Luggage on train from Sydney Airport to Circular Quay

glee87

Hello,

Need some advice. Is luggage permitted on the train? We will have on large suitcase and 2 carry on luggage.

If not, what would you suggest we take for transportation that is not that expensive? I think taxi will be about $50. :) TIA!!

Luggage is certainly permitted. There are no luggage racks, just stand or sit in the vestibules at the ends of the carriages. You will need to be considerate of other people getting on or off especially during the peak hours. If you can manage your baggage the train is the best option. Second option is the taxi, probably cheapest with 3 or more passengers.

Luggage is permitted but if you are travelling in rush hour it can be stressful as the train will already be crowded when it gets to the station. However if you are traveling in rush hour a taxi will be an even worse option as the fare will be high due to the traffic. During the day the train will be fairly quiet and luggage will be no problem as long as you are physically able to lift it over the small gap betwen the platform and train. Just keep it with you and either sit or stand in the vestibule level. If you move right to the far end of the platform you'll have more chance of getting a quieter carriage.

Thank you very much it really helps! We fly into Sydney in the evening so I think it should not be crowded.

Also, we need to go from Circular Quay to Petersham, What train should we take?

What time does train and buses stop running?

Very easy to travel from Circular Quay to Petersham. This website is good for planning train travel in Sydney: https://transportnsw.info/

Petersham is on the Inner West Line. Trains usually run until around midnight and then are replaced by night buses after that.

It looks like there's an additional airport fee. Am I reading that right? If so, links like a taxi would be cheaper for 2 people. We're also flying into SYD and heading toward Circular Quay next month. I'm confused about the airport fee, though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like there's an additional airport fee. Am I reading that right? If so, links like a taxi would be cheaper for 2 people. We're also flying into SYD and heading toward Circular Quay next month. I'm confused about the airport fee, though.

Yes, it costs $17 pp rail fare (including airport gate fee), from airport to city.

Taxi wouldn't be cheaper, but could be more convenient. There are also shuttles from the airport to hotels.

Yes, it costs $17 pp rail fare (including airport gate fee), from airport to city.

Taxi wouldn't be cheaper, but could be more convenient. There are also shuttles from the airport to hotels.

Thanks. We're arriving at 730pm, by the time we get thru customs/immigration I'm guessing it may be closer to 830pm by the time we get to the train. Shouldn't be too crowded at that time. We're staying at Holiday Inn Old Sydney at the Rocks. Hoping it will be easy to find (walking) from the train station at Circular Quay.

Thank you so much for all the info. I also have one more question. We are taking a tour to the Blue Mountains on Grayline. The bus terminal is across the Syndey Aquarium. If we are coming from Petersham on the train, where should we get off at? Is the Town Station close by? And one last one on this thread, We need to get to White Bay Cruise Terminal on a Sunday. What trains should we take from Petersham? Thank you everyone for your input!

Thank you so much for all the info. I also have one more question. We are taking a tour to the Blue Mountains on Grayline. The bus terminal is across the Syndey Aquarium. If we are coming from Petersham on the train, where should we get off at? Is the Town Station close by? And one last one on this thread, We need to get to White Bay Cruise Terminal on a Sunday. What trains should we take from Petersham? Thank you everyone for your input!

For the Aquarium Town Hall or Wynyard would be best I think.

No train to anywhere near White Bay I'm afraid, so probably Central and a taxi or Wynyard and the Ferry.

Thanks. We're arriving at 730pm, by the time we get thru customs/immigration I'm guessing it may be closer to 830pm by the time we get to the train. Shouldn't be too crowded at that time. We're staying at Holiday Inn Old Sydney at the Rocks. Hoping it will be easy to find (walking) from the train station at Circular Quay.

When you get off the train the Ferry terminals will be in front of you, to the left you will see the Overseas Passenger terminal, head that way, HI is on George Street almost directly opposite the terminal, maybe a 19 min walk at most.

When you get off the train the Ferry terminals will be in front of you, to the left you will see the Overseas Passenger terminal, head that way, HI is on George Street almost directly opposite the terminal, maybe a 19 min walk at most.

Thanks![emoji847]

There are always a lot of people around Circular Quay, so feels safe after dark.

Don't like travelling on the train from Sydney Airport to Circular Quay. So over being charged a fortune to travel a few stops and having to pay much more than regular commuters. Then if it happens to be peak hour you can hardly fit on with your luggage and are glared at by some people for taking up more room. It is supposed to be an airport train so cater for people with luggage. We should have priority at the rate we are having to pay. Rant over.

Hey Cathy...we will be doing the same trip from airport to HI Old Sydney in January. We found a site called jayride.com which will book shuttles from the airport directly to the hotel. The cost is very similar to riding the train (for us about $4 more) but eliminates the hassle of fighting the possible crush of passengers and hefting our luggage on and off and then walking to the hotel. Admittedly, the walk to the hotel is the least of our concerns, but after hauling luggage on & off trains all through Japan we decided the extra few dollars were worth not having to do that in Australia! :D

Hey Cathy...we will be doing the same trip from airport to HI Old Sydney in January. We found a site called jayride.com which will book shuttles from the airport directly to the hotel. The cost is very similar to riding the train (for us about $4 more) but eliminates the hassle of fighting the possible crush of passengers and hefting our luggage on and off and then walking to the hotel. Admittedly, the walk to the hotel is the least of our concerns, but after hauling luggage on & off trains all through Japan we decided the extra few dollars were worth not having to do that in Australia! :D

Thanks. I'll check that out. I found 2 other shuttles as well. After thinking about how we're going to feel after such a long flight, a shuttle sounds much better! One that I'm looking at redy2go.com, looks good, but says we need to call them from the airport. We won't have a cell phone we can use, so not sure what the option there would be. I will check out jayride!

Thanks. I'll check that out. I found 2 other shuttles as well. After thinking about how we're going to feel after such a long flight, a shuttle sounds much better! One that I'm looking at redy2go.com, looks good, but says we need to call them from the airport. We won't have a cell phone we can use, so not sure what the option there would be. I will check out jayride!

I used to always take a shuttle to and from the airport to Potts Point and enjoyed the service. Just be aware that you may be taken on a cooks tour of the CBD en route to the airport, to pick up other passengers.

Now I always take the train, as I stay in the suburbs, where there is no shuttle service.

Redy2go operate every 30 minutes from the airport, do have agents on site, and you can also call from public phones at the airport if it came down to it. Shouldn't be a problem if you wish to go with them.

I used to always take a shuttle to and from the airport to Potts Point and enjoyed the service. Just be aware that you may be taken on a cooks tour of the CBD en route to the airport, to pick up other passengers.

I enjoyed that trip many times on the AirportExpress. Reliable, fast and you didn't wind up with massive unexpected detours.

Unfortunately like much of public transport under the current government mindset, it's been gotten rid of/sold off.