New policies on Royal Caribbean

We are currently on Vision of the Seas. It's an older ship, so I asked if these new policies are RC wide or ship wide and was told, sadly they apply to all:

1. There is a CHARGE for room service

2. Even if you buy beverage packages there is an additional charge for in room sodas

3. There is an up charge for "classic" dining options such as steak in main dining room

4. Hair conditioner and hand cream are no longer furnished in bathrooms

We have always believed RC a good value for the money. These nickel and dime policies will make us rethink and will likely cause us to book with a different cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are currently on Vision of the Seas. It's an older ship, so I asked if these new policies are RC wide or ship wide and was told, sadly they apply to all:

1. There is a CHARGE for room service. Recent new policy

2. Even if you buy beverage packages there is an additional charge for in room sodas. Not new, always been this way.

3. There is an up charge for "classic" dining options such as steak in main dining room. Not new, been this way at least 5 years. They still offer a "free" steak option in the Main Dining Room.

4. Hair conditioner and hand cream are no longer furnished in bathrooms. Not new, been this way for non-suites as long as I can remember.

We have always believed RC a good value for the money. These nickel and dime policies will make us rethink and will likely cause us to book with a different cruise line.

See above for notes on what is new and what is not.

Yes, as stated none of these are new, and many, if not most members do know about them. I'm only sorry you didn't find Cruise Critic earlier, for you could have found out much more and known that the points you listed are not only valid for Royal Caribbean, but for many mainstream cruise lines.

I hope you'll give RCI another try, perhaps on a newer ship. They have a great product. :)

2. Even if you buy beverage packages there is an additional charge for in room sodas

3. There is an up charge for "classic" dining options such as steak in main dining room

1. this is fairly new, but was widely talked about here. I can see the complaint, but it also came with a much better selection, and most reports say faster service.

2. That makes sense, as bottles or cans of pop are not included in the package, and is well documented. While there may be places that give you those free, it is not really usually free, as you pay more to go to those options.

3. The charge is for items from the specialty restaurants, and are optional. We never felt compelled to buy them, we just ignored them.

4. Not sure on those, as I don't use and my wife always brings her own shampoo, conditioner and lotion when on vacation because she wants certain brands.

If these make you choose another line, then great, but I think you will find it tough to find all of this included for the same price of entry. There are all in-inclusive lines, but they are way more expensive whenever I have looked. In the end, they either raise the initial cost and make everybody pay for something they may not want, or keep the initial cost down and then charge people that think it is worth it to pay more.

It's new since our last RC cruise and used to not be industry standard. We haven't taken ocean cruise in last 12 months. Last 2 cruises were river cruises. This has been rude awakening.

3 of the 4 things you listed have been policy for longer than your time away. Perhaps you just didn't notice until the more recent (but still several months) change to room service.

There are few "industry standards" left as lines vie for differentiation.

Now that you've been awakened, what will you be doing about it?

The "mini bar" has NEVER been included. There has been a room service charge for quite a while....started out as a "late night" charge, and then went to a permanent, and higher fee.

They started adding "specialty" restaurants in the 90's....and when they saw that folks were willing to pay more on top of what they paid for the cruise, they added more and more and raised the prices.

I always bring the shampoo/conditioner/lotions, etc....that work for me.

Celebrity has no charge for room service unless it's the middle of the night, no upcharges in the MDR for the "classic items" (though there are plenty of other specialty choices you can pay more for) and nice conditioner and lotion in every room. Soda in the mini fridge is for charge, but you can always bring one back to the room. All the lines are cutting back, but not all have made all of those changes.

On a recent Oasis sailing, room service continental breakfast was complimentary, all other items were a flat charge. I think the wording confuses many as I met a woman the last evening who thought anything ordered from room service, even coffee and pastry, had the service fee.

Are your sure it was for the classics? On every RCCL ship I've been on there is a filet, lobster and surf & turf that has an upcharge. The classics - such as steak, chicken or salmon that are offered every night were at NO additional charge.

As noted, with the exception of room service ( other than continental breakfast), all the other examples you noted have been in place for a while.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise. It can be frustrating when one is unaware of current practices.

M

Wait, so there's not even the dispenser in the shower with shampoo and shower gel anymore? Or is it just the conditioner that's not there anymore? I'm not brand loyal when it comes to hair products, so I don't usually bring any and wonder if I need to now.

No. Think talking about the little bottles you get a DIamond Plus or in Grand Suites and up

Celebrity has no charge for room service unless it's the middle of the night, no upcharges in the MDR for the "classic items" (though there are plenty of other specialty choices you can pay more for) and nice conditioner and lotion in every room. Soda in the mini fridge is for charge, but you can always bring one back to the room. All the lines are cutting back, but not all have made all of those changes.

It's only the specialty items you pay for on RCI, too. You can free get steak, and lobster on formal night. Or you can pay for Chops steak or Maine lobster any night.

Your comment about soda - will they give you a can to take back to your room on other lines? On RCI all beverage packages are only fountain soda

No one will care if you book somewhere else, bye

I don’t think it was rude at all, if petty little things like the aforementioned concerns are enough to make someone really consider going to another line then so be it. Who doesn’t use soap and conditioner at home? Do you need to take a cruise to get some soap? I bring everything that I will need and all of my toiletries are dispensed into smaller containers.

We had not cruised for about a year so were also surprised by the changes. May I add:

1. Chops went from $25 to $45

2. Giovannis is now $35

3. Very little variety in Cafe Promenade (same choices every day)

4. Deposit on pool towels is back.

5. Staffing has been cut. No assistant waiters in MDR or specialty restaurants. Since tips haven't changed doesn't that mean that tips have doubled? (Many cases this week when the waiters couldn't keep up so service suffers. )

So I agree. The prices are higher and the perks are reduced.