Nikon Guy's new high end body about to come out

framer

When is the camera coming out?

Any idea about price point?

Keith

Unknown - Rumor mill says late fall.

And

No - Same mill estimates about $1k more than the D810.

The development and release of this model and several others was delayed by the damage done to the sensor foundry by the Kumamoto earthquake. It's back up to 100% now, so we should see more next-generation cameras popping up along with the D850.

Dave

Edited by pierces

It's out, I want one... 4K full frame video @30fps, stack focusing up to 300 shots, I saw some images today taken @ 25000 ISO cleaner than my D810 @ 6400 ISO The new feature list is long check it out @ nikonusa.com

framer

The tech is tempting. The price is rich for me... but I could probably make it happen, especially if I just wait a bit.

But I'm going to pass because:

-My d750+ lens already starts to feel heavy at times. I don't want to add another half pound.

-I honestly have no use for 46mp, so the file size will just clog up my workflow. Yes, I can choose smaller file sizes but in that case..

- I'm hoping that fairly soon, Nikon sticks 95% of the d850 into a d760... except keep the sensor closer to 24mp... keep the weight down to under 800 grams (try to push it to 700). Some trade offs are acceptable of course.. I don't need an xqd slot. .7 vf is fine.

But give me the IQ improvements, the electronic shutter options, the AF upgrades... priced closer to $2000.

Then I'm in immediately.

Nikon designed the sensor for the D850, it not off the shelve bought from Sony. Yes they contracted out the manufacture but they control the tech.

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/24/nikon-designed-the-d850-sensor-themselves.aspx/

This sensor design could be just the start of things to come.

framer

This is normal for the Nikon/Sony relationship. Nikon's design team asks for a feature set, Sony makes it and in the past have agreed to let Nikon have exclusivity on new, co-developed tech for a period of time. I'm just excited that the tech Sony designs on it's own such as what appeared in the A9 is showing up in Sony cameras first instead of playing catch-up with Nikon's ideas. From interviews, I gather that the co-developed tech relationship is more cooperative than competitive these days and game-changing tech makes winners out of all of us. The intro of the D850 doesn't make me envious or fear for "my" brand's future. Rather, I'm very happy to see it is a real upgrade and not just sporting a few baby-steps (like some brands ;)).

I'm extremely happy with the size and performance of my current kit and while the new tech may be showing up next in a Sony APS-C camera, it won't make my A6x00 cameras perform worse than they do now and buying one won't make me a better photographer. That said, you can bet that the announcement of a shiny A6700 or A7000 would be a laser pointer to my inner cat.

Happy shooting!

Dave

-I honestly have no use for 46mp, so the file size will just clog up my workflow. Yes, I can choose smaller file sizes but in that case..

Yes, yes you do have a use for 46mp: you can avoid that next lens purchase, and you can avoid carrying one lens that you'd carry other wise. I can get some amazing stuff with a 16-35/4IS on my Canon 5DsR as my one and only lens, because I know I can crop it to the equivalent of about a 70mm or so, so now I have the versatility of a 16-70 with the convenience of one lens (which totally changes what I carry versus a two-lens or three-lens solution). Or, it means that you simply don't need that monster telephoto, as I shot a rugby tournament once with a 100-400 from the endzone. When the play was at the other end, I just kept shooting, and cropped later. No need to rent or buy a 600mm; even if you'd never rent or buy a 600, the same concept applies to whatever lens is next longer than what you have now.

Yes, yes you do have a use for 46mp: you can avoid that next lens purchase, and you can avoid carrying one lens that you'd carry other wise. I can get some amazing stuff with a 16-35/4IS on my Canon 5DsR as my one and only lens, because I know I can crop it to the equivalent of about a 70mm or so, so now I have the versatility of a 16-70 with the convenience of one lens (which totally changes what I carry versus a two-lens or three-lens solution). Or, it means that you simply don't need that monster telephoto, as I shot a rugby tournament once with a 100-400 from the endzone. When the play was at the other end, I just kept shooting, and cropped later. No need to rent or buy a 600mm; even if you'd never rent or buy a 600, the same concept applies to whatever lens is next longer than what you have now.

Personally, I've never run out of cropping room on my 24mp cameras. I've never need more "digital zoom" than I can already get out of 24mp.

Nowadays, I do 95% of my shooting with 4 lenses:

Irix 11mm --- Which with 24mp, already gives me enough cropping to go from 11mm to about 17mm.

I use my 18-35 -- with 24mp, already gives me enough cropping for 18-50mm or so. I don't shoot from 50-80mm very often, I don't care for the focal length.

My 85/1.8 -- This is my favorite lens and focal length for all my portrait work I don't crop it heavy, I like the focal length. Realistically, it comes me from 85-125mm.

Those 3 lenses cover about 80-90% of my shooting.

I don't go longer often. I no longer do much sports or wildlife. When I am in that situation, I do with my Nikon 300/4.... with telecoverters. Between teleconverters and cropping, I'm already covered from 300mm to 600+mm. And personally, I've never really had any need to go further.

So that's 95% of my shooting.

The other 5%.... 24-70/2.8 (I used to use it alot... but I prefer the 11 and 18-35 on the wide end, and prefer the 85/1.8 on the long end), 70-200/4 (end up rarely using it, I prefer my 85/1.8 on the wide end... and if I need telephoto, I'll usually skip right to the 300mm) and 105/2.8 macro. (solely used for macro.. it's already 1:1 maginification)

I can see the "digital zoom" of high resolution being helpful to some people, but it has no relevance to how I shoot.

Got offered a d850 for $3175... I... couldn't... resist.....

What a familiar feeling!

Sony has a year to drop a mind-bending APS-C camera or the A7r II (or III) is going to start radiating that come-hither vibe.

Need. Not really. But I have a year to muffle Inner Dave and overfeed the piggy bank.

Congrats on the new beastie!

Dave

What a familiar feeling!

Sony has a year to drop a mind-bending APS-C camera or the A7r II (or III) is going to start radiating that come-hither vibe.

Need. Not really. But I have a year to muffle Inner Dave and overfeed the piggy bank.

Congrats on the new beastie!

Dave

Thanks. I sold some of my Sony lenses to help fund the purchase.

I found I wasn't using my 16-70/4 or 24/1.8..

I'm a little worried that it will be too much - too heavy, files too big.

If I don't love it, the a7iii could really interest me.

I'm still firmly in the APS-C camp, since I do so much birding and wildlife - and losing 24MP on 800+mm of equivalent framing would hurt...even the 42MP Sony sensor cropped to APS-C framing yields less MP - something like 18 I think. My temptation to consider full-frame would come from a sensor that when cropped to match APS-C framing delivered 24MP...then I could not lose the pixel resolution I have now, but also gain the huge landscape resolution of the full frame sensor when not cropped. This Nikon is getting closer - up to nearly 20MP...so it's not out of the realm of possibility we may see a full frame sensor that delivers 24MP in APS-C crop mode. The question for me is: what will the top-spec APS-C camera be capable of at that point? That will dictate which direction my next camera goes!

Great to see such amazing camera tech and great flagship models and specialized models coming from different manufacturers...it's a good time to be a photographer.

I'm still firmly in the APS-C camp, since I do so much birding and wildlife - and losing 24MP on 800+mm of equivalent framing would hurt...even the 42MP Sony sensor cropped to APS-C framing yields less MP - something like 18 I think. My temptation to consider full-frame would come from a sensor that when cropped to match APS-C framing delivered 24MP...then I could not lose the pixel resolution I have now, but also gain the huge landscape resolution of the full frame sensor when not cropped. This Nikon is getting closer - up to nearly 20MP...so it's not out of the realm of possibility we may see a full frame sensor that delivers 24MP in APS-C crop mode. The question for me is: what will the top-spec APS-C camera be capable of at that point? That will dictate which direction my next camera goes!

Great to see such amazing camera tech and great flagship models and specialized models coming from different manufacturers...it's a good time to be a photographer.

Hence my year of hiatus from serious contemplation of a new camera. My affection for the compactness of Sony APS-C bodies makes me root for a quantum leap in sensor and processor design. I feel that the recent outpouring of groundbreaking tech is just the beginning and waiting a year to decide isn't really that hard since I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

On the subject of this thread: Do I think Havoc is nuts for jumping feet-first into the D850? Yes. Yes I do. But it's a good crazy...the kind that you just embrace and go with! :)

Happy shooting!

Dave

On the subject of this thread: Do I think Havoc is nuts for jumping feet-first into the D850? Yes. Yes I do. But it's a good crazy...the kind that you just embrace and go with!

I'm behind it all the way! Go Havoc. For once, I'm not the crazy person buying the newest most expensive gear - glad to see someone else diving right in (after having just purchased the FE100-400mm and 1.4xTC, I'm letting my bank account cool off a little - it was starting to smoke!).

I'm behind it all the way! Go Havoc. For once, I'm not the crazy person buying the newest most expensive gear - glad to see someone else diving right in (after having just purchased the FE100-400mm and 1.4xTC, I'm letting my bank account cool off a little - it was starting to smoke!).

lol, thanks. I do enjoy being an early adopter.......

But I was totally prepared to pass on the D850. When the rumors swirled, the camera sounded very tempting. Rumors were it would be $4000..... I had no problem passing at that price. But I said, if it's $3300... I'd be tempted.

Then it was announced... at $3300..... Ugh.... very very tempted. I was right on the edge. Still 3 drawbacks that concerned me beyond price -- is it too heavy, are the filed too big... and it's still not mirrorless. (I'm not a mirrorless fanboy obviously, but I see some real advantages to it). So... I was heavily leaning on passing. Then Nikon announced that if you hadn't already pre-ordered, you probably won't get a camera for months. So I was feeling pretty good, that I had resisted.. the moment passed.

Then I got an email.... I could get the D850 for $3175... and while not absolutely guaranteed, it would probably be in the first batch. (They still need to see how many cameras Nikon actually gives them).

Ok.. the price is still rich.... but now I was soooo tempted. And I can sell some Sony lenses I don't really use.. for about $1300. (That was through KEH.. I could have gone through ebay and likely made more like $1600-$1800.... but I don't have time for the hassle). I can sell my D750, after the D850 arrives, for $600-$1200 (anybody want to buy a D750?).... I'm going to make $1,000 (before taxes) teaching photography in September/October... So add it all up, it really isn't a big bite out of my wallet.

I'm still a bit fearful that I'll regret it. But I'm looking forward to testing it out.

I'm still a bit fearful that I'll regret it. But I'm looking forward to testing it out.

The only 100% way to avoid regretting something you do is to do nothing! Then you'd probably regret not doing anything. I think your choice to order the darned thing and take a chance on regret shows the kind of initiative that got us to the Moon! Ok, that's a little much. Maybe the kind of initiative that started the rise of Craft Brewing to an art form. Hmmmm....Still a bit grandiose. Well, for sure it made all of us a little jealous!

Don't forget to post test photos. You have a cat and a bookcase, right? :)

Dave