Roald Amundsen in Antarctica 2018

BORDER REIVER

Friends of ours, who like us have been Hurtigruten customers in the past, have asked our opinion on the offers for the inaugural season for the Roald Amundsen. For us, even the offer of free flights to and from the UK wouldn't tempt us. At over 20,000 tonnes and over 300 passengers (I think I saw 350 mentioned), it just seems too big with far less chances of getting ashore. Nice ship though. Any thoughts or concerns?

I would go in a heartbeat! This ship is also specifically designed for expedition cruising, and is all electric, so virtually noise free. This should result in more wild life sightings and enjoying the silence of the wilderness areas.

I would go in a heartbeat! This ship is also specifically designed for expedition cruising, and is all electric, so virtually noise free. This should result in more wild life sightings and enjoying the silence of the wilderness areas.

I'm with you in some respects, but not as far as Antarctica is concerned, with limited numbers allowed ashore at any one time. Even the “special offer”of single passengers paying the same rate per person as other passengers wouldn't tempt another friend who sailed solo on Fram lastyear. She valued every minute of her time ashore and would happily pay the extra cost of sailing in a smaller ship and occupying a double cabin to get as much time ashore as possible.

As regards the ship, it looks and sounds amazing and would be great for expeditions in other parts of the world.

I'm not sure how the two ships compare with regards to Ice Classification.