NYC Subway - Red Hook cruise terminal to Subway

paul929207

I am trying to get from our ship which will dock at Red Hook in Brooklyn to the nearest subway stop. It appears that there are a couple for the F line. Which is the shortest walk? How far is it? I assume that I could get a taxi at the ship terminal.

Thanks for your help.

I am trying to get from our ship which will dock at Red Hook in Brooklyn to the nearest subway stop. It appears that there are a couple for the F line. Which is the shortest walk? How far is it? I assume that I could get a taxi at the ship terminal.

Thanks for your help.

Where are you trying to get to on the subway? How much luggage will you have? Many NY subway stations are not accessible, which means you have to be prepared to carry your bags up and down stairs.

Depending on where you're going, you might want to consider taking the accessible ferry from the Red Hook terminal to Pier 11 in downtown Manhattan for $2.75. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/ For another $2.75 it's possible to transfer to another ferry route that takes you to East 34th St in Manhattan or other stops in Brooklyn or Queens.

It all depends on your final destination.

I should have made myself clearer. On our cruise (Pacific Princess Trans Atlantic), Red Hook is a port along the way. So we will not have luggage. We arrive at 7 am and sail 8 pm. We would like to get to Tenafly NJ where my mother lives. I grew up in Tenafly and worked in Manhattan for over 5 years in my younger days.

Once we get to the subway, I know the way. Just trying to decide whether to walk from the ship to the subway station or to take a taxi.

Thanks

I agree, take a taxi, but I googled the distance, its one hour by car. Its quite ambitious, for a day stop in NY. Myself, I wouldn't chance it, but you know better than I do. Could someone bring mom closer to city center so you don't have to go so far?

We have 13 hours in NYC, less of course the time to get off the ship and board. So I figure about 10 hours from when we get off the ship until we would want to be back on. I am hoping to get a family member to pick us up at the George Washington Bridge terminal and maybe even drive us back there.

My mother will be 93 by then, so we will probably just spend 2 or 3 hours there.

Thanks for all the help.

I just had a thought, even though Red Hook is used as an embarkation/disembarkation point for Can/NE cruises, and an embarkation for the repositioning, did I see or read somewhere that when NY is used as a port of call, such as on a TA, could Manhattan be used?

I just had a thought, even though Red Hook is used as an embarkation/disembarkation point for Can/NE cruises, and an embarkation for the repositioning, did I see or read somewhere that when NY is used as a port of call, such as on a TA, could Manhattan be used?

Here is the current Manhattan/Brooklyn cruise schedule, under Itinerary it will say "Port of Call". You can sort by column headings.

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/ .

And some cruises do both port of call and then embark for example 7/27 and the Sea Princess or 9/9 Aurora.

We have 13 hours in NYC, less of course the time to get off the ship and board. So I figure about 10 hours from when we get off the ship until we would want to be back on. I am hoping to get a family member to pick us up at the George Washington Bridge terminal and maybe even drive us back there.

My mother will be 93 by then, so we will probably just spend 2 or 3 hours there.

Thanks for all the help.

I should have made myself clearer. On our cruise (Pacific Princess Trans Atlantic), Red Hook is a port along the way. So we will not have luggage. We arrive at 7 am and sail 8 pm. We would like to get to Tenafly NJ where my mother lives. I grew up in Tenafly and worked in Manhattan for over 5 years in my younger days.

Once we get to the subway, I know the way. Just trying to decide whether to walk from the ship to the subway station or to take a taxi.

Thanks

I don't see the Pacific Princess on the 2017 NY port schedule, are you on the Crown Princess perhaps? If so, that ship is listed on the port schedule as docking in Manhattan as a port of call on 11/4, not Brooklyn.

It appears you are booked on a TA that has New York as a port of call. I can't find any specific info about what I'm guessing is your June 3, 2018 date. However, in looking at the 2017 New York Cruiseport schedule, every Princess Cruise that has a port of call stop in "New York" (as opposed to a turnaround day for disembarkation/embarkation) is booked for Manhattan and not Brooklyn. It's just too soon to tell, but I think your chances are excellent for a Manhattan docking. The Princess web site says Manhattan or Brooklyn and for a port of call stop, Manhattan would always be the preference for the big mainstream cruise lines.

For the past, this will be 7 years, we have done the repositioning from Red Hook to the Caribbean. I don't know how many times, someone will come on the roll call and ask how to get from an airport to the cruise pier....in Manhattan. It's confusing when Princess puts on their cruise bookings "either" Manhattan or Brooklyn...with the other lines cruising out of Manhattan, you would think.....but that's not the case.

For the past, this will be 7 years, we have done the repositioning from Red Hook to the Caribbean. I don't know how many times, someone will come on the roll call and ask how to get from an airport to the cruise pier....in Manhattan. It's confusing when Princess puts on their cruise bookings "either" Manhattan or Brooklyn...with the other lines cruising out of Manhattan, you would think.....but that's not the case.

It appears that the OP is on a spring TA that originates in Fort Lauderdale, stops in New York as a port stop and continues on to Canada and Iceland with the leg ending in Dover England.

For this fall Crown Princess and Sea Princess that have NY as a port of call dock in Manhattan. Crown and Regal Princess Canada cruises that originate in New York dock in Brooklyn.

It appears you are booked on a TA that has New York as a port of call. I can't find any specific info about what I'm guessing is your June 3, 2018 date. However, in looking at the 2017 New York Cruiseport schedule, every Princess Cruise that has a port of call stop in "New York" (as opposed to a turnaround day for disembarkation/embarkation) is booked for Manhattan and not Brooklyn. It's just too soon to tell, but I think your chances are excellent for a Manhattan docking. The Princess web site says Manhattan or Brooklyn and for a port of call stop, Manhattan would always be the preference for the big mainstream cruise lines.

Thanks.

Yes, I am on the Pacific Princess Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Dover. New York is a port of call for the cruise. We will be there June 3, 2018. I will keep checking the schedule to see where we wind up. Obviously, NYC would be better for me that Brooklyn.

... I am on the Pacific Princess Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Dover. New York is a port of call for the cruise. We will be there June 3, 2018 ...
The downloadable full year 2017 NYCruise Calendar showed the Pacific Princess docked at Manhattan Cruise Terminal this year and my sense is that it will do the same next June ... probably use Pier 90 or 92 for a port stop if there are other ships that day.

That would simplify your planning to see mom @ NJ ... bless her at 92 years young & going toward 93. Being a Sunday, traffic will be light coming across the GWB in the morning but coming back into Manhattan in the late afternoon for the evening all-abroad could be brutal. Without luggage, the NY Waterway is a short few blocks south - take that across to Weehawken, NJ and they can drive a short distance from Tenafly ... River Road along the waterfront would be the most direct route but traffic has gotten a lot worst in the last 10 years with the housing bloom & development, still good ... maybe 30 minutes at most down to the pier.

When you are done visiting them, get dropped off & ride the ferry back to NY side, very easy & it's a short walk back to the ship, depending on your plans & timing, etc.

Would getting to the PATH line help? Are you aware of the new REI Brooklyn ferry route? It departs from immediately adjacent to the Red Hook terminal, and goes to Pier 11, at the foot of Wall Street. From there it's a few blocks to several of the subway lines. But it's also only 4 blocks or so to the WTC PATH terminus.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app