How full are recent voyage?

meow!

One doesn't know. My cruise starting in June, had about 650 on it, so near full. We learned onboard, that the cruise hadn't sold well, and Oceania went to cruisers on both ends of our cruise and offered incredible deals to them to do b2b. Incredible as in half price fares and PPG , if they didn't already have it , plus OLife. Got lots of takers. No such discounts were ever revealed on the web site.

Cruised recently on Marina. It was not full. There were many empty cabins. It was quite obvious when we were given access to our cabin. The luggage was in front of each door. As you went further forward, there were no bags. Never saw a cabin steward in that forward section. Also, the Grand Dining Room was almost empty during dinner. There was never a line to enter. Regardless of when we chose to eat, not many full tables. Specialty restaurants also had empty tables. We had no problem getting extra reservations in the specialty restaurants. There could be many reasons why one cruise fills up and another doesn't sell. It was a great cruise.

One doesn't know. My cruise starting in June, had about 650 on it, so near full. We learned onboard, that the cruise hadn't sold well, and Oceania went to cruisers on both ends of our cruise and offered incredible deals to them to do b2b. Incredible as in half price fares and PPG , if they didn't already have it , plus OLife. Got lots of takers. No such discounts were ever revealed on the web site.

Very interesting and helpful to know. Thank you.

Cruised recently on Marina. It was not full. There were many empty cabins. It was quite obvious when we were given access to our cabin. The luggage was in front of each door. As you went further forward, there were no bags. Never saw a cabin steward in that forward section. Also, the Grand Dining Room was almost empty during dinner. There was never a line to enter. Regardless of when we chose to eat, not many full tables. Specialty restaurants also had empty tables. We had no problem getting extra reservations in the specialty restaurants. There could be many reasons why one cruise fills up and another doesn't sell. It was a great cruise.

it sounds like the effect of over building is becoming apparent. Not just Oceania, several cruise lines have over capacity lately. Oceania is lucky in not having built new ships for years.

I was looking at a Nautical cruise in February 2018 that had all the cabin categories available. But more worrying, there was only 1 person on the roll call and they cancelled the cruise. ??? What was the problem?

Mia

Perhaps someone chartered the ship or it was due for dry dock refurbishment?

I was looking at a Nautical cruise in February 2018 that had all the cabin categories available. But more worrying, there was only 1 person on the roll call and they cancelled the cruise. ??? What was the problem?

Mia

Not everyone is on CC or join the roll calls

Some roll calls are a lot quieter than others

Life goes on

FDR has built a cruise line, based upon brand loyalty and appealing to a senior wealthy clientele. My last cruise had 82% past O cruisers, the cruise before that was 76% past O cruisers.

Problem is that clientele is getting progressively older and he's no attracting new younger cruisers. Many of the first timers on that June cruise voiced a strong dislike and disappointment in many of the bland dishes that were served. Dishes that according to the chef and "had been made more agreeable to a wider spectrum of passengers ". Bland. Many comments about how " this is not the best food on the ocean!" came from those first timers.

That long ride of counting on past loyal cruisers, many of them now in or near their 80s, may be running out of steam. Making dishes blander to appease those with minimum taste buds is not path to drawing in a new younger generation of cruisers. When people in their 60s start wondering if they are to young for Oceania, something has to change.

FDR has built a cruise line, based upon brand loyalty and appealing to a senior wealthy clientele. My last cruise had 82% past O cruisers, the cruise before that was 76% past O cruisers.

Problem is that clientele is getting progressively older and he's no attracting new younger cruisers. Many of the first timers on that June cruise voiced a strong dislike and disappointment in many of the bland dishes that were served. Dishes that according to the chef and "had been made more agreeable to a wider spectrum of passengers ". Bland. Many comments about how " this is not the best food on the ocean!" came from those first timers.

That long ride of counting on past loyal cruisers, many of them now in or near their 80s, may be running out of steam. Making dishes blander to appease those with minimum taste buds is not path to drawing in a new younger generation of cruisers. When people in their 60s start wondering if they are to young for Oceania, something has to change.

Well, we are taking our first Oceania cruise this coming November and we are in our early 60s. We are "foodies", so we will tell it like it is! I sure hope that Oceania hasn't toned down the food. From what we have read from you folks, we are expecting the food to be above average of other cruise ships.

We have been on recent Princess and Celebrity cruises.

We're on the 28th Oct sailing on Marina, and it's looking like a very very light load at the moment. Will be interesting to see what happens, as we are in a GTY OC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Greetings from South Beach, ToxM. It is not surprising to me that fewer people are sailing. At present fewer people are doing everything. The media is blasting assorted horrors of all kinds 24/7. Prophets of doom are all the rage. In this climate, some folks elect to keep low profiles. Now, in our experience, post disaster can be the best time to travel. For example, we arrived in Madrid days after a ghastly attack at the Madrid airport that more or less killed tourism then. We could have cancelled that trip, but we didn't. Instead, we had a great time. No crowds anywhere. Travel workers were delighted to see us.

Mary

You cannot judge the cruises & how they are selling by looking at the website

There are w/l & GTY bookings to be cleared before sailing

then they will offer the cruises to people sailing on either side of that particular cruise

If you are waiting for the price to drop ...good luck

Well, we are taking our first Oceania cruise this coming November and we are in our early 60s. We are "foodies", so we will tell it like it is! I sure hope that Oceania hasn't toned down the food. From what we have read from you folks, we are expecting the food to be above average of other cruise ships.

We have been on recent Princess and Celebrity cruises.

IMO

Tone down your expectations & you probably will not be disappointed

The food was better than we have had on HAL & Princess maybe not as many offerings but quality food

Enjoy Oceania for what it is & try not compare to other lines (hard to do I know )

JMO as always

ToxM;

We'll be on that 10/28 Marina cruise with you. Hope to meet you and exchange notes then. Perhaps over an adult beverage.

Sounds like a very good idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We are on Marina departing Civitavecchia on November 7th and Riviera departing Monte Carlo on 10 May 2018. Both cruises are VERY undersold.

Likewise, our Roll Calls are still very small. Only 7 members on the May 2018 cruise and that's been the case for some months.

(A friend just called Oceania about booking the two legs were are doing on Riviera and was told there were no concierge cabins left -- since she's sailing along the price difference between an A and a PH is rather significant! When I went to the website I saw there are PLENTY of concierge rooms available. Now, it could be that she wouldn't have been able to have the same cabin for both legs ... as of now she's in a PH but I think she'd rather do the A since she's alone.)

We were on Nautica last June and Sirena in October and didn't notice a diminishment of food desirability ... and we happen to like spicy food. I certainly cook myself with lots of herbs and spices, and what we had was mostly the same level we've always enjoyed.

Maybe we were lucky? Maybe we weren't expecting too much?

It probably doesn't help when we all tout how great the food is ... not everyone will find it great! They can't please everyone. I dearly hope they aren't toning down the food (as in making it all bland) to satisfy those who want it bland.

Come to think of it, if we are so many seniors on the ships these days, don't our taste buds lose effect as we age? So wouldn't it be more logical that we should want MORE flavor?

Okay, forget I asked ...

Mura

Mura I think you have it

Some people's taste buds change as we age

People that have medications can have an alter sense of taste also big drinkers & smokers have less sensitive taste buds so need more spice in their food

My SIL is a big drinker/smoker when she cooks it is very spicy & we like flavour but we also like to taste the food not just the spice ;)

I am sure if you ask when ordering for more spice on the items the cooks will accommodate you or try to spice it up

You can always add spice but cannot remove it from a dish

JMO

Lyn

Life goes on

I'm lurking on three roll calls but haven't joined. I think O Life has hurt private tour activity. I also have less interest when we've been to the ports before as we will DIY.

I think Oceania sales are reasonably healthy but Europe and non Cuba Caribbean sailings seem weaker.

Our cruise next May has been waitlisted for months, our trip next month is nearly sold out, just a few A cabins left. I see healthy sales for the third one 14 months out, it is Cuba. No price drops for us on any of the three.

Life goes on

I"m on the December 8th Cuba cruise which sold out in just a few days and has a massive wait list. The roll call? You could hear a pin drop it is so quiet.