Parking options near Manhattan Cruise Terminal

kschneeb

Hi-

We are sailing from Manhattan in November. We are considering parking at the port but would love to pay less than the $40/day charge for our seven nights away. One option we are considering is the nearby Park Right garage, which drives you to the port in your own car, but the reviews seem mixed and some people report that they charge a significant extra fee for oversized cars, with a very broad definition of what is "oversized", effectively erasing any savings. Would appreciate any info on this lot or other suggestions for affordable parking.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi-

We are sailing from Manhattan in November. We are considering parking at the port but would love to pay less than the $40/day charge for our seven nights away. One option we are considering is the nearby Park Right garage, which drives you to the port in your own car, but the reviews seem mixed and some people report that they charge a significant extra fee for oversized cars, with a very broad definition of what is "oversized", effectively erasing any savings. Would appreciate any info on this lot or other suggestions for affordable parking.

We park at the cruise terminal because we think the convenience is worth spending a few extra dollars, but since you're coming from Central NJ you might consider parking in Weehawken, NJ at the NY Waterway Port Imperial ferry terminal and taking the ferry to West 39th St., which is about a 1/2 mile from the cruise terminal...very walkable or just a short taxi ride. Parking was $16 per day last I checked and the ferry is $9 per person in each direction.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx

Hi-

Hi, We come from Western Massachusetts. We have taken Peter Pan buses to Penn Station. Short taxi ride to cruise. Parked at terminal.. Used the charter bus through NCL. Been dropped off by family who then spent the day in NY.

I cannot give input on other parking but suggesting some other options for you. In November, our son and 11year old granddaughter will drop us off and then spend the day in NYC to see the Christmas decorations. When we return, we will taxi to Penn Station and take the bus home.

Not use if this helped but enjoy your cruise.

Hi, We come from Western Massachusetts. We have taken Peter Pan buses to Penn Station. Short taxi ride to cruise. Parked at terminal.. Used the charter bus through NCL. Been dropped off by family who then spent the day in NY.

I cannot give input on other parking but suggesting some other options for you. In November, our son and 11year old granddaughter will drop us off and then spend the day in NYC to see the Christmas decorations. When we return, we will taxi to Penn Station and take the bus home.

Not use if this helped but enjoy your cruise.

The OP is from NJ. Options like NCL charter buses and Peter Pan buses are of no use to them.

The OP is from NJ. Options like NCL charter buses and Peter Pan buses are of no use to them.

I am not familiar with the area OP is from but I know of at least 3 Peter Pan terminals in New Jersey. The point of my post was to help them think outside the box looking for alternative ways to the pier.

They drive you to port and then what? You don't even know if your car is safe your entire cruise! I guess if you're ok with that to save a few bucks go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I was not clear enough...they drive either their car or yours and pick you up at the end of the cruise.

I am not familiar with the area OP is from but I know of at least 3 Peter Pan terminals in New Jersey. The point of my post was to help them think outside the box looking for alternative ways to the pier.

But why not try to make your advice have some actual value by doing a bit of research before posting? The Peter Pan bus stops in NJ are nowhere near where the OP lives. Making uneducated guesses isn't the same as "thinking outside the box".

They drive you to port and then what? You don't even know if your car is safe your entire cruise! I guess if you're ok with that to save a few bucks go for it.

It's more than a few bucks...it's about double to park at the cruise terminal.

I understand. You'd want a stranger driving your car through the streets of Manhattan. Ok

Did you have anything useful to contribute or just criticism? Thanks.

Consider the cost of your cruise and the difference between parking "somewhere" and then getting to/from the cruise terminal, or for a few dollars more, the ease and convenience of parking at the terminal is well worth it.

It's more than a few bucks...it's about double to park at the cruise terminal.

Did you have anything useful to contribute or just criticism? Thanks.

Park at the port. Period. Figure in the cost of parking into your budget. It was not meant as criticism even though I realize my direct NY manner may seem that way. You want your car safe and in the same condition you left it. Also, if your vehicle is in an accident the owner of the vehicle is responsible for costs. Either way it would be a mess trying to untangle the legal stuff. Read the reviews all the ones I read are awful.

Park at the pier, in a locked and guarded lot. Cruise is over walk to your car and drive home.

If you want to save a few dollars research lots where you park your car and nobody drives your vehicle. You won't have the convenience of simply walking a few steps to and from the ship

The other issue is it really depends on what you are driving. Many SUVs incur a "oversize" charge of anywhere between 10 to 20 dollars. That almost negates the savings alone and you now have to either take a cab or walk to the garage with your luggage. All in all not sure if it is really worth it.

I have no beef with this - being local, we either get someone from extended family not cruising to drop us off - with a "bribe" or take either our local car service or Carmel to/from the pier.

Park Right is now charging $28 per 24 hours - they will drive you to the pier for dropoff, that's another extra 15 to 30 minutes for that few blocks, where traffic sometimes can be madly gridlocked on busy port days. SUV/minivan & oversized charge used to be $5 extra per day, nowadays - $10 to $15 is normal.

When disembarking & needing a pickup, that deluxe service is now another $30 add-on fee :rolleyes: - for the white glove driver to bring the car over to the terminal, while you wait. Another 15+ minutes. Isn't a "nominal" tipping also expected ... ding, ding (add all those up too $$$) What savings - must be my own bad math skills ;p

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

We are leaving out of Manhattan in April.  I see that the port parking says no reservations first come first serve.  Does anyone know how quickly this fills up?  I’m just wondering if the odds are good on getting a space or not.  Thanks for any input!

1 minute ago, Nmcleonard said:

We are leaving out of Manhattan in April.  I see that the port parking says no reservations first come first serve.  Does anyone know how quickly this fills up?  I’m just wondering if the odds are good on getting a space or not.  Thanks for any input!

99.99999% of getting a spot.