Transportation from LGA to Park Hyatt in Manhattan

FredZiffle

We're flying into LaGuardia (Terminal B) on a Sunday around 11:30 AM and staying at the Park Hyatt near Central Park. From what I've read, we can take the Q70 bus from LaGuardia to the 74th St./Roosevelt Ave. station, then catch the R line to the 57th St./7th Ave. station. Our hotel should be just across the street.

Is this doable with luggage? We have no problem hauling luggage around unless we're looking at significant steps in the subway stations. I'm assuming that the subway won't be packed on a Sunday in October, but that may be a false assumption on my part.

Can someone familiar with NY shed some light? I'm also debating retracing our route when we return from the cruise. Just catch a taxi from the port back to the 57th St. station. That would be on a Thursday though, mid-morning. We've got plenty of time, but is traveling with luggage on the subway going to be an issue on a weekday?

At 74th street there will be stairs down to the R train and stairs up in Manhattan. A bit of a chore with luggage regardless of the day of the week. But the Thursday trip would have considerably more passengers. My suggestion would be a taxi into and out of Manhattan.

Even better than a taxi, which has a meter that can run up a substantial fare if you're caught in traffic, I'd suggest a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo, which will charge a fixed fare, particularly for your Thursday trip back to LGA.

Sunday and weekday morning (post AM rush hour) - it's perfectly fine to ride the subway with rollerboards from LGA via Q70-SBS (be sure to get the MetroCard AND to print out a paper receipt for the Q70 bus ride, as you will not be swiping the MetroCard & can board the bus using all stops - riders will be asked to show proof of fare payment (showing the time-stamped receipt ... Metro Card itself isn't sufficient) There are luggage racks/sections onboard the Q70 for use.

Broadway/Roosevelt - 74th Street station has multiple subway lines running to/from Manhattan, it is accessible friendly (or, you can take your suitcases down below ground - E train on the express track and F train on the local (weekend services might be all local) The R subway train - local service - will also take you to within a block of your hotel @ W. 57th Street. The 7th Ave/57th Street subway stations underground, however, aren't accessible friendly and has no elevator services, so you will need to use the stairs instead - most travelers are fine with it.

F subway line is 4 stops from Broadway/Roosevelt/74 St. to 57th Street & 6th Avenue in Manhattan - see this map/guide (you can also click for the R or E train services)

http://m.mta.info/mt/web.mta.info/nyct/service/fline.htm?un_jtt_v_station=yes

Assuming that you are cruising out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal, for your weekday AM disembarkation and return trip to LGA for a leisure flight connection, you might wish to take a short taxi ride down to the W. 34th Street/Hudson Yard subway station, it's one of the newest & deep underground station that open last year - the farthest point on the #7 subway line going out to Flushing/Queens - stopping at the elevated station at Broadway/Roosevelt-74th Street, where you can take the escalators and/or elevators down to street level, to connect to Q70-SBS.

49b537e634ce73d5daaed84d12fb05c1.jpg

a6e6b9bc676b253818783b68dbb4d024.jpg

75ca1a69f4711dac3634748ba170ac41.jpg

We're flying into LaGuardia (Terminal B) on a Sunday around 11:30 AM and staying at the Park Hyatt near Central Park. From what I've read, we can take the Q70 bus from LaGuardia to the 74th St./Roosevelt Ave. station, then catch the R line to the 57th St./7th Ave. station. Our hotel should be just across the street.

Can someone familiar with NY shed some light? I'm also debating retracing our route when we return from the cruise. Just catch a taxi from the port back to the 57th St. station. That would be on a Thursday though, mid-morning. We've got plenty of time, but is traveling with luggage on the subway going to be an issue on a weekday?

There is a huge signalling project going on in Queens affecting R service on the weekends. There is a good chance that it will still be going on in October, in which case the R will not be stopping at Roosevelt. Ave.

• 1 month later...

mking8288 , I've got a quick question for you. If I buy a value-based MetroCard that covers 4 trips (2 people from LGA to Broadway/Roosevelt via Q70, then F line to hotel / 2 people from W. 34th Street/Hudson Yard to Broadway/Roosevelt, then Q70 back to LGA) for $11, will the one paper receipt work for both bus trips? Common sense tells me no. Therefore, I would assume that I would need to load only enough to cover 2 trips initially, then refill the card for 2 more trips at Hudson Yard. But, will one paper receipt work for two people, or do we each need our own MetroCard and receipt? Even though the one card itself would work in the subway for two people, I don't know how the paper receipt works for bus entry.

... If I buy a value-based MetroCard that covers 4 trips (2 people from LGA to Broadway/Roosevelt via Q70, then F line to hotel / 2 people from W. 34th Street/Hudson Yard to Broadway/Roosevelt, then Q70 back to LGA) for $11, will the one paper receipt work for both bus trips? ... Even though the one card itself would work in the subway for two people, I don't know how the paper receipt works for bus entry.
If you are only planning 4 trips as above, just buy 1 single MetroCard and add enough values for use, $11 for 4 trip w. the transfers included plus $1 for a new MetroCard at the self-service kiosk at LGA.

Then, use the SBS ticketing machine with the MetroCard, insert it and press for 1 paper receipt, repeat again & press for 1 (more) paper receipt for the Q70 SBS. Follow signage to wait & board the bus, using all doors - no need to show the receipt, just don't lose it. Here's the official MTA info/link - http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/offBoard.htm

Depending on traffic, it's about 15 minutes from the terminals to 74th & Roosevelt, exit & find the subway entrance at street/ground level to enter the station - use the MetroCard, swipe for 1 entry, repeat for 2nd. rider and wipe for 2nd. entry. F (and E) subway line is underground (#7 subway line is elevated/above ground)

On your return trip to LGA via Hudson Yard (it's one of the newest & deepest underground subway station entrance in the system) - #7 subway line is the only train running, if there's express service - you can take that to the Woodside station/LIRR and go downstairs to street level to transfer to the Q70 SBS (first, stop at the SBS machine & insert the MetroCard to get 2 paper receipt first, before boarding). Local #7 subway train will stop at 74th & Roosevelt also, but not #7 Express - along with E & F lines.

3 sets of pix to help get oriented -

a./ MTA's MetroCard kiosk, some are credit/debit cards only, others take cash & credit, multi-lingual interactive prompt

7b7767f8a57b686fdd4c0edf8bce8107.jpg

b/ Woodside's elevated #7 station & LIRR station below street level & Q70-SBS bus services, 74th & Roosevelt's E/F, R & #7 subway lines & Q70-SBS, escalators & station concourse

ea534f91c04c193b480e1279fa804620.jpg

c/ SBS ticket machines at all SBS routes' stops, SBS buses are WiFi enabled & has USB charging port, subway train cars are luggage friendly at off-peak hours, 25" rollerboards easily done.

602e1b9030e6729c7f593cb656a99cb5.jpg

***** Traffic Alert ***** this week, U.N. General Assembly - annual, especially Monday thru Friday this week, affecting mostly Midtown East & U.N. area, expect gridlock conditions & extra security. Mass transit underground is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is my final question. I read that sometimes the line for taxis is pretty long coming off a cruise and that taxi drivers are reluctant to accept short trips like the one we plan to take to the 34th St/Hudson Yards station. If that is an issue, what if we walk down to the Circle Line Pier and catch the M42 bus over the Port Authority station and take the E line over to Jackson Heights? Is this doable with luggage? Can we print a receipt for the M42 and either print another for the Q70 or just use the same receipt?

FredZ, if you take the M42 or M12 bus, you would just swipe the Metro card, no printed receipts and get free subway transfer ... out to Queens. But, you would need to pay for a 2nd fare each & get a valid receipt only for the Q70-SBS bus to LQA's terminal.

Hudson Yard's #7 deep underground & new subway station entrance is accessible & luggage friendly, just check the MTA link to make sure there are no weekend schedule changes, track work or service suspension, etc. The E subway station entrance at W. 50th St. by 8th Ave is not as friendly or accessible for luggage ... but walkable from the Pier's street exit at W. 48 St & 12th Ave, almost like the same as walking to the M42 bus.

Taxi drivers, by law, cannot refuse short trips - get into the cab and then inform him/her on where, a nice tip is always helpful.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.