Snorkeling at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman for Non-Swimmer

TraJo

Need some advise please. I am a non-swimmer, but a decent floater lol. I would like to try snorkeling and have seen posts saying you don't have to be a swimmer because the vests make you float and you just have to put your head in the water to see the fish. But since I don't swim and have never snorkeled, is it best to do it as part of an excursion or would I be okay on my own at Eden Rock? I'm sure I could maneuver out a little ways but don't want to venture out too far from shore in case anything goes wrong. Any suggestions?

I am a poor swimmer. When we are in Cayman, I take a water ski belt and it is perfect! We snorkel at Eden Rock and I can easily get out a bit further.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome, thank you! I will look for a water ski belt!

1. I think you should learn how to swim before you try snorkeling - you will be more confident, feel safer, and your experience will be that much better.

2. I think you should certainly not try to snorkel on your own - especially if you don't know how to swim.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NO

first my qualifications: first began working as a lifeguard in 1971 and eventually retired in 2007 ....

if you can not swim you do not have ANY reason to be in water deeper than your ankles

PLUS

Eden Rock snorkeling is 'big boy' snorkeling .... not like putting your face down to see something and then standing up. Water depth averages 40 feet .....

btw here's from a tour provider in Cayman's web page:

What do I need to bring on the snorkeling tour?

The most important thing to bring is an ability to swim. The crew conducts a

"how to snorkel" class on the boat for those who have never snorkeled, but

you do need to be able to swim. We provide you with a safety vest (Our

Insurance companies require them to be worn at all times in the water) and

you can rent mask, snorkel, and fins or use your own.

a 'safety vest' is provided for 'safety' .. to be inflated IF you get into trouble

if you use the vest just to 'feel safe' then you have NO safety reserve ..... so when "s@@t happens .... then folks like me jump in to 'save' you ... I'm sorry if I'm frank but often I saved you from yourself!!!!!!

well ... I tried to explain it .......

is Snorkeling without being able to swim, is simply foolish. I cannot think of any riskier behavior. Lifeguards on the beaches in the Caribbean are non existent. Relying on anything other than a full life jacket, which will not allow you to snorkel, is putting your life in danger. The vests they give you are meant for swimmers, as sthey can easily turn you upside down. They are emergency devices, not meant to be used for fun.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think we'll just hang out at the beach. I hear 7 mile beach is beautiful and if we are lucky, we may see some fish close to shore.

I know Cayman intimately and Eden Rock is a crappy snorkeling site.

The best snorkeling is just north of the public beach, straight offshore from the cemetery. The public beach is free and everyone on the island knows where it is. Get in a taxi and go. All it will cost you is cab fare.

• 1 month later...

There is no reason you couldn't snorkel without being able to swim, if you do it within your depth.... so you can stand up if anything goes wrong. Bermuda is definitely good for this, and I'm sure there are other places as well.

If you are going to be where you can't put your feet down, then you need to be able to tread water in case you get water in your mask, or down your snorkel .

Hell, NO.

Yes there is a very good reason why you should not go snorkeling if you can't swim. "Good" snorkeling spots with lots to look at are on coral reefs. Standing on coral kills it.

There are a few places where there is decent snorkeling in a non reef area. Snorkeling around piers and floats is good for that, those structures attract fish but are surrounded by sand.

In Cayman, book a trip to Stingray City. This is a sandbar in very shallow water where lots of rays and fish congregate looking for handouts. It is a lot of fun and there's nothing you can damage.

Please, I beg all of you nonswimmers, do NOT stand on coral. It takes a reef hundreds of years to recover from that.