Discovery 2 and the Thomson experience in general

Hi,

We have only been on one cruise before and that was with P&O on the Oriana to Norway.

We like the the look of a Thomson cruise itinerary in Eastern Europe on the Discovery 2 next year tagging on a short stay on Corfu.

How does the general cruise experience differ between the two companies? We are not snobs but wouldn't want a lot of rowdy people.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice

G. Girl

Hi,

We have only been on one cruise before and that was with P&O on the Oriana to Norway.

We like the the look of a Thomson cruise itinerary in Eastern Europe on the Discovery 2 next year tagging on a short stay on Corfu.

How does the general cruise experience differ between the two companies? We are not snobs but wouldn't want a lot of rowdy people.

G. Girl

We've cruised extensively with P&O but in the past year have cruised on TUI Discovery twice, once in the Med (with a stay in Majorca) and early this April in the Caribbean.

Our conclusion is that the overall cruise experience is better with Thomson.

The staff seem happier and are always friendly, we thought the food and entertainment was better, and the ship was cleaner. Most of all however we enjoyed some great times with our fellow passengers. There is a wide range of ages, and an excellent mix of people from all walks of life. It seemed better than P&O socially.

Don't believe what you may have read decrying Thomson cruisers, we witnessed nothing but good grace.

Interesting to hear.

I have just booked my first cruise with Thomson having cruised around 30 times with various lines and I have been wary of using this one. However the itinerary looks amazing, I am doing a b2b Pride of Panama and Cuban Fusion. The price is a steal even for a solo traveller.

Looking forward to it, I've never had a bad cruise but some have been better than others. I've cruised with Fred Olsen and don't think Thomson can be worse than that :eek:

Impossible to compare as everybody has different requirements. If you liked P and O you may be ok with Thomson. If you really enjoy the formality though of P and O then you will be disappointed with Thomson efforts at formality.

I have read the reviews grumbling about so called "rowdy AI people" on Thomson, ignore them as i ignored the same sort of reviews about the Ventura.

Also we enjoy Fred Olsen and Thomson and P and O.

We are on the same cruise as Deelightful, it's next January.

We have just come off the Dream that went to Eastern Med out of Corfu, fantastic cruise.

Sure you will enjoy .

• 3 months later...
Hi,

G. Girl

We were on Discovery 2 in May for 2 weeks - must say that, in our opinion, this ship has taken Thomson into a different league. Excellent restaurants, great crew, a great mix of appreciative passengers and attractive surroundings; we were in a basic inside cabin and had far more storage space than in a similar category on any other ship. We enjoyed it so much that we have booked another week on D2 for next month.

We've cruised extensively with P&O but in the past year have cruised on TUI Discovery twice, once in the Med (with a stay in Majorca) and early this April in the Caribbean.

Our conclusion is that the overall cruise experience is better with Thomson.

The staff seem happier and are always friendly, we thought the food and entertainment was better, and the ship was cleaner. Most of all however we enjoyed some great times with our fellow passengers. There is a wide range of ages, and an excellent mix of people from all walks of life. It seemed better than P&O socially.

Don't believe what you may have read decrying Thomson cruisers, we witnessed nothing but good grace.

I agree with you 100%, I have cruised a lot with P&O and last year went on a Thomson Cruise. It was one of the best I had been on. I'm not sure why, but generally the passengers and staff where just nicer. I'm sticking with Thomson now.