3 in a room?

retrolane

Hello, I am considering the American Duchess Creole Christmas cruise. I will be traveling with my son and daughter, both in their 20's. Can we do 3 in a room? or is it better to get my son his own room? Don't know how it works for 3 people. Any input appreciated.

Although I can't comment on the American Duchess, I did stay in a AAA cabin on the American Queen with my sister and my 89 year old father. I slept on the fold out which was surprisingly comfortable, although I'm sure not as comfortable as a regular mattress but should be fine for your children. The cabin attendant makes up the fold out in the evening and folds it away in the morning so you would have use of the entire cabin during the day. We had an extra sink outside of the bathroom and a dressing table of sorts so one bathroom wasn't an issue for three people. For us it worked out well.

I'm not familiar with cabins on the Duchess but the footage in the AAA's was 230 sq. ft. I believe the cabins are a bit larger on the Duchess so you should be quite comfortable.

Since the AMERICAN DUTCHESS is not out and operating yet, I'm not sure anyone can give you a good answer. Also fitting three in a room comfortably also depends on the room grade which you select. I'm sure if you are thinking of one of the two deck rooms having three in the room would be no problem, but an inside room might cause some difficulty.

Thanks ya'll, I was told I would have to book 2 cabins to accomodate 3 people on the Duchess, so I booked a cruise on the American Queen. They are letting me do 3 people in a cabin category B on the observation deck.

I think that you will enjoy the AMERICAN QUEEN! She's bigger and has an interesting steam plant and calliope onboard. Also, and perhaps more importantly, there are nice wide guards to promenade around along with more public interior spaces to sit and watch the shoreline and other boats pass by. Looking at the deck plan for the AMERICAN DUTCHESS the number of windowed public spaces looks very limited.

What room are you in, as all B category rooms do not have a sofa bed? I can check on it's size from a sheet I have from 1995 when the AQ came out that has the WC dimensions, the square footage of the living area, and the bed configuration.

I too loved the MQ. I was on her first successful round trip out of, her then home port of, Cincinnati in 1978. There was never a bar on any other boat or ocean going cruise ship like the Paddlewheel Bar. Listening to fantastic ragtime and watching her wheel roll was an incredible experience never to be forgotten.