Anyone else completely new to this forum January 2017, cruising April

darbs7

Hello all. I lost 75 pounds from September of 2010 to February of 2011. I kept it off until August of 2015. I have put 46 of those pounds back on in the last 1.5 years...totally bummed after maintaining over 4 years.

I started January 2nd. I am cruising on April 17th. I am hoping to take off at least 30 of those pounds by then. I would love some company along the way. anyone else in that time frame?

Congrats for what you did accomplish, that's great!

I just started my work out today -- Cruising at the end of May, so almost the same time frame as you!

My goal is 20lbs - I tried to make a bet with my bf to wear one of those European swim shorts if I made my goal but he wasn't willing to make the deal. I can only assume that's because he's confident I can do it! LOL

Congrats for what you did accomplish, that's great!

I just started my work out today -- Cruising at the end of May, so almost the same time frame as you!

My goal is 20lbs - I tried to make a bet with my bf to wear one of those European swim shorts if I made my goal but he wasn't willing to make the deal. I can only assume that's because he's confident I can do it! LOL

yes, my hubby would not be caught dead in those trunks.

Well here's to good luck for both of us

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter & I are cruising the end of May and I'm hoping to lose 25 lbs before then. I'm doing Weight Watchers and have lost 11 lbs since the beginning of January. I'm also wanting to lose the weight to help with some health issues. I'm logging everything I eat and exercising more. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been around cc for a long time but this is my first post in this forum.

darbs7 I'm sure the weight changes have been frustrating but good for you for losing that much to begin with. Good news if you did it once, you can do it again.

You have about 10 weeks to go. If you are really strict, you can drop 2 pounds per week which would be awesome but even losing 10-15 is a step in the right direction.

I have 5 more to go to my goal weight before my upcoming Hawaiian special birthday vacation but I have to tone up, especially the stomach. The goal is a bikini on Waikiki for my big day. I'll take any support & encouragement I can get.

FWIW, I lost 20 pounds using an app called http://www.myfitnesspal.com It's not about depriving yourself. It is about accountability.

I'm more of a lurker but, figured I'd chime in.

I had started last May to lose weight for our upcoming March 2017 cruise. I had lost some weight by counting calories. Well, I stopped counting calories and the weight crept back on - after Christmas I was within a pound or two of my starting weight. So, back at it.

I'm down a total of 5 lbs. from my starting weight last May. I would like to be down another 10 but, with 45 days to cruising (who's counting?) that might be pushing it a little.

I will be happy if I just continue to go down no matter how much and not up. I really just want my summer clothes that fit so well last summer to fit me on the cruise (amazing what 10 lbs can do to the fit of clothing).

I do know that regardless of my weight I will have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
I cruise May 21 and I have lost about 34 pounds since Sept. The past 2 months have just been fluctuating the same 4 pounds. Now that holidays are over, I'm shooting for another 36 before the cruise.

Welcome aboard!!!

I'm more of a lurker but, figured I'd chime in.

I had started last May to lose weight for our upcoming March 2017 cruise. I had lost some weight by counting calories. Well, I stopped counting calories and the weight crept back on - after Christmas I was within a pound or two of my starting weight. So, back at it.

I'm down a total of 5 lbs. from my starting weight last May. I would like to be down another 10 but, with 45 days to cruising (who's counting?) that might be pushing it a little.

I will be happy if I just continue to go down no matter how much and not up. I really just want my summer clothes that fit so well last summer to fit me on the cruise (amazing what 10 lbs can do to the fit of clothing).

I do know that regardless of my weight I will have a great time.

WElcome aboard!!!

Update...so 5 full weeks in and down 19 pounds!!!! 9 more weeks until my cruise hoping to lose between 20-25 before then. I just did a last minute 4 day cruise last week and lost 4 pounds that week while cruising...walked 8 miles every morning...had a protein bar for breakfast, salad with chicken for lunch and then meat and veggies and salad for dinner with a ton of water and no alcohol (I was with my mom and sister who don't drink)!

I'm new to these boards, and in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. I slimmed all the way down to my idea weight but then put it back on (even more than you did) after a couple of years, in large part due to the fact that I developed osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and working out was painful and I didn't have the energy. But I'm trying to work through the pain, force myself to have the energy I took for granted before by remembering my goal and putting inspirational pictures on the wall (perfectly sculpted WWE superstars!). I started about 2 weeks ago and have exercised every single day, but due to my health issues sometimes I have trouble keeping up. I'm using 2 streaming exercise services: Beachbody and Daily Burn and using a Max Trainer. I LOVE these programs and this machine (highly recommend all three!), but I've come to the realization I need to ramp it up to twice a day instead of once because I don't have the stamina to go more than 20-30 minutes and usually have to use the modifier, so I'm not seeing the results fast enough to meet my goal before the cruise. I'm also dieting, including mostly sushi, yogurt, and other low calorie stuff. I'm tired of wearing shorts and t-shirts to the beach! Hopefully if I change my plan from "work out every day" to "work out an hour a day in two to three installments" I can do it!

Started dieting in August from a really bad place. Down 55 lbs and hoping to lose another 15 by my cruise on April 1st.

I eat healthy, strength train 4 times a week, twice with a trainer and have started training for my first ever 5k which is soon after my cruise return.

I won't be ready for a bikini but a nice tankini will work and I can actually fit in a water slide. So excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Started dieting in August from a really bad place. Down 55 lbs and hoping to lose another 15 by my cruise on April 1st.

I eat healthy, strength train 4 times a week, twice with a trainer and have started training for my first ever 5k which is soon after my cruise return.

I won't be ready for a bikini but a nice tankini will work and I can actually fit in a water slide. So excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use myfitnesspal too! I've lost 41 lbs in a year, but gained 12 back over summer because I quit everything. I've managed to lose those 12 also! I cruise the end of May and would like to be down another 20. Anything in the loss department I'll take.

Good work and can't wait to look better on the beach

I'm new to these boards, and in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. I slimmed all the way down to my idea weight but then put it back on (even more than you did) after a couple of years, in large part due to the fact that I developed osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and working out was painful and I didn't have the energy. But I'm trying to work through the pain, force myself to have the energy I took for granted before by remembering my goal and putting inspirational pictures on the wall (perfectly sculpted WWE superstars!). I started about 2 weeks ago and have exercised every single day, but due to my health issues sometimes I have trouble keeping up. I'm using 2 streaming exercise services: Beachbody and Daily Burn and using a Max Trainer. I LOVE these programs and this machine (highly recommend all three!), but I've come to the realization I need to ramp it up to twice a day instead of once because I don't have the stamina to go more than 20-30 minutes and usually have to use the modifier, so I'm not seeing the results fast enough to meet my goal before the cruise. I'm also dieting, including mostly sushi, yogurt, and other low calorie stuff. I'm tired of wearing shorts and t-shirts to the beach! Hopefully if I change my plan from "work out every day" to "work out an hour a day in two to three installments" I can do it!

Sounds like you are doing great. I am not much of a workout person. I can never commit. I leave for work around 645 am so there isn't time in the morning and get home around 4pm most nights...sometimes later if I have meetings. I don't like organized exercise. I love to walk, golf, hike, kayak, or basically any outdoor activity. Can't wait for longer days and clear streets (expecting 16" more of snow today).

I told my husband we need to be more active. Once I lose the rest of the weight, next goal is to get more physically active

Its a constant battle. Sigh! I lose 15 lbs for the cruise and gain it back....I lose 10 lbs for the next cruise and gain it back!

I was trying WW again but not seeing results as fast as I would like. Next cruise is May 6.....I just bought a box of NutriSystem . It's all the food in one box for 7 days. The last time I did it I lost 6 lbs in a week, but the food is not that great...just OK.

I really want to be down 12-15 lbs by May. It's like another poster said...it's amazing what 10lbs will do as far as your clothes fitting better.

I've been around cc for a long time but this is my first post in this forum.

darbs7 I'm sure the weight changes have been frustrating but good for you for losing that much to begin with. Good news if you did it once, you can do it again.

You have about 10 weeks to go. If you are really strict, you can drop 2 pounds per week which would be awesome but even losing 10-15 is a step in the right direction.

I have 5 more to go to my goal weight before my upcoming Hawaiian special birthday vacation but I have to tone up, especially the stomach. The goal is a bikini on Waikiki for my big day. I'll take any support & encouragement I can get.

FWIW, I lost 20 pounds using an app called http://www.myfitnesspal.com It's not about depriving yourself. It is about accountability.

Congrats, Trish, on your success.

Like you, I have been logging my foods, water intake and weight in MyFitnessPal since last April. My original goal was 20 pounds gone by last September's cruise. Goal met by cutting 500.calories/day as I planned to lose 1 pound per week. While I did return from the cruise with extra weight (8 pounds), I got it off quickly by resuming my pre-cruise regimen. I have taken off a few additional pounds since then and am still logging in MyFitnessPal.

With portion control being a key piece of my puzzle, I have been wearing a Fitbit since I started down this road last April. I also bought a food scale and use it -and measuring cups - to keep the portion sizes where they should be.

I have come to realize that my drinking enough water makes a huge difference as does having a good protein rich breakfast. I am working to reduce my carbs so I now make sandwiches on pita bread rather than 2 slices of bread; this cuts the calories in half. My "go to" breakfast is Greek yoghurt with granola and some berries or other fruit; most recent substitution for berries being dried apricots. Also measure out and carry healthier snacks - string cheese (70 calories), pistachio or almonds, cutie mandarin orange (40 calories), single portion (28 grams) of crackers or chips or raw veggies (baby carrots or celery sticks) so I can munch on something mid morning or mid afternoon. This keeps me from the less desirable treats (cookies and chocolate).

You are so right - accountability is essential. And it is much better to be accountable to one's self. While my husband was the one who threw out the original challenge that we set a goal of losing a pound a week before our last cruise, I did much better than he did because I adopted the Fitbit and MyFitnessPal. He didn't take those steps and the difference in weight loss (or lack of) was apparent.

Bottom line - you have to own your actions. I wish each of us much success on our respective journeys toward better health and healthier weights.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!! Just found your board and am very interested in joining the discussion! DH and I both lost a lot of weight before our last cruise, but it was also our wedding, so we had a lot of incentive. Then after the cruise, the 'honeymoon' didn't really end and we both ended up gaining a lot of weight back. I have been wanting to get back to eating healthier and working out. This weekend we booked both a 4th anniversary cruise and a 5th anniversary cruise for next year! Not wanting our cruise photos to look worse than our wedding photos, I have new incentive to work out!