Are there any tea/coffee making facilities in princess staterooms

happytrish40

Good afternoon cruisers, can you please tell me if there are tea / coffee making facilities in the state rooms. When I booked the agent said there was but reading some of the reviews it does not look it. My husband is British and love his cuppa first thing in the morning :confused:

Is that on top of paying £144 x 2 adults and 1 child gratuity.

Yes. We in the US pay the gratuity as well; you are not singled out.

Mind you, it's not absolutely required to tip for room service. But it's considered a service above and beyond what's covered in the general gratuity pool. No one's going to stand there with their hand out. Up to you to do what you think is right.

I know how the US system works we were in Maryland last August and we stayed at the Hilton.We looked after the Chamber maids daily especially as my daughter was on her monthly and they looked after her. The Hilton never said we have to pay £144 each for three of us. We would go and get it our selves anyway

We have found that coffee/tea room service to be especially efficient and timely.

We always tip $2.00 for the service. Tip is given with a smile.

You can always go to the International Café in the Piazza or go to the buffet and bring tea,coffee,whatever back to the cabin.

This is just my opinion,but it seems to me, that while I am enjoying a costly vacation, an occasional tip is not a sacrifice for me and just may go towards making my vacation a bit more carefree. It may also help the server in some small way.

BTW we are Yanks from New York - would never think not to tip- maybe it is cultural !

Hi Thank you for your reply. I have never been on a cruise. P&O does provide kettles in state rooms. I think it's very British my husband almost died when we were in the states no tea 😊

We tip when we go to restaurants but again when we met with family at a restaurant they put the over $100. In tips and the service was not that special. I think it's expected. I think the cruise industry should pay the staff properly then tips should be given on an individual basis. If we tip everyone on the ship we would be left bare. I already committed our down payment but I will make my mind up if we still want to go

Hi Thank you for your reply. I have never been on a cruise. P&O does provide kettles in state rooms. I think it's very British my husband almost died when we were in the states no tea

We tip when we go to restaurants but again when we met with family at a restaurant they put the over $100. In tips and the service was not that special. I think it's expected. I think the cruise industry should pay the staff properly then tips should be given on an individual basis. If we tip everyone on the ship we would be left bare. I already committed our down payment but I will make my mind up if we still want to go

Yep, all very frustrating for Brits. And for most other nationals.

But that's the way it is in the US - staff are paid a pittance, a basic tip of around 15 percent is for "service" , not for "good service" :rolleyes:.

Look on that, and the daily charge on cruise ships, as WAGES to make it more palatable, then add for excellent service at your own discretion. We've generally found service in the US very good but a couple of occasions we've not tipped at all because the service was diabolical - and we've said so.

Not the right thing to do, but does highlight the shortcomings

You CAN have the daily charge removed. And on sailings from Southampton many do. If you were not made aware of the expectation by the cruise line or T/A then you may want to do the same, but when doing so do make the point that you were unaware of it and that you consider it a hidden charge.

If you booked in full knowledge then by removing it you'll be stiffing the hard-working crew. That's a matter for your own conscience.

When choosing cruises we always factor into cruise prices on

American ships that service charge and the higher on-board costs, including a 15 percent service charge on drinks and some other services. Which is fine if you know about them.

Yes, many many folk - including plenty of Americans - wish that cruise lines would be more up- front about these charges. And simply paying the crew a fair wage and building that into the ticket price is the simple way of doing it.

But that pushes up the Great God, the headline price.

All very 1950's :rolleyes:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yep, all very frustrating for Brits. And for most other nationals.

But that's the way it is in the US - staff are paid a pittance, a basic tip of around 15 percent is for "service" , not for "good service" :rolleyes:.

Look on that, and the daily charge on cruise ships, as WAGES to make it more palatable, then add for excellent service at your own discretion. We've generally found service in the US very good but a couple of occasions we've not tipped at all because the service was diabolical - and we've said so.

Not the right thing to do, but does highlight the shortcomings

JB :)

As far as American tipping rules, I will tip 15-20% for good service, up to 25% for exceptional service, nothing for poor service and $0.02 for horrid service (literally "my two cents").

I do not care what the restaurant pays the workers -- that is between them. If the waiter/waitress cannot provide good service to a customer, then (s)he needs to find a new job anyway.

I have been corrected in other countries in the proper tipping policies for the area, but generally insist that they keep a majority of the tip anyway -- the service always seems a whole lot better in other countries.:(