Odessa America Gruziya

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I remember and sailed on her Feb 18, 1995. Still have the Odess America brochure Cruise Line of the Czars. Probably a collectors item now. There were only 110 passengers...ship would hold 400. Ship was spotless. Russian/Ukrainian food. The trip was a real adventure with the highlight being a van trip 4 hours inland to the Ruins of Copan. The Hondouran people were the poorest of poor but happy. My wife still talks about "her little Jenny"...A small girl who was selling replica artifacts. The children were agressively persistant but pleasant and when you would say no they would reply with "maybe later..maybe later? It was truly an enjoyable trip for us. We have been on 13 cruises but will never forget this one.

Yes, I remember and sailed on her Feb 18, 1995. Still have the Odess America brochure Cruise Line of the Czars. Probably a collectors item now. There were only 110 passengers...ship would hold 400. Ship was spotless. Russian/Ukrainian food. The trip was a real adventure with the highlight being a van trip 4 hours inland to the Ruins of Copan. The Hondouran people were the poorest of poor but happy. My wife still talks about "her little Jenny"...A small girl who was selling replica artifacts. The children were agressively persistant but pleasant and when you would say no they would reply with "maybe later..maybe later? It was truly an enjoyable trip for us. We have been on 13 cruises but will never forget this one.

How nice to Know someone how remembers this ship, been on a few cruises, but as you said, i will never forget this one..Yes I took the tours to copan, at that time the they had a road construction, it was an adventure and copan its a dream!..I remember the crew almost no one spoke inglish and on their off time, you can see them learning english...

the cruise director i remenber was from cuba..and spoke spanish!

Thats why i prefer small ships that mega ships..its not the same to serve 800 that 3000!

I found out that this ship name now its Van Gogh doing (British Isles In Bloom) and (Norwegian Fjords Apple Blossom)...I miss this ship..I loved the itinerary they used to have..

thxs

carmen

• 9 years later...
  • 4 months later...
any one remember or sail on the Gruziya from Tampa? to Honduras/Belize/Cozumel( playa del carmen)?

carmen

My first cruise ... Round the World on the Oriental Carnaval in 1972...a cargo ship...28,000 miles. It seems I sailed on the Gruziya shortly after that. Ports were primitive and a joy.

• 8 months later...

We just returned from a cruise on the Oceania, Riviera that called at many of the same ports that we first saw on a cruise aboard the M/V Gruziya. We sailed on her Grand Trans-Atlantic Passage Sept 21 to October 8. 1994. I couldn't wait when we arrived home to pull out the book I kept on the voyage. It brought back many memories of the many voyages we made on her and of all the lovely friends we made among the Ukrainian crew and entertainers and the Canadian cruise staff.

I have all the daily programs and many pictures but I didn't save the brochure and I don't have a deck plan for the Gruziya. I wonder if such a thing exists.

Wonder what finally happened to the Gruziya? I imagine that she has gone to the breakers by now. I can follow her career as far as the Van Gogh. Does anyone know of her disposition?

Carolyn Miller

• 5 years later...

Came across this today ! Comments on Gruziya were six years ago now, 2017, but  our cruise out of Tampa on the Gruziya back in the very early 90's on Odessa American lines (cruise line of the Czars as they called the line) was one that has always stood out even after all these years and some 80 plus additional cruises. Adult son. raised in the modern era of cruising, has just recently sailed on a small, less than 900 passenger, old school ship in a European line. NOW he finally can understand my nostalgia for promonade decks, old teak loungers, no roller coasters or rock climbing, just passengers in wood deck chairs reading novels to pass the days at sea, and dinner and really engaging conversation was the highlight of each day. No "upcharge" alternative restaurants, no standard plated hospital like meals, everything ordered separately, the potato, the veggies, the entree, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a postcard for the Gruziya with the Black Sea Shipping Company in my collection. 

Sent to scrappers in 2022

Ship History: 

• 1975–1995: Gruziya
  • 1995–1999: Odessa Sky
  • 1999: Club 1
  • 1999–2009: Van Gogh
  • 2009–2022:  Salamis Filoxenia
  • 2022: Phoenix Titan
  • 2022: Titan

image.jpg

image.jpg