First ever Cruise... Help advice Please...

ParamedicSailor

Hello fellow shipmates...

So i've booked my first ever cruise 21 days on the Sapphire Princess, Singapore to Singapore...its not until 2019 but i like to plan.

I need as much advice as possible on how to get the most from this and how cruise etiquette works... im concerned about tipping and the additional expenses on board, things like are drinks and gratuities packages worth the price? also money as we stop in a lot of different ports do i need to be taking various different currencies...

I know nothing about cruising and as you can see im getting quite confused and worried ive bitten off more than i chew so need advice..

Please Help.....

You must ensure you have the correct visa's for each country you visit. It's the passengers responsibility to have correct documentation, Princess won't tell you what you need.

Even if you don't intend getting off at a port you still need the correct documents for that country. You could be denied boarding. You will also need to ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months post cruise, a lot of countries require this.

So firstly I would spend some time on each countries government website searching for tourist visas. If your travelling companions don't have the same passport as you their requirements could be different from yours.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You must ensure you have the correct visa's for each country you visit. It's the passengers responsibility to have correct documentation, Princess won't tell you what you need.

Even if you don't intend getting off at a port you still need the correct documents for that country. You could be denied boarding. You will also need to ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months post cruise, a lot of countries require this.

So firstly I would spend some time on each countries government website searching for tourist visas. If your travelling companions don't have the same passport as you their requirements could be different from yours.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thank you for this.... i thought all that would be organised for me.. great piece of advice.....

You will want to check with the cruise line to see if the visas are organized for you. They might indeed be. This is where you should start because if you just start with the consulates that doesn't tell you whether or not the cruise line will obtain visas for you on board the ship.

Some cruise lines are better then others when it comes to this. Again, I would start with them.

Keith

Hi - welcome to cruise critic.

I dont think you have bitten off more than you can chew but maybe

you need to break it down into smaller portions. (does that mean you have :)

First thing - you dont say when your cruise is.

Second thing would be to find the Roll Call for your cruise.

Maybe there isnt one yet but without a date I cant check

Third - use the "seach thread" but just enter one or two words.

The Roll call will have people who are asking and people who are answering your type of question.

Dont ask too many questions at the same time - you have at least over a year so 1 a week would be better?

Once you find your way around the site you may not even have to ask - the information will be there BUT check if it is still valid

. im concerned about tipping

basically forget about it , (unless you can pay them up front and fix the price now for 2019. ) they will just be charged to your on board account XX dollars per person per day-You do of course need to budget for it .

and the additional expenses on board, things like are drinks and gratuities packages worth the price?

Impossible to say as we dont know what or how much you drink.

There are hundreds of threads on here just read a few of them and you will soon get the idea.

Most packages are currently not worth it unless you drink 5/6 alcoholic drinks per person per day

also money as we stop in a lot of different ports do i need to be taking various different currencies...

We dont know - depends on where and what you want to buy most ports have adapted to cruise passengers and will accept dollars but you are likely to get a poor exchange rate and the change in the local currency.

If you ask a question just think - if I were to try and answer this have I given enough information.

You have said you are going to Singapore in 2019 but we dont know where else or when.

Hope that helps a bit - to find iformation on ports I use whatsinport.com

just google whatsinport singapore and it should come up then do the same for your other ports.

A list of all the forums on here see here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Look for Asia in ports of call

Finally - add you country to your profile You could get answers from the US that might be wrong in the UK or visa versa

Hi - welcome to cruise critic.

I dont think you have bitten off more than you can chew but maybe

you need to break it down into smaller portions. (does that mean you have :)

First thing - you dont say when your cruise is.

Second thing would be to find the Roll Call for your cruise.

Maybe there isnt one yet but without a date I cant check

Third - use the "seach thread" but just enter one or two words.

The Roll call will have people who are asking and people who are answering your type of question.

Dont ask too many questions at the same time - you have at least over a year so 1 a week would be better?

Once you find your way around the site you may not even have to ask - the information will be there BUT check if it is still valid

. im concerned about tipping

basically forget about it , (unless you can pay them up front and fix the price now for 2019. ) they will just be charged to your on board account XX dollars per person per day-You do of course need to budget for it .

and the additional expenses on board, things like are drinks and gratuities packages worth the price?

Impossible to say as we dont know what or how much you drink.

There are hundreds of threads on here just read a few of them and you will soon get the idea.

Most packages are currently not worth it unless you drink 5/6 alcoholic drinks per person per day

also money as we stop in a lot of different ports do i need to be taking various different currencies...

We dont know - depends on where and what you want to buy most ports have adapted to cruise passengers and will accept dollars but you are likely to get a poor exchange rate and the change in the local currency.

If you ask a question just think - if I were to try and answer this have I given enough information.

You have said you are going to Singapore in 2019 but we dont know where else or when.

Hope that helps a bit - to find iformation on ports I use whatsinport.com

just google whatsinport singapore and it should come up then do the same for your other ports.

A list of all the forums on here see here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Look for Asia in ports of call

Finally - add you country to your profile You could get answers from the US that might be wrong in the UK or visa versa

Wow thank you - so much information ive missed that will help me find the information i need.... ill post some more information ASAP...

Welcome aboard.

One thing I like to do is check out each port in Google Earth. A "birds eye" view can give lots of info on what's in the area of where the ship docks.

Work up a bit of a budget for shopping, etc. in the ports so you have an idea of how much cash you might need. I prefer to use cash in port but credit cards are ok too. We get our cash ahead of time from our bank so we don't have to mess with ATM's. And be sure to let your bank / credit card companies know that you'll be traveling.

In countries where we don't speak the language we prefer to use ship's tours for excursions. Or you can do-it-yourself if you're comfortable with that.

Bring along any over the counter meds you generally use. The ship has a little store with that kind of stuff but it's expensive and probably wouldn't be the brand you like.

I'm sure you'll have a great time and it won't be your last cruise.

You are overthinking this! A cruise is a VACATION! That's all! There is no "right or wrong" way to take a vacation.

Included in your fare is the dining room, the buffet and numerous other small eating venues. You may eat as much as you like in the included venues...no worries! There are "specialty" restaurants which require an 'uncharge" to dine there. You may find you have no need of those "extra fee" places....many people NEVER go to them!

Included drinks are : Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade or flavored water, milk and juices during breakfast. If you can "get by" with those things mainly, you don't need a "package"...if you want a drink (either alcohol or soda) now and again, you can certainly buy it as you go, without a package. If you drink more than 4-5 of booze or sodas per day, then a package might make financial sense.

Tips are per person, per night...and will be charged to your shipboard account....runs around $12-14 pp per night, depending on cruise line and cabin type. That covers everyone (except room service delivery folks) who serves you...no additional is needed. Any drink you buy will have 18% added to the cost as the tip.

I will also be on the Sapphire for a 15- day Singapore roundtrip in Jan 2018. Not sure about your itinerary but if it includes Vietnam too, you may need a visa if your nationality does not exempt you. US, Canadian, Australia & NZ passports needs a visa. UK and others are exempt. If you need one, Princess will secure one for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find the cheapest way to get local currency is to use the ATM and withdraw what you need. I use XE app on my phone to convert to my currency to make sure I get what I need and not too much.

WRT drink packages, check what is included in the package and what packages there are. Some packages are also good for higher end coffees and teas and fresh squeezed juices. So you might make them worth it even if you do not drink that much. Also, the drink packages may go on sale at times. For a cruise coming up, I got the drink package for 30% off.

Lastly, read the threads on Cruise Critic. LOTS of good info here.

Hi there fellow shipmates....

So on the advice of others on here, the full itinerary is as follows.

Sail from Singapore on the 10th March 2019

* 12/3 Kota Kinabalu

* 14/3 Nha Trang

* 15/3 phu My

* 17/3 Sihanoukville

* 18/3 Bangkok

* 19/3 Ko Samui

* 21/3 Singapore

* 24/3 Bali

* 27/3 Kuala Lumpur

* 28/3 Penang

* 29/3 Phuket

* 31/3 Singapore

So these are the destinations, looking it appears the Visa are sorted by Princess Cruises but costs me 1$ does anyone know what the $ on the ship will be? is it American Hong Kong Australian??

Also the drinks package is £46.00 per day.... can you share this package, so can you get two drinks at a time??

Also there is a coffee package of £15 this to me sounds a good deal as ill drink alot of coffees but can you access hot drinks free anywhere all day long??

Keep the advice coming please

Dont have time for this today but you still have not updated your profile with country as you are quoting drinks package in £ and the times of your posts I am guessing UK or Eire.

One important tip not mentioned is, especially as you are booking so far in advance, if you have not done so, get some Travel Insurance in place. It has to cover cruise travel - sometimes as an add on to many policies. I believe though have never done it, if you delve into the

dodgy realms of insurance you can get a policy now to cover just

deposits, then nearer final payment take out cover for the whole thing.

Might save you paying for full cover for the first year.

You cant share drinks packages AND worse you have to buy them for

each person on the booking. (unless (with some lines) you can get a Docs certificate to say someone cannot drink.)

I would be concerned about doing such a long cruise as your first one. Is there a way that, in the meantime, you can schedule a much shorter one to give yourself a taste of cruising.

When I first met my future hubby, he already had taken his first cruise and wanted to do more. I wasn't that gung ho about going on one (been on a three-hour dinner cruise through work and a trip to Catalina Island with my college dorm, which is a short trip, and didn't take up my work on a Princess cruise -- a client in the 80s and they had a few unsold cabins they were offering to our staff for free), so we went on an one-day San Diego round trip to Ensenada, a basic gamblers' special as back then, not too many places to gamble in California, if at all then. Got through with that and we booked a 7-day. Years later, I've been on 11 cruises, he has been on 12, and our now-20-year-old daughter on 8 cruises. Our last three were two week cruises. Haven't been on any in over four years because of college costs.

Hello fellow shipmates...

So i've booked my first ever cruise 21 days on the Sapphire Princess, Singapore to Singapore...its not until 2019 but i like to plan.

I need as much advice as possible on how to get the most from this and how cruise etiquette works... im concerned about tipping and the additional expenses on board, things like are drinks and gratuities packages worth the price? also money as we stop in a lot of different ports do i need to be taking various different currencies...

I know nothing about cruising and as you can see im getting quite confused and worried ive bitten off more than i chew so need advice..

Please Help.....

You have come to the right place, loads of information on here and very helpful. It may be worth you investing in a book about cruising as well. For my studies I joined the library so have been able to get some books out and they gave some good info as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello Fellow Cruisers...

Just had confirmation that this cruise has been cancelled, they are allowing us to rebook for another one and there is one running over NYE is this worth experiencing on the ocean??

Can not believe they can just cancel the whole cruise like that and all ive been offered is a $15 on board credit!!!

:eek::eek::(:(