Considering canceling cruise to Caribbean islands destroyed by Irma

Torquer

I guess I will be the first to ask the question and start this inevitable thread.

We are booked on the "Island Paradise" cruise in January that visits pretty much all the islands destroyed by Irma: St. Maarten, St. Barts, Antigua, etc. From the scary and sad photos that are starting to come in, there is no way any of these islands is going to be an island paradise in the next 3 1/2 months. I have to wonder if they would even allow cruise ships to dock there in that timeframe, since the tourist infrastructure is totally gone.

Unfortunately, we are past the 120 day free cancellation period and the full payment will be due in about 3 weeks. I know Oceania's standard cancellation policy is $250 or 10% for the upper level suites (we are in OS) between 90-120 days.

To make matters worse, I just noticed a discrepancy between the cancellation policy on the website and the PDF with the fine print. Their website simply has the following statement:

"++The Administrative Fee may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within 2 years of date of issue."

However the PDF says the following:

"*Except for Owner’s, Vista and Oceania Suites, the Administrative may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time."

Does that mean the upper suite guests simply lose 10% if they cancel? Why are the policies different and which one really applies?

I know that all this is very recent events, and Oceania's offices in Miami are just now facing Irma, but has anyone begun to explore with Oceania what will happen with these cruises? Will the cruises be canceled or the ports totally changed? Will the cancellation policy be made more liberal given the extraordinary circumstances, perhaps even a total refund of the deposit?

We are on the Dec cruise from Miami

Until the storm actually hits Florida I think any comments will be pure speculation at this point

My thoughts are if Miami port is usable then the ships will sail someplace

It may not be the islands we signed up for but there will be a cruise to some other places

We are just waiting to see how this all plays out & will go where the cruise takes us

As long as we can fly into Miami & the hotels are intact I am good to go

JMO

YMMV

I echo the previous post and would add that any island/port we stop at (if affected by Irma) can use any economic benefit we may be able to provide. I am happy to help by not canceling my cruise (and I will be onboard for 116 days). Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I echo the previous post and would add that any island/port we stop at (if affected by Irma) can use any economic benefit we may be able to provide. I am happy to help by not canceling my cruise (and I will be onboard for 116 days). Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did Virgin Islands cruise 1989 about 10 days after Hurricane Hugo and do not regret it. Heartbreaking, but those islands needed every little bit of economic grace and good will. Regardless of the damage and lack of power, the beaches were beautiful and people an inspiration.

I would expect in about a week the various cruise lines will have their representatives inspecting the ports and the conditions. Once that is done then they can revise itineraries as needed.

A lot of the small market shops will have been destroyed but it does not take too much to get them going again. A lot will depended on the type of activity you want to do in the ports. The beaches will still be there. The great scenic views overlooking the ocean will still be there. Some building such as churches or museums you may want to see could no longer be accessible - same for botanical gardens.

People that have lost a lot need your tourist dollars - these islands don't have much in the way of financial help for those not working

We are scheduled on a Riviera cruise in December that has most ports affected by Irma. We also live in a mandatory evacuation zone caused by Irma. We have elected to shelter in place. Worrying about your deposit and canceling a cruise because the ports were devastated, and your vacation might not be perfect, is really bothersome. Have some feelings for those people who have had to experience the wrath of nature.

In the same vein that I'm sure the questions about your vacation were not intended to minimize any hardship of those who have and will continue to suffer from this disaster I do not mean to sound harsh and just trying to be realistic.

From the scary and sad photos that are starting to come in, there is no way any of these islands is going to be an island paradise in the next 3 1/2 months. I have to wonder if they would even allow cruise ships to dock there in that timeframe, since the tourist infrastructure is totally gone.
as Waynetor wrote "A lot of the small market shops will have been destroyed but it does not take too much to get them going again. A lot will depended on the type of activity you want to do in the ports. The beaches will still be there. The great scenic views overlooking the ocean will still be there. "

There still will be the swimming and beaches and sun and hopefully ruins will not be further ruined. In tourist areas I am sure locals will rise to the occasion as quickly as their internal infrastructure allows. Sadly I am sure many will have suffered greatly and some places it could take years to recover. The awful destruction of Barbuda for example. But your visit is very important to many Caribbean economies so there will be a lot of activity to ensure that you do get to visit. And that visit will be a unique experience and very welcomed.

To make matters worse, I just noticed a discrepancy between the cancellation policy on the website and the PDF with the fine print. Their website simply has the following statement:

"++The Administrative Fee may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within 2 years of date of issue."

"*Except for Owner’s, Vista and Oceania Suites, the Administrative may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time."

Does that mean the upper suite guests simply lose 10% if they cancel? Why are the policies different and which one really applies?

You're asking why the policies are different but I'm not sure if you mean between the website and the PDF or between the upper suite guests and the others.

As for the documentation, often there are discrepancies between a website and printed documentation. A corporate department changes documentation and has it uploaded but this does not get to the web designers to update a page. And unfortunately a trend in websites is to not date articles, which I find very frustrating as the information could be completely useless depending on when it was written.

What PDF are you referring to? One you've downloaded or one that came with your official documentation? If the website was dated more recently than the PDF, then I would go with the website otherwise the PDF if that came with your official documentation. In any case, I suggest you read the Terms and Conditions in your contract as that would be the definitive answer.

And yes, I read the statements you posted to mean that the upper suite guests lose 10% if they cancel. If you're asking why the policy is different for upper suite guests it is because those suites are harder to fill at the last minute than lower categories. Simply a matter of there being a smaller pool of potential guests and perhaps less likely to purchase last minute cruises.

I know that all this is very recent events, and Oceania's offices in Miami are just now facing Irma, but has anyone begun to explore with Oceania what will happen with these cruises?

Other than information from your TA I don't think there is anything to explore yet at this point beyond what you are done here reaching out for information from experts here on CC (I don't claim to be one - some folks on CC are very knowledgeable and collectively can be amazing.)

Will the cruises be canceled or the ports totally changed? Will the cruises be canceled or the ports totally changed?

Your January cruise will not be cancelled. O could not cancel all the affected cruises between now and February and stay in business I read on another board a cruise line that is not cancelling a sailing that was to leave Sunday 10th. They are changing the seven day cruise to a four day cruise departing on Sept 13 (needless to say a lot of "discussion" on that board). A January cruise will definitely not be cancelled. Ports very well might be changed, or none of them.

Will the cancellation policy be made more liberal given the extraordinary circumstances, perhaps even a total refund of the deposit?
Doubtful. Insurance is for extraordinary and unforeseen circumstances and is to be used for such things not the cruise line to refund unless they were to cancel the cruise. Even if you had insurance, except for cancel for any reason coverage, I doubt if they would cover a hurricane in September for a cruise in January.

I do understand your concerns that your cruise will not be as you expected when you purchase it and I am not unsympathetic. But I think the two choices are taking the loss with CFAR coverage on your insurance if you have it, or changing your expectations and making the best of the situation.

Edited by YoHoHo

For the record, I was referring to why Oceania's website differs from Oceania's PDF, regarding the cancellation policy for the upper level suites by not allowing you to use the "administrative fee" for a future cruise. Has anyone cancelled a cruise recently in an upper level suite and which policy did Oceania use? Were you able to use the "administrative fee" as credit for a future cruise?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

PDF:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/56049/TC-US.pdf

Edited by Torquer

No, I'm not considering cancelling my January cruise. I am thinking about those brave citizens of Barbuda, St. Martin, and St. Barts who've lost everything. Hopefully the big cruise lines will make large contributions that will help these and other islands that are so important to their bottom lines.

For the record, I was referring to why Oceania's website differs from Oceania's PDF, regarding the cancellation policy for the upper level suites by not allowing you to use the "administrative fee" for a future cruise. Has anyone cancelled a cruise recently in an upper level suite and which policy did Oceania use? Were you able to use the "administrative fee" as credit for a future cruise?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

PDF:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/56049/TC-US.pdf

Interestingly, the above policy was amended due to a very vocal former member of Cruise Critic, possessed of deep pockets and a belligerent nature who saw the unrestricted nature of that rule as an invitation to book a large number of OVO Suites, in the hope that he could use them as bargaining chips in his quest for being offered lower than Market priced Oceania Cruises.

Oceania's Revenue Dept caught onto him rather quickly. They put a stop to his scheme by changing the fine print, but continue to honor the original policy for the vast majority of their clientele.

The same is true for Oceania's generous liquor regulations, the written policy restricts carry on bottles to three.... it just isn't ever enforced....

Edited by JimandStan

The Islands will still be The Islands and' if life gives you lemons make lemonade', I am sure the Tour Companies will add the extra element of devastation/rebuilding to the tours that will be of interest to guests plus you will have the added bonus of knowing you are contributing to that rebuild. I would like to think that there would be a giving box in the customs terminal for guests to donate financially to the rebuilding of the infrastructure of their Island. After all, we will have the ability of returning to our luxury accommodation at the end of the tour while the Locals will have to cope with whatever carnage remains.

It's nice that people want to help, but the reality is that a day of helping from cruise passengers will accomplish little to nothing beyond making those passengers feel good about themselves and probably only interfere with actual recovery efforts.

Contributing to the local economies by having lunch at a local restaurant rather than the ship buffet and buying local items would probably be more welcome by people whose lives are affected.

Edited by MarkieMarkNYC

It's nice that people want to help, but the reality is that a day of helping from cruise passengers will accomplish little to nothing beyond making those passengers feel good about themselves and probably only interfere with actual recovery efforts.

Contributing to the local economies by having lunch at a local restaurant rather than the ship buffet and buying local items would probably be more welcome by people whose lives are affected.

MarkieMarkNYC I agree with your latter points but the reality of them running businesses will be very limited as the infrastructure will likely have gone. Most of their food supplies were normally imported as they have very little pasture or arable land. On reality what they need is money to enable them to buy the supplies to rebuild homes and business premises, vehicles, freezers, furniture, clothing, silverware, you can see where I am coming from here, the list will be endless and will all have to be imported. People with nothing need a hand up as well as a hand out.

The local restaurants and shops that sell local items are most likely not there anymore so it could be a long time for these people to re build if ever. They will need a lot of government and charities to fund most of this, not the cruise ship passengers. If they wait for us to get there they will be old and grey until they get enough to really help. No easy answer.

Every little helps comes to mind.! I am uncertain how giving money would get in the way of recovery efforts! No one would expect a days worth of cruise ship passengers donations would solve their problems but a contribution to their disaster fund will go a little way and if every passenger from every ship that is able (remember how much we are paying for our cruise) gives something the sum will be greater than the parts. Donations to Disaster funds is common in the U.K. and all Disaster Agencies put out the call which is always well received. The population of these Caribbean Country Islands is minuscule, where would the find the money with no infrastructure if not from donations? The Good Samaritan should be our example, I for one will be giving, I could not turn the other cheek.

NCL announced today that the current ship doing east/west Caribbean itineraries will be doing all western itineraries until November. Does not say if early, mid or late November but this does show NCLs feeling based on initial reviews of conditions that it will take awhile to get things back to reasonable conditions.

Hopefully for those cruising in Dec and Jan the original itineraries will hold and the islands will again be worth visiting.

NCL announced today that the current ship doing east/west Caribbean itineraries will be doing all western itineraries until November. Does not say if early, mid or late November but this does show NCLs feeling based on initial reviews of conditions that it will take awhile to get things back to reasonable conditions.

Hopefully for those cruising in Dec and Jan the original itineraries will hold and the islands will again be worth visiting.

Here's a link to an article in the Washington Post that lists the current state of readiness for visitors to Caribbean islands and Florida cities hit by hurricane Irma.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/ready-for-visitors-a-post-irma-update-on-caribbean-islands-and-florida-cities/2017/09/13/7141e20e-9808-11e7-87fc-c3f7ee4035c9_story.html?utm_term=.bfebb83c524b

• Members

Cruise Critic is keeping an up-to-date list on ports that are affected and which ones are open for cruising. More than you might expect, including Antigua, St. Kitts, Barbados. We'll continue to update this as word comes in from the CTO and the cruise lines: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067

I guess I will be the first to ask the question and start this inevitable thread.

We are booked on the "Island Paradise" cruise in January that visits pretty much all the islands destroyed by Irma: St. Maarten, St. Barts, Antigua, etc. From the scary and sad photos that are starting to come in, there is no way any of these islands is going to be an island paradise in the next 3 1/2 months. I have to wonder if they would even allow cruise ships to dock there in that timeframe, since the tourist infrastructure is totally gone.

Unfortunately, we are past the 120 day free cancellation period and the full payment will be due in about 3 weeks. I know Oceania's standard cancellation policy is $250 or 10% for the upper level suites (we are in OS) between 90-120 days.

I know that all this is very recent events, and Oceania's offices in Miami are just now facing Irma, but has anyone begun to explore with Oceania what will happen with these cruises? Will the cruises be canceled or the ports totally changed? Will the cancellation policy be made more liberal given the extraordinary circumstances, perhaps even a total refund of the deposit?

We cancelled and lost th e 10%. My DH just didn't want to go to the Western Caribbean or have more than 5 sea days out of 12