Scuba/snorkeling Tahiti & Tuamoto Islands?

KathiB

We are doing the 11 night Tahiti - Tuamoto cruise July 1, 2018 on the Wind Spirit. We would like to scuba dive at at least one or two port stops. Looks like the scuba is offered on the ship in Tiputa, Rangiroa, and Raiatea, and Bora Bora. I think we can also book independently on Fakarava and Moorea. Which 2 would offer the best experience? Should we book with the cruise ship or use independent operators...if so, who do you recommend? We are occasional divers and are wondering if Rangiroa is too advanced. Any other must do excursion suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Private excursions are best, which is what I did on two trips there. Tiputa Pass on Rangiroa is challenging, but doable for an occasional diver. Get the Inter-Island Pass and it can be used at multiple shops for a discount. There also is another pass, but I don't remember the name of it right now. Get on Google and research operators, and then contact them. I dived there in 2011 and 2014, so operators may have changed since then.

We are doing the 11 night Tahiti - Tuamoto cruise July 1, 2018 on the Wind Spirit. We would like to scuba dive at at least one or two port stops. Looks like the scuba is offered on the ship in Tiputa, Rangiroa, and Raiatea, and Bora Bora. I think we can also book independently on Fakarava and Moorea. Which 2 would offer the best experience? Should we book with the cruise ship or use independent operators...if so, who do you recommend? We are occasional divers and are wondering if Rangiroa is too advanced. Any other must do excursion suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

You should probably plan on booking through Top Dive. They have operations throughout French Polynesia, and offer a package that can be used as you visit the various Islands. They're top notch in terms of both equipment and personnel.

Be forewarned, diving in French Polynesia is expensive (as is pretty much everything there); however, it's completely worth it.

If you have your own gear, you likely should bring adapters. it seemed like about a 50/50 mix of DIN and yoke, so whichever you have be prepared to adapt over. My recollection is they included nitrox if you're nitrox certified.

Harris

Denver, CO