Stay near LGA or Manhattan cruise port night before

ColoradoKaren

I've read many posts on the boards regarding hotels in New York City but have a specific question for anyone that can help.

I'm flying into LGA on a Friday (11/10/2017) and my flight arrives at 4 PM. I'm leaving on a Disney cruise Saturday morning from Manhattan cruise terminal.

I don't plan on doing anything Friday night other than grabbing some dinner so just looking for a decent hotel.

My question is whether I'm better off staying at a hotel near the airport to avoid Friday afternoon rush hour traffic or is it worth it to take a taxi and stay near the cruise terminal. I'm leaning towards staying near the airport because I don't like traffic/crowds/stress.

I appreciate any input. And also any suggestions for hotels near LGA would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I would stay in Manhattan.

You'll be closer to the cruise port, and have a choice of many restaurants.

You'll be going against traffic getting into the city.

Once in the city you'll have traffic but this way you can sleep in a little bit in the morning, have breakfast and then make your way over to the cruise ship terminal.

Keith

As Queens native for decades, I offer my views ... slightly different, as we used to do Lower Manhattan daily commuting in extended rush hour traffic:

This morning (Saturday) - car service ride from LGA area hotel to MCT would be 30 minutes via RFK Bridge into Manhattan direct to the pier. Most of LGA airport hotels offer free shuttle pickup via the designated pickup route at a satellite lot. Saved a little money on a second taxi, car service or Uber/Lyft ride - unless walking from Manhattan hotel to the pier, as not everyone cared to do it in early November.

Any choice/preference or affinity with hotel programs - or, just a clean & safe hotel with a comfortable bed/pillow - budget or price ranges, # of travelers, etc. ? Question on dinner & preference - simple comfort food or even hot soup, pizza & sandwich or local dinner/Chinese takeout delivery, on-site hotel cafe ??

LGA airport moving ahead with next phrase of major reconstruction - depending on airline (flying in from DEN ??) ... (old) Central Terminal or T-B serving AA, UA, Southwest, B6 & others (vs. DL in T-C and T-B) has a good food court, upstairs on departure, pre-security ... option to pickup dinner to go, check-into nearby hotel, kick off the shoes, sit-back & relax, watch TV & just rest (since crowds/traffic/stress were cited by OP).

A quick glance, I see a few hotels in area with decent prices, under $200 including taxes - some would be on my recommended list, most aren't and some to avoid ... for different reasons. Yes on LGA Marriott, across the parkway with on-site dining. One of the Hamptons re-branded has hot breakfast & 99% sure it has microwave in lobby for guest use.

Traffic in NYC is like any major metro area, is everywhere and not just outbound "away" from Manhattan. Friday PM rush hour starts at 2 or 3 PM and for airport arrivals/departure ... (will be dark with DST in effect, no sun glare for driving) but will be joining tons of traffic heading into Manhattan on all 3 East River crossings. I do NOT recommend taking taxi due to metered fare rules, gridlock traffic & delays can add another $15 or $20 to fares for idling - on top of $35 to $50 + tolls. Book & use car service like Carmel or Dial 7 - but, there will be a PM & rush hour surcharge (ditto for Uber) ... Trip time to midtown hotel, anywhere from 1 hour to 90 minutes, going across town is the worst, trust me. No such worries for a Saturday morning ... plus, NYC's Marathon runners & spectators (bingo, that explained the higher hotel rates all over town) would be long gone from the weekend before, whew !!

Hotels in midtown Manhattan (don't need to be staying near the cruise terminal ... unless planning to walk, as it's still another taxi ride, $10 to $20 depending on distance) are plentiful - Hotwire & other booking engine including PL can find deals, sometimes ... last minute (book a refundable one now, wait & keep checking, cancel with deal or stay if no deal, etc. or keep it simle & stick with it.) Meals & dinner in Times Square, inside the hotel or nearby are pricer as overheads & rent are higher. Advantage is variety & options, again ... a matter of personal preference and choice.

OP, what would you like to do - not what I would prefer.

I have a Princess going out of New York and booked the transfer from the airport to the ship so I was going to look for closer lodging that has free transportation to and from the airport. Just me. I have sailed out of New York several times and this is the first time I am not staying closer to the port.

I have a Princess going out of New York and booked the transfer from the airport to the ship so I was going to look for closer lodging that has free transportation to and from the airport. Just me ...
Princess sailing out of - return to Red Hook, Brooklyn - dates ? Flying into LGA ? Been to NY, done the tourist thing but a little different this time - prices/preference & ideas for meal, arrival time, etc. ? Please read some of my comments/thoughts above, thanks.

OP here. Thank you for all your quick responses. To answer Mking8288's questions. I typically stay at Marriott or Hyatt brand hotels. I'll be traveling solo on my travel day and meeting family the next day at the cruise terminal. For dinner I'd prefer to eat dinner at the hotel - no interest in going out to eat. Also no interest in seeing Times Square or any other sites (done that before and no need to do it again).

Pricewise, I'd like to stay under $300. Free Breakfast would be nice, but not critical. I like your idea of grabbing something to eat at the airport and taking it back to the hotel.

If I stay near LGA I was thinking of the Mariott. It has a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel - via the shuttle stop I know I need to take a bus to. And a restaurant in the hotel, another plus.

Thanks again!!

... I typically stay at Marriott or Hyatt brand hotels. I'll be traveling solo on my travel day and meeting family the next day at the cruise terminal. For dinner I'd prefer to eat dinner at the hotel - no interest in going out to eat ... like to stay under $300. Free Breakfast would be nice, but not critical ... If I stay near LGA I was thinking of the Mariott ...
Airport Marriott has been there for decades, last time there was for a Rotary Club banquet - it is almost walkable, across a walkway and closer to the Delta terminals, overlooking the parkway on a small hill & views of the airport (lots of construction activities, LOL. From your description, a good match, on-site hotel dining prices or as I noted, pickup dinner from the terminal. As you exit the checkpoint (if Terminal B) - going downstairs for luggage carousal & ground transportation, walk straight ahead to departure & airline counters, food court options to your right, very easy & short walk. I see quoted prices around $185 + taxes on a booking site, with club status - free upgrade & WiFi, etc. Hamptons Inn at LGA is also fine & they usually have hot breakfast included. There are several newer ones in that general area, but aren't as close - all with free airport shuttle but on-site dining are limited to none, check address on Google Map to be sure, some are really quite a distance away.

Downtown Flushing is about 3.5 miles east of LGA, 10 to 15 minutes away by free hotel shuttle has 2 or 3 hotels among the dozen plus for consideration ... but, it will put you in the middle of NY's Chinatown / Koreantown. Next day, very easy to call for car service to the pier, fares are almost the same. Lookup Hyatt Place on 39th Avenue, Flushing, NY - it is now considered one of the best, if not the best in this area - very nice roof-top bar overlooking the NY-Manhattan skyline, with both in-house dining & cafe; and, the connected Fulton Square retail-dining complex ... upscale Japanese, Thai, Malay, Vietnamese & Chinese options at lower than midtown prices. Saw it priced around $235 + taxes/fees and bumped down from the competition to 2nd. place is the Sheraton LaGuardia, 1 block closer to Main Street & priced about the same. There's a Ramada Limited 2 blocks away also ... just avoid the Best Western, Quality & Comfort Inns, Red Roof, etc. in the immediate area, let's just say housekeeping is a major issue for this cluster (TripAdvisor reviews have some insights & comments ...)

For the benefit of the other poster who asked, I will mention the Marco a few blocks away, on Northern Blvd. - another CC booked a stay recently at a very good price, waiting for his/her post-stay review & feedback ... said to be very nice (same for the "One Boutique Hotel" on the next block by Union Street) but priced higher like the Hyatt.

Pix of the Hyatt Place in Flushing with 3 lower floors of retail/dining, 2nd. pix at a different angle, showing also the Best Western across the street (not recommended).

e0e02155bc2d5300da8c20d8b810382a.jpg

bea81661f1cc96698ea62990d51b7978.jpg

MKING8288. I did read you post and made a note for the Marriott thanks for the info. If the Marriott does not work I will try the Hampton. When I come in all I want is something to eat and relax before starting the cruise. It is in December and I come in from Denver so just getting to New York is always my first goal. After that it is all gravy. Really appreciated all the information makes it much easier.

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Carlstadt (Meadowlands). They allowed us to leave our cruise there for the duration of the cruise (free), and we used uber to and from the port. It was very easy, little stress, and much cheaper than parking at the pier. We would do it again in a heartbeat!

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Carlstadt (Meadowlands). They allowed us to leave our cruise there for the duration of the cruise (free), and we used uber to and from the port. It was very easy, little stress, and much cheaper than parking at the pier. We would do it again in a heartbeat!

Good to know about the free parking at the Hamoton Inn in Carlstadt, NJ, but this OP is flying into LaGuardia, not Newark Airport, to cruise from Manhattan.

Hi mking and others, we have reserved The Marco for Oct 20th. Need advice, my friend is thinking

we should book the new (reburbished) Hilton Garden Inn Water st Financial District opening Sept 30th

We would need to take taxi or Uber from LGA that afternoon and again to Red Hook in AM. She likes the idea of new Hilton and lots of restaurants in area. Your thoughts please? Rate if paid in advance is $215 for king, we dont mind sharing for 1 night.

Hi mking and others, we have reserved The Marco for Oct 20th. Need advice, my friend is thinking

we should book the new (reburbished) Hilton Garden Inn Water st Financial District opening Sept 30th

We would need to take taxi or Uber from LGA that afternoon and again to Red Hook in AM. She likes the idea of new Hilton and lots of restaurants in area. Your thoughts please? Rate if paid in advance is $215 for king, we dont mind sharing for 1 night.

Staying on Water St in downtown Manhattan opens up the possibility of taking the MTA ferry to Red Hook from Wall St pier 11 for $2.75/pp. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Ferry docks right by the cruise ship. You can arrive in style and take pictures coming in. Here's a thread with pictures - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678&highlight=Ferry

... we have reserved The Marco for Oct 20th. Need advice, my friend is thinking we should book the new (reburbished) Hilton Garden Inn Water st Financial District ... taxi or Uber from LGA that afternoon and again to Red Hook in AM. She likes the idea of new Hilton and lots of restaurants in area. Rate if paid in advance is $215 for king, we dont mind sharing for 1 night.
Hello there, do you have a fully refundable Marco booking ? HGI is on a historic block, not far from Fraunces Tavern (family small business used to be on Pearl Street pre-9/11) so the McDonald is gone, a favorite to enjoy coffee in the mid-morning watching the commuters coming off the ferries & walking up to Wall Street, etc. As far as evening dining, I am not sure if there are much choices in that immediate area after 6 PM - likely need to walk 6 to 8 blocks north to the South Street Seaport & Fulton Market districts, where there are more choices + watering holes (bars) Last time I drove by the area, most of the 24/7 deli with food counters are gone - not necessary good depending on estimated time for both of you to get there ... Friday PM rush hour from LGA to WTC area is likely 60 to 90 minutes, don't do a taxi & watch for Uber rush hour/surge pricing - I would book Carmel or Dial 7 instead (plus a $8.50 toll) ... don't think mass transit is an option for you (Q70-SBS from airport to E or #7 subway train with a transfer to South Ferry Terminal, and a short 2 blocks walk.

The new East River ferry service is about 5 blocks north on Wall Street as an alternative - otherwise, car service via the Battery (Hugh Carey) Tunnel with another toll, $8.50 would be the easiest curbside to Red Hook pier transfer - 20 minutes should do it ... if you split the car service fares, it's not bad.

If you keep your Marco, booked at a lower rate - you get free airport shuttle pickup, plus a car service ride in morning, 30 to 45 minutes in the morning to cruise terminal & no tolls involved (1 hour if there's unusual traffic) - I just checked their website, there's an on-site restaurant, probably the usual & basic meal selections for travelers. Out the front door and within 1 or 2 block radius, a wide choice of nearly all Asian but variety of dining choices (they have posted some recommendations, but it's about 50% outdated, sadly - due to turnover.) There's a fried chicken place across the street and Domino Pizza do deliveries till midnight.

Here's how I see it - if both of you just need a good night sleep, clean - comfortable & safe, etc. to rest before your cruise ... and basic comfort food for supper (free breakfast in morning at both places, till you board the ship) - either place is fine, less time traveling to Marco & no traffic issues to deal with. Transportation cost will be doubled or more going with the rebranded Hilton, but you will be closer to Red Hook in the morning ... traffic for that short ride unlikely to be a problem. Dining for either places aren't ideal for out-of-towners, compromised at both places.

Advantage for downtown is - in the morning, you can take a short walk overlooking the Bay for Statue of Liberty, walk up Broadway to touch the infamous "Bull" & friend, checkout even the Tavern (site of a domestic terrorism boming in the late 1970's - yes)

Flushing has a historic Town Hall dating back to the colonial days, just 2 blocks and has other landmarks, John Bowne House from the 1660's for the Dutch & Quaker ...

Do you need or plan to pickup anything for your cruise - advantage would be Flushing, supermarket & groceries are all nearby ... probably a wine/liquor store. It's a tough call, flip the coin & decide or wait to look for newer hotel reviews after 9/30 ??

138east/Carol ususally has quick access in hunting down weekend deals for downtown - $215 seemed like a good deal for that weekend, I'm seeing crazy high availability prices even for the Lower East Side in the middle of nowhere ... must be all the cruise ship business.

Here's a direct link to LGA (Airport) 411 that we tried to keep current & informative, with tips for travelers (how/where to pickiup/meet car service & shuttles) - we went out to lunch earlier & drove past the airport both ways, traffic moving smoothy & at the speed limit, no construction activities due to the holidays - tons of construction work in progress ... lately, authorities seemed to be managing it well (and, U.S. Tennis Open nearby is almost over, another week ... then, we get the annual U.N. General Assembly)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2395969

Feel free to bounce ideas or ask more questions, etc.

Edited by mking8288

OP reporting back that I've booked Hyatt Place in Flushing. It meets my needs of not wanting to go into Manhattan until the morning of the cruise, restaurant on site, and a little bit away from Laguardia airport and breakfast included. I plan to book a car service for the morning of the cruise.

Hundreds of hotel options for many different styles and needs! I'll report back after my stay and hopefully help others.

Thanks everyone! You're the New York experts and I appreciate the help.

Happy to help with any Colorado questions. :D

Hyatt is an excellent choice, please share your thoughts & experience afterward - their rack rate was under $200 2 years ago @ grand opening, lovely rooftop bar - TripAdvisors review tell the story.

A block away is a busy multi-story shopping complex, the Skyview Mall - Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, BJ & Target, Starbucks & giant Asian supermarket (for soda, juices & bottle water for cruising) - plus, I know. AppleBees for dinner. Across the street is a liquor & wine store. Duane Reade, retail pharmacy chain store is 1.5 block the other way toward Main Street, it's open 24/7 if you need to get anything.

You can just book Carmel or Dial 7 car service (we get airline miles credited for our trips, LOL) in the morning for the ride to the Brooklyn pier - very easy and there are several "local" car services in the Flushing area, just in case - at very similar prices ... plus usually Uber & Lyft cruising in that area. Need any other info, tips & ideas, please feel free to ask or post.

Regards - now back to "Irma" watch - our cruise plan later this Fall might be slightly disrupted or side-tracked, but it is insured.

We are flying in to LGA on Sunday, Oct.15 for a cruise the next day. We have booked the Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown for the overnight stay. I have been told that the fare from the airport to the hotel will be somewhere around $48-$50 via taxi and will be about an hour ride. Just wanted to confirm this price. Don't have an Uber account but have time to do that if that would be a better option. Thanks for any advice!

We are flying in to LGA on Sunday, Oct.15 for a cruise the next day. We have booked the Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown for the overnight stay. I have been told that the fare from the airport to the hotel will be somewhere around $48-$50 via taxi and will be about an hour ride. Just wanted to confirm this price. Don't have an Uber account but have time to do that if that would be a better option. Thanks for any advice!

Price is about what we paid on our visits this year, I like Uber but taxi is fine. We normally do taxi for this but Uber for getting around NYC