Regent Seven Seas Holds Contest to Choose New Luxury Cruise Ship Name

LauraS

A couple of interesting things about this competition, according to the small print:

1. The competition is only open to residents of the US and Canada
  2. "Notwithstanding the vote results, Sponsor reserves the right to name the ship in any manner it chooses, in its sole discretion. Use of your Entry as the name of the ship will not entitle you to any prize or other compensation; the only prize-winners in this promotion are those selected by the random draw"

So my entry of Seven Seas Embalmer probably doesn't stand much chance :loudcry:

A couple of interesting things about this competition, according to the small print:
  1. The competition is only open to residents of the US and Canada
  2. "Notwithstanding the vote results, Sponsor reserves the right to name the ship in any manner it chooses, in its sole discretion. Use of your Entry as the name of the ship will not entitle you to any prize or other compensation; the only prize-winners in this promotion are those selected by the random draw"

So my entry of Seven Seas Embalmer probably doesn't stand much chance :loudcry:

I'm thinking my original suggestion of Seven Seas Shippy McShipface won't make it, either. Even if I change it to Seven Seas Shippy McShipfacer to better meet the rules...

😡Think it is a very poor show by Regent that this competition is only open to US and Canadian residents - this is only mentioned in the T's & C's.

What about all the UK, European, Australian and New Zealand residents who also spend A LOT on Regent?😡

I'm thinking my original suggestion of Seven Seas Shippy McShipface won't make it, either. Even if I change it to Seven Seas Shippy McShipfacer to better meet the rules...

Reading the fine print: "As an incentive to participate, Regent will randomly select three people from among the entrants......." and, "The name Regent ultimately selects for the ship will not be impacted by the names suggested by the three random cruise winners."

Go for it, Bill!

How about the Regent Can't Afford Her?

Don't understand this comment. Kindly explain. Thanks much.:D

Note: U.S. and Canada represent about 80% of Regent passengers. Perhaps there are some tax or other liabilities involved with other countries. If the winner is from the U.S., they will owe tax on the prize.

Don't understand this comment. Kindly explain. Thanks much.:D

Note: U.S. and Canada represent about 80% of Regent passengers. Perhaps there are some tax or other liabilities involved with other countries. If the winner is from the U.S., they will owe tax on the prize.

Jackie, it's supposed to be a joke about Regent's constant price increases, Obviously, I wouldn't be on this board if I couldn't afford Regent.

As for why only people from the US and Canada are eligible, I suspect it has to do with lottery laws, not with meanness on the part of Regent. It's probably quite tricky to run a contest in multiple countries. Notice that, even in Canada, Quebec residents aren't eligible because of Quebec's nearly impossible lottery laws.

As for why only people from the US and Canada are eligible, I suspect it has to do with lottery laws, not with meanness on the part of Regent. It's probably quite tricky to run a contest in multiple countries. Notice that, even in Canada, Quebec residents aren't eligible because of Quebec's nearly impossible lottery laws.

If that is the case then hopefully Regent's offices elsewhere in the world (e.g. S America, Europe and Australia) will hold a similar draw/raffle/lottery to allow their loyal customers a chance :)

................. but I am sure those clever people in Regent marketing already have this in hand so as not to alienate their customers outside north america :rolleyes:

Sorry wripro - it has to end in "er" or "or" so maybe "includerer" would work:evilsmile:

Just because they say it has to end in an er or or doesn't mean it's true. Witness the included excursions which some passengers can't get despite what Regent says.

Jackie, it's supposed to be a joke about Regent's constant price increases, Obviously, I wouldn't be on this board if I couldn't afford Regent.

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, when reading the written word, it can be misconstrued. However, I know that you two love Regent which is why I asked.

Giggling over Vibrator...

Hopping on here to say that the choosing of the name and the free cruise winners are pretty much unrelated. In essence, it's a lottery to win a free cruise on the maiden voyage, so you might as well submit any old name you like if you're a past passenger and take your chances. If Regent gets name inspiration, that's a bonus.

Regent is not necessarily going to announce the ship name at the same time it announces the contest winners. In fact, it's almost guaranteed that they won't. (FWIW, I queried Regent's PR on all this.)

Note, underlining added: Also, I suspect the contest excludes the many UK and Australian residents who post here because of their propensity to stick an extra "u" somewhere before everything that ends in "r." Bad form, really.

LOL. Actually, British spelling is one of my favourite things, and is much more colourful than US spelling. We're the odd ducks on spelling, not the Brits. Doesn't "jewellery" look better than the boring "jewelry"?

Since I've been around a Brit for so long, I can use either spelling but use the U.S. spelling on U.S. based sites. When writing to my DH's relatives, I try to spell things their way. Actually, I prefer spelling words the way I was taught in school. Spelling isn't the biggest challenge, IMO, it is language. For instance, if you go visit someone's house in England, you could say "what a homely place you have". This would be a huge insult in the U.S.:halo: And what would you think if someone said "I'll knock you up I the morning".

I have seen a few people outside of the U.S. spell Voyager "Voyageur". In any case, I'm not sure if all of the different thoughts about the naming process is true or not and it really doesn't make much difference to me. They did have a name picked out but they may be open to others. We'll submit ours even though it is doubtful that we'll win. It would be fun if, after the contest is closed, we shared the names that we submitted.