Hurricane Irma--need reports from Poss and zqueese

RachelG

We have a second home in Port Aransas that was hit by cat 4 winds of Harvey. Port a was without power for 2 weeks. Every power pole for many miles were down besides terrible destruction. So, it does take time after bad storms to get it back.

The poor Florida keys got clobbered.

Good that they are ok. I know it will take a long time for the power issue. We are used to dealing with that with Oklahoma ice storms and tornados. Once was without power at my office for over a week (fortunately had it at home), but others were without for over 2 weeks.

Still worried about Poss.

My friends north of Tampa came through with minimal damage, just no power.

I believe Poss is in SW FL as I am. Irma clobbered the area. We were fortunate and are safe, but for most there is no power since Sunday, no ice, no gas, no hotel rooms and most of the grocery stores are just restocking up and it's getting warmer by the day. Like you I hope Poss is ok, but like us he is likely scrambling for the necessities.

Rachel: thank you so much for checking on us. We are really grateful for your concern and the many folks who have contacted us. Over a century ago, there was an influx of English and Irish settlers who arrived in Puerto Rico and I swear that one of them is my grandfather because I have the luck of the Irish. We did lose power and water for twenty four hours. But, quicker than The Boss can wave her curling iron, we are almost back to normal. We are fortunate and thankful for dodging this bullet as well as concerned for those who got the brunt of the storm such as taxare and others.

Our Cruise Critic family has really shown their support and we look forward to cruising with all. Thanks.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had forgotten about Poss, so now I look forward to hearing from her that all is well. I have friends in Clearwater that I haven't heard from, but they are probably running on a generator right now.

The power in our Dunedin condo was restored today, they expect most to be back on by Friday. This is in the Tampa Bay area, Pinellas County. Little damage, just lots of debris, trees down, and wires, carport damage. I've been reading various local FB feeds as business and services come back on line and begin to offer things like ice and gas.

Let me add a little perspective on why we may not have heard from Poss. Here in the Naples and Fort Myers area there are still 270,000 homes without power. Once you get power, it generally takes several days to get cable restored. Gas lines are still long, food supplies low and most businesses are still closed. We are making progress each day. I just got power back late Wednesday night. If all you have is a cell phone, the limited battery life is only used for necessities. As much as I really enjoy CC, it's a low priority right now. Regards and hope Poss is safe and sound.

We did hear from poss on another thread!

Here is a link to a post that gives detailed information on many ports of call in the Caribbean from a poster's TA. See post #3 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2543894

I don't believe that poss has posted since the Hurricane. I do have friends in Bradenton without power. They were told their power would probably not be restored before Sept. 22!

Karen

I don't believe that poss has posted since the Hurricane.

Correct. She has not yet posted.

TC2 made a comment yesterday on the Canada / substitute port thread:

"poss - first have to say that we are happy to see you on the board. Hope that the damage to your home wasn't too bad."

The immediately preceding post from poss was from Aug 30 (prior to the hurricane).

Edited by ededmd
Poss last posted - Sep 7, 2017, 01:46 PM

Karen, If I made an error by stating that poss has posted, I apologize. I was so anxious to see her "name" that I didn't notice the date.

I just read on the Oceania board that Oceania offices resumed full operations on Thursday, September 14th. Hoping that Regent and NCL assumed operations as well.

Oh, my! Finally coming up for a bit of air, finally taking a break to look at CC-- and I find this! What a beautiful thing to find. Thank you, evereverever so much, especially Rachel of course, but also many thanks to any others who thought of me. Things like that reallyreally do make a difference.

With all the horrific suffering and problems in the world (not just from storms and quakes, but from every kind of disaster, natural and man-made) I feel creepy (self-centered) even mentioning our measly problems.

I'll say a bit, though (releases a little pressure, I guess)--but remember that I am exquisitely aware how puny our problems are. We live in Bonita Springs, FL. (mile north of Naples), under the exact path of Irma. Power went out days before and finally came back on 3 days ago; many people still without power (as in so many other places!) Had mandatory evacuation to a shelter for 2 days: not the most fun we've ever had, but we were grateful for a small cot for my husband (87) and a nice floor pour moi. Felt safe (sort of).

I'd spent endless hours in the week before the storm, preparing in ways I'd never have thought of; fortunate that there were all sorts of lists and instructions sent around, which helped greatly. I felt fairly spent even before the s... hit the fan. Thankfully, we had running water throughout. (Temps in house were mid 90's, so very grateful to have cold shower to stand in periodically through the day.) We had plenty of non-perishable food and about 30 gallons of water. (I don't ever want to see a granola bar again.)

Our house sustained only a small amount of damage, but our pool cage and grounds are pretty much gone. 7 gorgeous, huge old trees snapped or uprooted; completely destroyed our view. Rest of landscape mainly kaput. Will take months and months for clean-up and who knows when pool (now totally full of leaves) can be fixed: help very hard to come by (for obvious reasons), and plenty of scalpers out there. Kind of in a daze, endless things to do and undo, never knew a person could be this tired. But we're both ok, more or less. Our deep love and the caring of others is allowing us to hold it together (more or less-- dear Jack better at that than I am).

And then I open good ol' Cruise Critic and what do I see! THANK YOU!!

Edited by poss

Oh, Poss, Mark and I have checked this post several times each day hoping to hear from you. We have family in Fort Myers and Jacksonville who all fared better than you. I wish we were close enough to help out and give you both a hug. We send prayers for air conditioning, help with yard work, and rest for you. Love to you both!

Susan

poss, we are so happy to see you back on CC and are thankful that you and your DH are safe. It reminds all of us that we need to have food and water on hand in case of an emergency.

Try to rest and take one day at a time. Also remember how many of us care about you. If we lived close to you, we'd be there to help. There are so many loving and giving people out there. There is a show on television (Little People) that showed the main character and his brothers that live in Florida (before the hurricane) going to Houston (they had just moved from there) going home to home giving food away for pets. IMO, this brings out the very best in people.

Know that you are in our thoughts.......

Jackie

Good grief Poss, so sorry to hear what a rough time you had. And yes, I know, you're alive, and your house is mainly intact, but still. I had friends in Clearwater who evac'ed two days prior, and others who stayed in place. But Dunedin did not get the direct hit that was feared, although power was out for the better part of a week. Our little place is fine, and I'm grateful that there are groundskeepers repairing the damage and not me. Thinking about Puerto Rico and other islands just makes me sick.

Perhaps by the time your October cruie rolls around you'll be able to take a deep breath and enjoy some cooler weather! Meanwhile good luck with your repairs--take it slow.