Quebec City Car Rental Near Cruise Port

TeeRick

We will be cruising to Quebec City in a couple of weeks. Since we have an overnight stay we are considering a car rental. From what I can see there are two (Hertz and Dollar) options in the old city both at 44 Cote du Palais. Is this a far walk from the cruise port where Celebrity Summit docks? Will they pick you up and drop you off? Is there overnight parking at the cruise port for the rental car? Any other tips?

Thank you!

We will be cruising to Quebec City in a couple of weeks. Since we have an overnight stay we are considering a car rental. From what I can see there are two (Hertz and Dollar) options in the old city both at 44 Cote du Palais. Is this a far walk from the cruise port where Celebrity Summit docks? Will they pick you up and drop you off? Is there overnight parking at the cruise port for the rental car? Any other tips?

Thank you!

I would not suggest an overnight car rental - by all means use a rental car to get to out of town attractions on one of the days, but Quebec City (especially where most touristy stuff is) is not very car-friendly and parking close to attractions can be a real hassle. Actually if you've never visited QC before I wouldn't even leave the city myself - there's enough to keep you busy for at least a couple of days without going anywhere else! Oh - except you should technically leave by taking the ferry over to the Levis side of the river - almost every picture you'll ever see of Chateau Frontenac was taken from that side. It's a nice view even if you don't actually get off the ferry, just ride it over and back - but schlepping up the hill gives even better views and far fewer tourists to fill up the restos, cafes, bars etc. over there too.

To actually answer your questions - there's parking at the terminal and also a Hertz rental option there. At least some of the rental offices will come get you and drop you off (this is the Enterprise model, so at least they should). The Summit is to be berthed at wharf 22 (see this map - lots of other info on that site too!) so 44 Cote du Palais is about 1km or <15mins walk.

Thank you!

Make sure you go to Veux Quebec (Old Quebec) inside the walls). You can walk up the steps just outside Chateau Frontenac and walk through the walled city. It's so beautiful and so many little shops to visit. If you are renting a car make sure you have time - Quebec is a very large province and nothing is close. You can walk Old Quebec and you can walk outside the walls through the gates into downtown.

I would not suggest an overnight car rental - by all means use a rental car to get to out of town attractions on one of the days, but Quebec City (especially where most touristy stuff is) is not very car-friendly and parking close to attractions can be a real hassle. Actually if you've never visited QC before I wouldn't even leave the city myself - there's enough to keep you busy for at least a couple of days without going anywhere else! Oh - except you should technically leave by taking the ferry over to the Levis side of the river - almost every picture you'll ever see of Chateau Frontenac was taken from that side. It's a nice view even if you don't actually get off the ferry, just ride it over and back - but schlepping up the hill gives even better views and far fewer tourists to fill up the restos, cafes, bars etc. over there too.

To actually answer your questions - there's parking at the terminal and also a Hertz rental option there. At least some of the rental offices will come get you and drop you off (this is the Enterprise model, so at least they should). The Summit is to be berthed at wharf 22 (see this map - lots of other info on that site too!) so 44 Cote du Palais is about 1km or <15mins walk.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and your detailed response. Much appreciated!

Make sure you go to Veux Quebec (Old Quebec) inside the walls). You can walk up the steps just outside Chateau Frontenac and walk through the walled city. It's so beautiful and so many little shops to visit. If you are renting a car make sure you have time - Quebec is a very large province and nothing is close. You can walk Old Quebec and you can walk outside the walls through the gates into downtown.

Thank you- maybe we will see how much we can cover on day 1 within the old city and then consider renting a car just on day 2.