Random question...

I searched for an answer before I thought about posting to ask.

I have no idea how to find out the answer. Hopefully someone will know...

In a guarantee Ocean View, category i, how wide are the closet doors? Anthem of the Seas deck 3.

I am looking at over-the-door pocket organizers to try to help my husband not to spread out too much lol. He's a super bad spreader. He takes over the whole side of the cabin with the couch and seating area. I clean up my things 2 or 3 times a day ANF try to tidy his stuff... But it's like trying to stop a storm surge... it's inevitable. He spreads faster than I can tidy.

I wonder if these would fit over the door of the closet... 19" wide.

https://www.fivebelow.com/24-pocket-over-the-door-organizer-19in-x-58in-af558f.html

I want to bring 3 of these for each of us, they are lightweight and collapse. 1 for the vanity/desk, 1 for the bathroom, one for the bedside shelf.

https://www.fivebelow.com/room/storage-and-organization/metallic-canvas-bin-11-5x7-5.html

And maybe this for make-up/ jewelry

https://www.fivebelow.com/33-pocket-hanging-jewelry-organizer-17-5in-x-27in-df236e.html

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I searched for an answer before I thought about posting to ask.

I have no idea how to find out the answer. Hopefully someone will know...

In a guarantee Ocean View, category i, how wide are the closet doors? Anthem of the Seas deck 3.

I am looking at over-the-door pocket organizers to try to help my husband not to spread out too much lol. He's a super bad spreader. He takes over the whole side of the cabin with the couch and seating area. I clean up my things 2 or 3 times a day ANF try to tidy his stuff... But it's like trying to stop a storm surge... it's inevitable. He spreads faster than I can tidy.

I wonder if these would fit over the door of the closet... 19" wide.

https://www.fivebelow.com/24-pocket-over-the-door-organizer-19in-x-58in-af558f.html

I want to bring 3 of these for each of us, they are lightweight and collapse. 1 for the vanity/desk, 1 for the bathroom, one for the bedside shelf.

https://www.fivebelow.com/room/storage-and-organization/metallic-canvas-bin-11-5x7-5.html

And maybe this for make-up/ jewelry

https://www.fivebelow.com/33-pocket-hanging-jewelry-organizer-17-5in-x-27in-df236e.html

Is this your first cruise? The staterooms are not big.

The 24 pocket may not work, too many hooks. Just keep jewels in travel case. You really don’t want them out on display.

I was thinking of a locking travel case for jewelry . The small one for jewelry would probably go in the closet on the rod, they one is meant to ajng like a clokthes hanger and not over a door. The 24 pocket on is 19" wide. I k ow the room is small. This is my third cruise.

Not a big fan of over the door organizers, unless for multiple people in a cabin. If your husband won't put stuff away in the cabin, what makes you think he will put in the organizers?

A couple of small baskets might be useful to keep small things together on the vanity. Magnetic hooks also to hang hats, lightweight items, on walls.

I'm going to go to 5 below to get a lot of this stuff. My hope for the over the door organizer would be that I have somewhere I can easily put his sundries and not just carelessly throw them into the suitcase or what ever. On our first cruise, we didn't need hooks so much... But yeah, small baskets would be nice for my makeup and what not...

I bring my makeup organizer...it's "sterlite" container with 3 drawers....you can buy them at Walmart....cheap. Just put a large rubber band around it to keep the drawers closed while traveling. I use it at home, and just take it with me when traveling. No "forgetting" some makeup...it's all there! What I use daily I have on every trip! It's not too big to stick in your suitcase!

I bring my makeup organizer...it's "sterlite" container with 3 drawers....you can buy them at Walmart....cheap. Just put a large rubber band around it to keep the drawers closed while traveling. I use it at home, and just take it with me when traveling. No "forgetting" some makeup...it's all there! What I use daily I have on every trip! It's not too big to stick in your suitcase!

Hahaha i used to use one of those and it was organized, but i would always let my system eventually go by the the wayside and it just became junk. I have 3 small shaving travel cases that I keep different styles of makeup in... like my eye makeup is separate from the foundation, blush, highlighter and primer. One is often my touch up stuff that I bring with me everywhere. Any who... I have 72 days or so to figure it all out. My husband is more the concern than myself hahaha

I would do some searching on Anthem cabins, they have different storage than the older ships. Anthem has two closets that are on either side of the bed or the couch, depending on the cabin. The nightstands are tiny, narrow things that barely hold anything. The phone takes up almost the whole thing. The vanity is actually a table that can be moved to use as a table at the couch, there is no coffee table. We really find the Anthem cabins to be laid out better than other ships and have ample places to put stuff away.

Edit to add:

This video will give you an idea of the layout and storage.

Go to the dollar tree-everything $1.00- buy some collapsible baskets for the spreader- or take cheap reusable bags like you use at grocery stores-throw his stuff in there in the room when you straighten up- I also love the magnets-buy heavy duty ones- can hang up the bags on them-OR- just apologize to your stateroom attendant in advance-about your husbands habits- I am sure he/she has dealt with worse-

I would just make him bring less stuff!

It's not even the amount of stuff... he'll lay 3 shirts across the couch and leave out his dress shirts and dress shoes and leave the suitcase in front if the balcony door... He just lacks organizational skills of tangible items lol... I mean he doesn't bring more than a slightly larger than carry on size suitcase. It just all gets spread out so he can see it all and reach for it easily instead of rummaging through the suitcase to find his shaving kit or what ever... hence the over the door pocket organizer... vertical spreading on the door instead of horizontal across the room hahaha. I've given up on training him. I just try to adapt.

Go to the dollar tree-everything $1.00- buy some collapsible baskets for the spreader- or take cheap reusable bags like you use at grocery stores-throw his stuff in there in the room when you straighten up- I also love the magnets-buy heavy duty ones- can hang up the bags on them-OR- just apologize to your stateroom attendant in advance-about your husbands habits- I am sure he/she has dealt with worse-

I am in love with these. For $5... they fold up and collapse and can be smushed into the nightstand cubby. Light weight yet durable and small...

It's not even the amount of stuff... he'll lay 3 shirts across the couch and leave out his dress shirts and dress shoes and leave the suitcase in front if the balcony door... He just lacks organizational skills of tangible items lol... I mean he doesn't bring more than a slightly larger than carry on size suitcase. It just all gets spread out so he can see it all and reach for it easily instead of rummaging through the suitcase to find his shaving kit or what ever... hence the over the door pocket organizer... vertical spreading on the door instead of horizontal across the room hahaha. I've given up on training him. I just try to adapt.

So sorry for your situation. And how many years have you been married. As the saying goes, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Good luck. Why do you continue to cruise if you know ahead of time what he will do. Give your husband an ultimatum: "keep your stuff in the suitecase or this will be the last cruise you take with him."

So sorry for your situation. And how many years have you been married. As the saying goes, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Good luck. Why do you continue to cruise if you know ahead of time what he will do. Give your husband an ultimatum: "keep your stuff in the suitecase or this will be the last cruise you take with him."

Who would choose not to cruise hahaha? I can deal with the spreading issue at home or on a ship... I'll take the ship! I have a system at home that keeps him organized. I am developing a ship-based plan 😜.

We've been married 4 1/2 years. I pick my battles. 24 years as a consummate bachelor in the US Navy can't be undone in 4 years hahaha.

Who would choose not to cruise hahaha? I can deal with the spreading issue at home or on a ship... I'll take the ship! I have a system at home that keeps him organized. I am developing a ship-based plan 😜.

We've been married 4 1/2 years. I pick my battles. 24 years as a consummate bachelor in the US Navy can't be undone in 4 years hahaha.

Best of luck in finding that "ship-based" solution to resolve the spreading issue.

My recommendation is to get an organizer with CLEAR pockets instead of solid colors. If your "spreader" likes to SEE his stuff, he won't like putting stuff in pockets he can't see through -- he'll just pull everything out trying to find what he's looking for. You may have to spend a couple extra bucks to get a clear one at Walmart, but it will be worth it if he will actually *use* it. (I use the outside of the bathroom door to hang an organizer instead of the closet, which has sliding doors.)

Hand lotion, sunscreen, hair brushes, sunglasses, chargers for phones/tablets, tickets for shore excursions, SeaPass/lanyard, wallet, phone, camera, watch... if you make labels for things (just on a piece of paperstock that you drop into the clear pockets), it can help reinforce the concept, too. One issue for clutterbugs can be that they don't know where to put stuff (or the designated spot is not convenient), so they put stuff where they can see it / get to it easily. With a labelled spot that is out in the open, there is no guess-work.

I recommend NOT putting permanent labels on the pockets (like stickers, etc.), until you've used the system at least once. You may find that it's better to have some things up high and some things down low once you start using the system, and having movable labels makes it easier to adapt as needed.

You can also use the same organizer for every trip (including land-based vacations) so you ALWAYS know where to find the phone charger, the sunscreen, the sunglasses, etc. This consistency will also encourage compliance by your clutterbug -- heck, you may want to use the organizer at home, too!

My recommendation is to get an organizer with CLEAR pockets instead of solid colors. If your "spreader" likes to SEE his stuff, he won't like putting stuff in pockets he can't see through -- he'll just pull everything out trying to find what he's looking for. You may have to spend a couple extra bucks to get a clear one at Walmart, but it will be worth it if he will actually *use* it. (I use the outside of the bathroom door to hang an organizer instead of the closet, which has sliding doors.)

Hand lotion, sunscreen, hair brushes, sunglasses, chargers for phones/tablets, tickets for shore excursions, SeaPass/lanyard, wallet, phone, camera, watch... if you make labels for things (just on a piece of paperstock that you drop into the clear pockets), it can help reinforce the concept, too. One issue for clutterbugs can be that they don't know where to put stuff (or the designated spot is not convenient), so they put stuff where they can see it / get to it easily. With a labelled spot that is out in the open, there is no guess-work.

I recommend NOT putting permanent labels on the pockets (like stickers, etc.), until you've used the system at least once. You may find that it's better to have some things up high and some things down low once you start using the system, and having movable labels makes it easier to adapt as needed.

You can also use the same organizer for every trip (including land-based vacations) so you ALWAYS know where to find the phone charger, the sunscreen, the sunglasses, etc. This consistency will also encourage compliance by your clutterbug -- heck, you may want to use the organizer at home, too!

This makes me want to make some myself with a clear shower curtain and a hot glue gun (or something)

Maybe this glue and a shower curtain?

I'm creative

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-1-fl-oz-Vinyl-Fabric-and-Plastic-Adhesive-1360694/202487188

Edited by Freethinker1602
Link

This makes me want to make some myself with a clear shower curtain and a hot glue gun (or something)

Maybe this glue and a shower curtain?

I'm creative

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-1-fl-oz-Vinyl-Fabric-and-Plastic-Adhesive-1360694/202487188

Or you could just spend the nine bucks and get this one at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Supreme-White-Over-the-Door-Shoe-Organizer/37389035

Or you could just spend the nine bucks and get this one at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Supreme-White-Over-the-Door-Shoe-Organizer/37389035

I might buy one from like bed bath and beyond or something. I detest Wal-Mart and haven't shopped there in 4 years. They are bad for the economy. They don't pay their employees a liveable wage and purposefully change their schedule regularly to make them dependent on their wages. They also have merchandise that is made with less durable materials and market it as the same thing you would buy from a slightly more expensive store. Case in point: tires. Their tires separate away from the rim of a wheel and will blow out. You could buy a tire from the same manufacturer (Dunlop, Pirelli etc) at your local NTB or wherever and it would be $5 per tire more and would be more durable. One of my last purchases at Wal-Mart was a set of 4 Good Year tires that started going bad in a year (they were supposed to last for 5). No company is perfect, but I really draw the line at Wal-Mart.

Not what we were talking about... But I see the organizer type thing... looks helpful.

I was thinking of making pocket columns that are a single column so that I can hang a couple of them across to fit the width if any door as needed... or I could just cut up one if those organizers hahaha

Thanks for the ideas.

I use those bins from the dollar store. They fold flat, even take them on land trips. I use one in the bathroom under the sink and on shelves in the closet to hold smaller stuff. I also found on Amazon a mesh 9 pocket organizer that could be used in the shower. I hang it on the wall in the cabin with 2 20 lb magnets from home Depot. Great extra storage that's not on the door in my way getting in and out of the room. And you can see what's in the pockets. We get a balcony at the largest so you have to be a little creative to keep down clutter. Cabins are just too small to spread out.