Sailing Solo On Breakaway...suggestions aside from LGBT Meet-Up?

HLR

I'll be sailing solo on the Breakaway on Oct 1st. The LGBT meet-ups seem to be scheduled at 8 pm...that is soooo in the middle of either dinner or getting to a show...

Any suggestions for those who have sailed with meeting up with other Gaysters on the Breakaway?

Yes...I posted a roll call on here...not a single response yet.

HLR

I would work your schedule such that you can attend the 8:00 group gathering on the first night or 2. IF there is any turnout, then you've made contact with others. But if not, I would not bother going every night. I've found the gatherings hit or miss on almost any ship I've been on. The Breakaway is a very large ship with many, many people on it. You will undoubtably see other gays on board -- in the bars, at the pool, at the shows, etc., mostly as couples. It may be up to you to go up to them and introduce yourself if you wish to make gay friends on the ship. But even on the larger ships, I've seen some very poorly attended gay gatherings. They are not everyone's cup of tea.

Well....it's a start...at least an "almost" active thread! I just came off the Celebrity Summit with Pied Piper and it was nice to have people you know you'd see at least at dinner and the LGBT meetings.

HLR

• 3 weeks later...
Well....it's a start...at least an "almost" active thread! I just came off the Celebrity Summit with Pied Piper and it was nice to have people you know you'd see at least at dinner and the LGBT meetings.

HLR

We were on the Breakaway a year ago. I second the "go the first night" tip above. When we were there, there was a large group of guys who all came onboard together, and there were also a few other small groups in the bar. Don't be shy about introducing yourself the first night.

I'll be sailing solo on the Breakaway on Oct 1st. The LGBT meet-ups seem to be scheduled at 8 pm...that is soooo in the middle of either dinner or getting to a show...

Any suggestions for those who have sailed with meeting up with other Gaysters on the Breakaway?

HLR

Hi HLR,

There are a fair number of gays on the Breakaway and the meet and greets are mostly at the martini bar, "Shakers". I found that the meet and greets vary. On my first cruise on the Breakaway I met a lot of gays from NYC and New Jersey. Very friendly and we had a lot of fun dancing and hanging out. I too will be on this boat and look forward to meeting you.

Happy 4th of July,

Len

• 1 month later...

HLR

I agree, the timing is not at all convenient. it means either an early or late dinner and juggling to get a show in around it.

I agree with everyone else...attend the first 1 or 2 get-togethers and size up the crowd. I also usually travel as a single since my partner passed away. 1 have put in roll calls and had normally just a few responses. but when I have been on board there are usually a few people sho show up. Last year on the Epic there ended up being 20 people who got together every night, spent time together throughout the cruise. One of the best groups, Last February there were only 5 people, yet I saw many more tribe members throughout the week(and that was on the Getaway)......

I usually went to the late show which was at 10ish. and ate around the times when the group met. Most time after the first or second night I ended up eating with someone from the group

• 3 months later...

I've been on the Breakaway on a couple of solo cruises. It absolutely does help if you go to at least one or two of the FOD meet/greets. One word of advice: Don't go and expect others to come to you and strike up conversation. I've noticed over many cruises that people feel awkward, or uncomfortable, or are just simply shy, so they hope someone else will take the initiative. On the Breakaway in particular, these meets are hosted at Shaker's, which wasn't very conducive to the purpose of the gathering. It's open, hence would hinder those that want discretion, plus there's no way to know who is who and whether they're at the bar for the meet/greet, or simply having a cocktail. I just suggestion you smile and say hello. There was one occasion it was switched to Bliss, which was awesome because there weren't any other activities going on, hence most everyone that came in was in the know.

My husband and I (and I do the same when solo as well) also take along our own beach towels to lounge by the pool. Mine is a simple rainbow flag towel while his is the bear pride blag. We don't wave them around; we simply put them on a lounger as we would any other towel. And BLAM! Folks know and those that are inclined stop by and say howdy. Made quite a few friends over the years with that tip.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been on the Breakaway on a couple of solo cruises. It absolutely does help if you go to at least one or two of the FOD meet/greets. One word of advice: Don't go and expect others to come to you and strike up conversation. I've noticed over many cruises that people feel awkward, or uncomfortable, or are just simply shy, so they hope someone else will take the initiative. On the Breakaway in particular, these meets are hosted at Shaker's, which wasn't very conducive to the purpose of the gathering. It's open, hence would hinder those that want discretion, plus there's no way to know who is who and whether they're at the bar for the meet/greet, or simply having a cocktail. I just suggestion you smile and say hello. There was one occasion it was switched to Bliss, which was awesome because there weren't any other activities going on, hence most everyone that came in was in the know.

My husband and I (and I do the same when solo as well) also take along our own beach towels to lounge by the pool. Mine is a simple rainbow flag towel while his is the bear pride blag. We don't wave them around; we simply put them on a lounger as we would any other towel. And BLAM! Folks know and those that are inclined stop by and say howdy. Made quite a few friends over the years with that tip.

Great advice Rick. My hubby and I had the same experience on the breakaway. We sailed twice and went to Shakers the first cruise. It is an odd and awkward time scheduled. On Carnival the LGBT meets at the Alchemy Bar are at 10pm and is a much better time.

On the pool deck, we noticed guys with pink flamingo towel holders and stuck up a conversation. Another time we saw a couple with Towels that had the Bear flag. I am pretty confident we can spot our own. So say hi when you notice something and don’t rely on the actual meets.

I would walk up to people and say HI when I spotted fellow tribe members. And I also realize just because we all happened to be gay that does not guarantee we will get along. So the comments from others about people not being friendly I understand. Some guys were not so friendly so I just moved on and said hi to other guys that were a better fit for us.

Have a great cruise - breakaway is a great ship.