fixed pontoon on the Outer Reef with Quicksilver (Port Douglas) or Reef Magic (Cairns). The Low Isles are not part of the Outer Reef, so you won't find the abundance or variety of coral and sealife that you will at the Outer Reef. But there is still a lot of good stuff to see there and you can snorkel off a beach as opposed to a boat in deep water. Those that do not want to snorkel all day can sit on the beach or explore the island or take a glass-bottom boat ride (both Sailaway and Wavedancer offer them). The boats that go to a fixed pontoon carry several hundred passengers, but the pontoons are large. At the pontoon, you can snorkel or see the Outer Reef without getting in the water via glass-bottom boat rides, semi-submersible rides and an underwater viewing area.

I would choose to stay in Port Dougas as opposed to Cairns. It's a smaller town with a nice, holiday ambiance. There is also a beach in town and while you can't swim off the beach from November to May due to the deadly stingers, it's still nice for walking. (Port Douglas also puts you closer to Daintree than Cairns and I like the Wildlife Habitat in PD.)

Is the issue not using Wavelength is the water is rough in the Outer Reef, or snorkeling off a boat as opposed to a pontoon? We were planning on using Wavelength, and are a bit "old" but can snorkel as long as the water is not rough. Should we rethink that plan?

Is the issue not using Wavelength is the water is rough in the Outer Reef, or snorkeling off a boat as opposed to a pontoon? We were planning on using Wavelength, and are a bit "old" but can snorkel as long as the water is not rough. Should we rethink that plan?

For us the issue is a bit of both.... if the water is rough, it would be difficult. And, for those who might tire easily, they probably would rather be sitting on a beach than on a boat.... sea-sickness.

For us the issue is a bit of both.... if the water is rough, it would be difficult. And, for those who might tire easily, they probably would rather be sitting on a beach than on a boat.... sea-sickness.

Gotcha! Thanks. I wonder how rough the water is where they stop?

We went with Wavelength last year and they were fabulous. You could stay in the water as long as you like. We went to three different sites and my husband didn't go in the water the third time. No pressure

We went with Wavelength last year and they were fabulous. You could stay in the water as long as you like. We went to three different sites and my husband didn't go in the water the third time. No pressure

Thank you! Did you find the water rough or ok to snorkel in? I hear the water can be pretty rough on the way out and back, but was not sure about the snorkeling sites.

Thank you! Did you find the water rough or ok to snorkel in? I hear the water can be pretty rough on the way out and back, but was not sure about the snorkeling sites.

We had a really calm day. The last site though did get a bit choppy towards the end but we were there for the giant Coral. The first site had the best fish and OMG I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's an absolute crap shoot on weather. It was an unforgettable experience.