Western Mediterrannean Ports

gatlinburg

Hi Everyone, I realize this question has probably been asked numerous times, but we are traveling next year on Meraviglia with our two children (6/8yr olds), and were just wondering which Ports (Marseille, Barcelona, Genoa, Valletta, Palermo, Civitavecchia) are managable to walk around on our own and sight-see, and skip doing an MSC excursion? We have already booked the sightseeing, and Aquarium for the kids when in Genoa, and thinking of doing the same in Barcelona since it'll be April, and cooler weather. Sure do appreciate any advice for other ports. Definitely do not think kids would enjoy long ride into Rome, so we're not sure about what we'll do at Civitavecchia Port. Thank you for any advice, and tips~

20663603_10213743852096572_9006415809879165787_n.jpg?oh=5982504827472abaaacb3e125d4c14fe&oe=5A4908C3

;):)

Barcelona, Genoa, Valletta

Are definitely good to do on your own - BCN get a taxi to the La Ramblas - the rest can be done on the HoHo bus?

For Malta I can recommend the Lascaris War Rooms which tell the story of the siege in WW2

There isn't a great deal in Civitavecchia itself - it's quite a small town

Barcelona, Genoa and Palermo are all easy to do on your own. The hoho was excellent in Barcelona. There are two different routes you can take. We did both routes in a day, and that included stops along the way. We walked Genoa and went to mass at the Cathedral which is a beautiful church about a mile and a half from the ship. It also put us in the city center. Palermo has a shuttle to city center, but it is also walkable from the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hi

My Thoughts

Marseilles you will be docked a fair way from the town, there will be a shuttle bus in once there easy walk round and there is a HOHO and a little train from the marina.

Barcelona catch the local shuttle from the ship cost is a few Euro that will drop you at the bottom of Los Ramblas HOHO bus stop here or walk up Los Ramblas to the square were again HOHO buses as said prev 2 routes to take.

Genoa as per previous answer easy walk around or the HOHO.

Palermo same again

Civitavecchia there isn't an awful lot there but I understand your point with a pair of 6/8 year olds Rome might be a bit much for them. Get the shuttle from the ship to the town take buckets and spades there's a decent beach there, do a bit of shopping back to the ship for a quiet afternoon.

Valletta very easy to walk round, there are HOHO again if you fancy going further afield.

I would suggest having a look here for stuff in the ports that maybe appeal to your family https://www.tomsportguides.com this may help

Kev

I am following since we are going on the same itinerary in Nov.

My thoughts so far;

Marseille either private tour to Aix,Cassis and back to Marseille about 100 euros or self guided day (boat trip from vieux port to the calanques 3hr and then little train around Marseille and self exploring much cheaper but worried I would miss markets in Aix)

Genoa - self guided day visit to Boccadasss (little fishing village) and then around city

Rome - guided private excursion to city and collesum. (Been there before and already been to vacatian museum)

Palmero- hoping for a tour of the catacombs if I can find one. Then small city tour to see Norman Palace and Palatine chapel

Valletta - Hop On Hop off and self guided.

My ideal day would be a tour in morning to get orientated to the area and then time in afternoon to explore. My plans aren't set yet and any feedback or advice is welcome!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app