Tipping for Excursions

stl9092

How much do you tip for excursions, assuming that you enjoyed it and the guide did a good job?

Do you tip differently if you are part of a large group, small group or on a private tour?

I tried searching all of Cruise Critic and got differing answers, so I thought I would ask the Oceania pros.

Thank you

I base my tip on the duration of the tour and my overall impression of the guide's responsibilities and quality as it's ending. I've typically given between $5 per person (spouse and me) for something lasting a couple of hours and where the guide had little to do to $20 per person for a 8-hour tour. I don't think I've ever given more than $20 per person.

Many people don't tip at all. It's kind of fun to sit on the balcony and watch as tour buses disgorge their passengers and observe various avoidance behaviors from people who don't want to tip!

When booking a private tour, be sure to look at the tipping policy. We have used Tours By Locals a few times and they have (or had at least - not sure if it's changed) a "no tipping" policy. Our first couple of times we tried to tip and both tour guides politely declined to accept. After that we didn't offer tips and each tour guide we encountered graciously thanked us for our participation and left us without making us feel as we should have tipped. When you're used to tipping it can feel very awkward.

We tip, on an Oceania tour in Europe (can't say for other places) around 10euros pp for the guide, a coule of Euros Pp for the driver. IF the guide was good same for the driver. Otherwise roughly half that OR nothing.

Private tour - assuming all went as planned - 10/15% of the total to the guide. 10 Euros ro the driver.

Do you tip differently if the private guide onws the business or if they are working for someone else? We once had a private guide whose business it was, he charged a lot which was fine and agreed to and worth it, he did a great job, but I did not see any reason to tip him more than the agreed amount and he got very upset.

The rule I have always heard (in the U.S.) is that you don't tip the owner of the shop, whatever it is.

As far as tipping in general, I see that some here tip more richly than we usually do although we always give the guide and driver what we see as a fair amount. It does depend on the service provided. And yes, we tip more richly on a private tour than we do on a ship's tour.

When we are a group that I have arranged, I ask people to include their tip in the final fee -- and people always have.

It IS embarrassing to see people just stiff the tour guides and their drivers.

Mura

I base my tip on the duration of the tour and my overall impression of the guide's responsibilities and quality as it's ending. I've typically given between $5 per person (spouse and me) for something lasting a couple of hours and where the guide had little to do to $20 per person for a 8-hour tour. I don't think I've ever given more than $20 per person.

Many people don't tip at all. It's kind of fun to sit on the balcony and watch as tour buses disgorge their passengers and observe various avoidance behaviors from people who don't want to tip!

I am with MarkieMark

It IS embarrassing to see people just stiff the tour guides and their drivers.

Mura

Agreed! Had that happen on a private tour I arranged, needless to say that couple would never be allowed again to join one of my groups!

Joe

Joe, I never saw non-tippers on our private tours that I set up. And I agree, if I were to do so -- that would be the last time those people were on one of my tours. In our experience, these were always on ship's tours.

Mura

When booking a private tour, be sure to look at the tipping policy. We have used Tours By Locals a few times and they have (or had at least - not sure if it's changed) a "no tipping" policy. Our first couple of times we tried to tip and both tour guides politely declined to accept. After that we didn't offer tips and each tour guide we encountered graciously thanked us for our participation and left us without making us feel as we should have tipped. When you're used to tipping it can feel very awkward.

Maybe you know how it feels when you're not used to tipping and people are standing holding their hand out.

Do you tip differently if the private guide onws the business or if they are working for someone else? We once had a private guide whose business it was, he charged a lot which was fine and agreed to and worth it, he did a great job, but I did not see any reason to tip him more than the agreed amount and he got very upset.

Yet the crew should get tipped more than the agreed amount, it all gets stranger and stranger how you decide who should and shouldn't get tips.

Maybe you know how it feels when you're not used to tipping and people are standing holding their hand out.

I'm from the US so I've lived in a tipping culture all my life.

But I also make sure I brush up on local customs whenever I travel. Just because one is unfamiliar with something doesn't mean that one can't learn and adapt.

We always tip the driver the same as the guide....they got us there safely with their driving skills![/quote

Can't say there is anything wrong with that, but often tip size includes consideration of the provider's training and education level; thus many tour groups recommend that the tour guide receive the largest tip, an assistant tour guide a much smaller tip and the driver less still (assuming they all perform to or above expectations). In many countries all 3 largely depend on tips for their living.

When you book a tour on a cruise ship the ship usually retains 65% to 70% of the tour cost leaving a small amount for the tour company; individual tour providers then are often dependent on tips for a living.

When you book a tour on a cruise ship the ship usually retains 65% to 70% of the tour cost leaving a small amount for the tour company; individual tour providers then are often dependent on tips for a living.

I'd be curious where you got this information. Did you work in the industry? Did the Destinations Manager share this information with you?

I know they get a profitable cut, but I would doubt that it's that much of the fare.

I'd be curious where you got this information. Did you work in the industry? Did the Destinations Manager share this information with you?

I know they get a profitable cut, but I would doubt that it's that much of the fare.

I received this information some years ago from tour providers and industry employees on several cruise lines in my previous period of active cruising, in the late nineties and early oughts; if there has been a sea change in that figure since I've not seen or heard of it. The cruise lines pick their partners and given their economic power can be dictatorial. If someone has more recent info I'd welcome it.